Carolina Crown 2016

I think it's a choice rather than an issue. Seems like a lot people want to make "use the whole field" a "check box". Heard the same criticism of BD this year. IMO creating environmental challenges is really all that's required. And Crown certainly has plenty of those. The whole "they don't use the whole field" is what a lot of HS band have been told by judges who don't know any better.

Full expanse is an option to use as a potent spice. One would think if you're strangling your playing space by a stagecoach and cemetery, and you're smushing your action into a small playing space, you almost have the obligation to prove those staging choices aren't an obstacle. This show takes place in the wide expanse of the desert and outback. The opening set is probably the best place to hit the yardlines to set that scene.

Edited by Channel3

It's abundantly clear that this Crown show is loved and getting incredible crowd reaction. Credit to any other corps, but it is Crown's show that gets people on the feet DURING the show, and an incontollable standing ovation at the end.

Regardless of where Crown finishes, the members can take pride in having the favorite show of those who are lucky enough to to see it live and first hand. And yes, Bloo gets their fair share too. But it is Crown who captures the emotions of the fans in attendance - and it doensn't seem to be even close.

As for Finals? Well, it's a new day, new panel, new show. Everyone is at the starting line. Performance order has proven to mean little this year. The withholding of recaps, in my opinion, has been a success. We have suspense, volatility, excitement, and intrigue. Of course, having three championship shows so close in value to one another hasn't hurt either.

Go Crown! Have the greatest run of your life - TWO MORE TIMES!

• Like 2

It's an option to use as a potent spice. One would think if you're strangling your playing space by a stagecoach and cemetery, and you're smushing your action into a small playing space, you almost have the obligation to prove those choices aren't an obstacle.

Oh geez, man. Can you please stop with all the negativity in here. The show is in solid third - can we just enjoy it?

Edited by FancySnack
  • Like 3

It's abundantly clear that this Crown show is loved and getting incredible crowd reaction. Credit to any other corps, but it is Crown's show that gets people on the feet DURING the show, and an incontollable standing ovation at the end.

Regardless of where Crown finishes, the members can take pride in having the favorite show of those who are lucky enough to to see it live and first hand. And yes, Bloo gets their fair share too. But it is Crown who captures the emotions of the fans in attendance - and it doensn't seem to be even close.

As for Finals? Well, it's a new day, new panel, new show. Everyone is at the starting line. Performance order has proven to mean little this year. The withholding of recaps, in my opinion, has been a success. We have suspense, volatility, excitement, and intrigue. Of course, having three championship shows so close in value to one another hasn't hurt either.

Go Crown! Have the greatest run of your life - TWO MORE TIMES!

Ummm, one more time lol...

....but I agree. I am absolutely fascinated with Crown's show. The opener alone makes me wanna jump out of the stands onto the field. It's incredible.

• Like 2

....but I agree. I am absolutely fascinated with Crown's show. The opener alone makes me wanna jump out of the stands onto the field. It's incredible.

I was counting the championship run. That makes 2 (fingers crossed!)

But, I am with you!

• Like 2

Ummmm......I think he meant at Finals and then the ENCORE!!!

• Like 3

Full expanse is an option to use as a potent spice. One would think if you're strangling your playing space by a stagecoach and cemetery, and you're smushing your action into a small playing space, you almost have the obligation to prove those staging choices aren't an obstacle. This show takes place in the wide expanse of the desert and outback. The opening set is probably the best place to hit the yardlines to set that scene.

Yes. Precisely "smashing the action" in the corner of the field on side 2. It's BRILLIANT. The bad guy is cornered. Watch the rifle work and the terrific acting by the charaacters. The entire horn line helps capture the bad guy by making a rifle formation on the field. The use of the field is fantastic. You speak of story arcs. You've got one. Follow the stagecoach and you follow the story. Think about the entire use of the field at the opener. The corps is scattered all over the field.

I enjoy your provocative posts, but I think you're reaching on this one.

I agree with the previous poster.

Just enjoy the show - forget the scores (unless Crown wins)!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Crown's storytelling skill this year surpasses BD. One of the big hurdles is simply selecting a story that works in this medium. After all, drum corps a largely non-verbal medium performed in a large scale stadium. The story of The Tempest is convoluted and Byzantine to start with, including ten main characters. In its original form, The Tempest is communicated solely through the spoken word. Not the best choice for a non-verbal medium on a massive, long distance stage. In fact only a tiny backfield Prospero, a handful of Calibans and two young lovers cut the clutter in this production, and for the most part, these characters don't interact.

In addition to a super sharp staging and clarity, Crown's new ending smacks with immediacy and powerful political relevance.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 4