Carolina Crown 2016

Crown is off to a HOT start!

Edited by DWilliams

I am prepared for the crown homer backlash but there needs to be some negativity amirite??

After seeing run throughs of crown, bd and cadets.

Crown may look the best but I feel like the show reminds me too much of boa to break past 3rd place comes finals.

So much for matching medals.

Just an opinion after all. :)

• Like 1

Wow is that a good show. Felt like a placeholder ending though, but I can't wait to hear this one develop!

Mike

They will add their signature crown formation at the end. They didn't add it last year until, I believe, Nashville.

My admittedly hypercritical opinions as I watch the show for the second time:

I like the tone set at the very opening of the show. It really sets up the western vibe, with the chains and other ambient noises. i do feel like it could somehow have a sadder tone, or sound forewarning. However, as soon as the hornline plays their first note, it completely makes up for it. That opening brass music sounds exactly how i imagine the prologue to Romeo and Juliet would sound, which fits perfectly for what the show is about. It sounds like the hornline is the narrator and setting the stage for the story that is about to be told. Really wish this moment could be a little bit longer.

Once the battery beings playing, the mood switches and you can immediately tell that you are now being told the story. Great transition in my opinion. Everything leading up to and including the first impact is excellent in my opinion, but its lacking visually. I believe this is the part where the first murder occurs (as signaled by the bell sound afterward).

I'm not entirely familiar the source music, so I won't call it by name, but the next movement is a bit too chaotic. Its clearly a very difficult passage, which I appreciate, but i think it changes too much. There is almost no repetition and I feel like nothing lasts long enough. There is no melody to be stuck in your head after you listen to this part. Everything is so abrupt and changes so quickly. It is really not very comfortable to listen to, although I guess that could be the point. Hopefully this is a moment that sees some redesigning.

I believe the next movement is called Roxanne? I really think this section fell flat for me. It feels like something straight out of high school marching band. During the whole percussion feature in the beginning all we get is choreography. It doesn't take much to design some stand still body movement for the hornline. And percussion features are always the PERFECT time to really show of some visual design skills, because you have the majority of the ensemble not playing for such a long time. After the tempo increase, i think everything is much better. The trombone soloist is wonderful, but the actual solo is just okay. I feel like there could be more substance to what she is playing, but they just didn't give her much.

The opening of the ballad was nice. The ballad really is more powerful the beautiful. And we've already seen the corps's ability to play powerfully. I want to see them play beautifully. We saw a small showcase of that ability at the very beginning, but I want to see more. I also wish they had more of a visual impact during this apart. Maybe they could drop the sabres our and replace it with a flag feature? I think it would be much more effective

As for the closer, that hornline feature was crazy. Really cool technical moment. Stunning playing by the hornline the whole way through. And of course this movement will end up changing a lot before finals night.

Overall impressions:

I think the show has a nice concept that needs to be fleshed out more. Aside from the first few minutes, you really cannot tell the story line at all (at least in the videos i've seen). Hopefully this improves throughout the season. I do think the show is really lacking visually. I think with this concept the setting needs to be more obvious in terms of visual elements. I think they need more props, and more meaningful props. The stagecoach is cool, but it really serves no purpose other than setting off the western vibe. I think more could be done to create the real ambience the show needs.

I think BD and Cadets are putting out much more cohesive visual packages currently. I also think their hornlines are currently ahead. There are some bright sounds coming from Crown's hornline and some dirt towards the back end of the show. However, I'm sure everything will be fixed by finals. Currently though I would have my money on one of the other two corps, mostly from a design perspective.

I will end it by saying I have a much better first impression than I had last year! It definitely is an awesome show :laugh:

This is definitely where I am on the show. I wasn't really getting into the program, I just didn't feel that emotional connection that one can get. Objectively it's fantastic performance, and they really show off what they can do technically but I don't feel they do it as musically as they could be (I have the same complaints about Cadets program too). I will say I like it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I did last years show when I saw that in Akron.

• Like 1

The irony is not lost on me that the Troopers ditched their Western programming style this year to be "more like Carolina Crown" and known for their sound, not their show.

Then Crown debuted their Western show tonight.

Mike

• Like 2