Is this the year the DCI champs wins without winning any captions?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the closest to that happening was in 1991 when Star of Indiana won the championship with only taking 1st in GE. I believe a corps could win without winning a single caption, but it would be very rare, because the corps would have to be a very very very close second in every caption and the second place corps caption finishes would have to be very spread out(such as 1st in brass and 7th in percussion). I guess this could happen, but it would be very unlikely.

It almost happened in 1991. Star tied with Phantom for first in GE. Star tied with BD and SCV/Cavies in brass and percussion, respectively, but BD won brass and SCV percussion by strength of the GE score. Star placed third to Cavies and Phantom in visual.

So Star won without winning a caption outright. But they shared the high GE score, and the high brass and high percussion score (even though other corps were named as the 'winners' of those captions.)

Edited by mfrontz

It really is possible this year, mainly for BD. They could win GE and visual captions, but not guard, brass, or percussion.

So it also comes down to whether you consider visual (apart from guard) as a caption. I find a hard time seeing a champion who doesn't win GG, Brass, Percussion, or Visual proficiency.

Edited by cadet93

I think the closest to that happening was in 1991 when Star of Indiana won the championship with only taking 1st in GE. I believe a corps could win without winning a single caption, but it would be very rare, because the corps would have to be a very very very close second in every caption and the second place corps caption finishes would have to be very spread out(such as 1st in brass and 7th in percussion). I guess this could happen, but it would be very unlikely.

That is exactly what happened in 1991. Cavies were down in brass and Phantom in drums. SCV and BD were championship strong in one caption only. Whether it can happen today? Not sure. Making it much harder to do is the 'music analysis' caption which takes the place of ensemble percussion and brass, the change of GE Vis from 15 to 20 points and the addition of the color guard caption. Achievement of the brass and percussion sections ON THEIR OWN accounts for far less of the score.

Edited by mfrontz

That is exactly what happened in 1991. Cavies were down in brass and Phantom in drums. SCV and BD were championship strong in one caption only. Whether it can happen today? Not sure. Making it much harder to do is the 'music analysis' caption which takes the place of ensemble percussion and brass, the change of GE Vis from 15 to 20 points and the addition of the color guard caption. Achievement of the brass and percussion sections ON THEIR OWN accounts for far less of the score.

Yep - that is why I think it is possible for BD to win that way this year.

Cadets could easily be 5th in color guard, and Crown 5th in percussion.