Tour of Champions Chester- Official Thread 7/30

Uniform change could backfire. It is a big risk, but exciting no doubt.

Uniform change will be great for most fans and, although I prefer the traditional uniform, I give them credit for taking the risk. Key thing to remember is that crowd excitement might not necessarily translate to higher scores from the judges. We'll find out soon enough.

Uniform change will be great for most fans and, although I prefer the traditional uniform, I give them credit for taking the risk. Key thing to remember is that crowd excitement might not necessarily translate to higher scores from the judges. We'll find out soon enough.

It also may not translate to a lower score either.

• Like 1

Maybe the judges are color blind- so they REALLY won't care

• Like 1

The way I see it, and I am not claiming to be an expert, I think it will either improve the score or it will not do anything at all.

Phantom Regiment:

This show is exceedingly mediocre. There isn't that much that it does wrong (though I could do without most of the voice overs), but there isn't much that it does right, either. While I'm not quite on Brutus levels of thematic focus when it comes to design, I do like to have some cohesive thread leading me through the show. City of Light doesn't really have any such thread; the voice overs would say something like "Taxi!", but I would not have any kind of indication, visually or musically, that we were even in a city. Contrast, for example, with 2005 Cavaliers, who conveyed Chicago rather effectively.

The brass was noticeably a step down from Crown and SCV; section features aren't quite as tight, ensemble moments weren't quite as large. The very last chord caught me by surprise, because the synth adds some volume to the corps, which I hadn't been expecting all show.

The percussion is not very good. Many times of noticeable dirt; for example, the opener battery feature, and the snare brush writing.

Musically, I enjoy a lot of the arrangements, though sometimes I want more from the ensemble. Visually, the design mostly reflects the music, but not necessarily the City of Light theme.

The organ needs to be mixed down at the end. I understand what they're going for, but it's too much.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 2

The way I see it, and I am not claiming to be an expert, I think it will either improve the score or it will not do anything at all.

Maybe the judges are color blind- so they REALLY won't care

I think it will be a cool thing for the crowd to watch, but I think the performance the members give off will have a bigger effect on their scores as opposed to the uniform change. That COULD be a good thing (or bad thing depending on how you look at it).

• Like 3

The uniform change *alone* probably shouldn't affect the scores one way or the other. If it allows the drill to appear cleaner or less cluttered, that's the positive impact. If it causes the corps to appear less clean, or adds to drill clutter, it's a negative impact. The corps being in something different might have an affect on the crowd (and likely will, given the next two performances are essentially home shows), but I wouldn't expect that to translate into GE numbers.

That said, I like the picture I saw of the black/silver (it looks like silver in the photo at least) uniform. It should be interesting to see on Saturday in Allentown.

• Like 1

More thoughts:

Crown:

I think that the Ode to Joy impact could have the choir patch louder, even after hearing the hit live. The brass does an amazing job at conveying the orchestra, and the choir patch rounds it out. They just need to bring it up a little bit.

SCV:

I'm shocked that this percussion book is winning. From a playing standpoint, the achievement is there. However, the notes are very sporadic: There are many times where the front ensemble is tacet for a minute or more, or the battery is tacet for an extended period. There's nothing wrong with tacet, but it's excessive.

Phantom:

Most of my thoughts are above. There's not much more to say; Regiment has really not recovered from losing their all-star duo of Shaw and Rennick to SCV.

• Like 1

As in lights turning on early or not turning on?

Some came on early at various spots, and at the end when they were supposed to come on a few didn't.