Tour of Champions Chester- Official Thread 7/30

There is someone named Laurie on periscope LIVE from the show check the map....

@laurie_reyes for those on android without the map. SCV doing their closer

SCV is incredibly musical. The pit, the drill, the battery, the guard. I loved it. Just outstanding ensemble sound and, which I adore, very consistent foot technique. Watch out for them these waning days of 2015.

SCV show awesome but there is way too much dirt in their feet this late to be a serious medal contender. I think they stay 4th or 5th. Drums are great as usual. The LEDS really show up great in person even though there were a few wardrobe malfunctions

Santa Clara Vanguard:

My overall impression of this show is... Confused. As in, the show is confused with itself. The percussion seems to do its own thing, the brass does its own thing, the Tesla coils do their own thing, and every now and then everything lines up.

The opening front ensemble feature was not tight; not sure what's going on with early percussion features tonight. The visual package during this feature is also confused; its sporadic, there doesn't seem to be any direction to the movements or pauses.

The opening hit is very nice, very strong. Immediately afterward, however, everything breaks down into chaos; whether it's designed that way or not, everything seemed unfocused. The playing is fine; the design is haphazard.

The theremin gag is cool, but the sound is overused outside of the percussion feature. It sometimes overpowers other interesting things happening in the brass.

The ballad is beautiful, although I wish that they would mix down the front ensemble. SCV's brass is fabulous, and they need to feature them.

The Corigliano drum break is great.

More thoughts later.

• Like 2