Is this the year the DCI champs wins without winning any captions?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BD can win Gold and win Visual.

Cadets can win Gold and win Music.

As far as captions:

Crown (brass, guard).

Cadets (brass, percussion).

BD (guard, percussion).

Those are the possibilities.

You have to go back to the last time a "national" championship was held prior to DCI starting up.

Santa Clara won the 1971 VFW Nationals, despite the fact that Troopers won marching (like they ALWAYS seemed to do in those days),

Blue Rock won percussion, the Argonne Rebels won brass and the 27th Lancers won GE. SCV tied for 5th in marching, was 2nd in percussion,

2nd in brass and 2nd in GE.

From what I've been listening to when they give out captions, it's Total visual, Total GE, color guard, brass and percussion. Plus drum major (not a score caption). Correct me if I'm wrong. Of course this is based on the captions scores from all 3 (quarters, semis and finals). But again it is a possibility based on caption scoring and the champs being scored on finals night that they could not win a caption and still be the winner.

Has there been a DCI Champion ever that wins without winning a single caption? This season being so close it just might be. Probably not but it's a possibility.

Sort of. 1991 Star didn't win a single caption outright. I think they tied for 1st in three captions.

This year though, no - Crown will also win Brass and Guard.

This wasn't at finals but at the American International Open in 1975 all captions were won by Santa Clara except for one (brass) but Madison won by the show by 3 points by only winning horns. I remember them naming off every caption winner as they were giving the scores that night and thought for sure the Vanguard had one.

something GE will have to be won.

When talking about the sheets, I use "captions" to talk about all the individual columns (GE Music, GE Visual, Visual Proficiency....Percussion). But for champs, should be careful about "caption awards" which are Total GE, Visual Proficiency, Guard, Brass, and Percussion (and are 3-night averages).

I CANNOT imagine a championship corps on Saturday night not winning a single column on the sheets. It's also very difficult to not win any caption awards -- the only example being Star's ties. The corps would essentially need to have 2nds all the way across, and the adjacent corps all over the place and summing up worse off.