DCI Suggestion Box

I found BD's show as incomprehensible as their placement. A cultural stream-of-consciousness soup, performed clean as a whistle--meh.

There are fifty or so BD fans on my Facebook page, at least, and every one of them avoids this place like the plague because of all the irrational, nasty hate-filled comments about the Concord kids.

Do you really find that comment by drangin to be irrational and hate-filled? I just see someone who didn't like their show.

DCI should RETURN to the days of NO electronics, no vocals, (sorry) NO trombones/F-Horns. A MAJOR CHANGE needed in order to promote QUALITY and fairness during finals week is ALL scores earned during Prelims, Semi and Finals should be used and the WINNER determined based on the teams with the highest average scores. I for one am NOT willing to support an activity in which ONE panel of judges is allowed to make the call. The GRAND Champion should be based on the most consistent team during FINALS WEEK!

Where exactly do you want your time machine set for?

You don't say "no contras", or "no pit", or even "only G instruments", so . . . 2003?

On the other hand, you don't want the scoring system that was in place then. Or ever.

Popularity contests don't really tell you who won.

So if you win a popularity contest, you didn't really win it?

:satisfied:

• Like 2

The same way you put a number on every other aspect of the sheet... subjective assessment of objective criteria.

You made my point beautifully. Thanks.

Well, I'd like to stress the part that you didn't bold: every number, including brass and percussion performance scores, is actually subjective.

It's just that the staff and judges have agreed to share a particular subjectivity.

I might prefer what you'd call noise to what you call music, and thus hate brass that play in tune or drums that play together.

If I did, there'd be no place for me in DCI, because the powers that be have subjectively decided that opinions like theirs are preferable to opinions like (hypothetical) mine.

Crown had the banners, scrims, people getting slashed and turned into demons, being dragged back into the fire, etc. etc. On the flip side, BD had tons of clever humor, from the rifles up and down the chairs, to the seductive boy band wearing huge bushy wolf tails, three blind mice dancing with canes and shades, etc. etc.

Wow. I watched both shows multiple times, including at least one live viewing of each, and I paid close attention to everything I saw (and I have extensive notes to prove it), but I never saw (or maybe recognized is the better word) either of the bolded elements. It just goes to show how there's so much to see in a drum corps performance that no one viewer can take it all in. (I daresay that includes judges.) I remember of Boston's 2013 show how many people missed the phoenix rising from the ashes drill until someone posted a clip of it in a thread here after the season was over.

These people matter very very little to the kids on the field in 2015, who see 2008 Phantom Regiment as ancient history. The people of the '60s were dinosaurs to the kids who marched in the '70s. The kids who marched in the '80s thought the '70s were ancient history. Those of us who marched in the '90s watched the shows from the '80s and we were GLAD we didn't do that old-school stuff, and the kids of the '00s thought my '90s shows were horribly outdated. Now the kids of the '10s look back and see the 00s as ancient.

So we're agreed that today's drum corps is already old school--or out-of-touch, full of dinosaurs, etc.--but it's just that nobody can see that yet, is that right?

I have a question. So DCI involves corps from around the world (hence the "International"). Do any of you think that a corps from another country will ever make it to Finals, or perhaps medal, at the World Championships? I think it would be neat to start having some other challenges from other countries.

We've had corps from Canada (another country) make Finals.

Right.

De La Salle Oaklands were seventh in 1974, and their successor, the Oakland Crusaders, were sixth in 1975 and eighth in 1976.

Seneca Optimists were tenth in 1976 and eighth in 1977.

And Dutch Boy was twelfth in 1990.

I don't know enough about international drum corps today to say whether any are good enough to make DCI Finals.

(On the DCA side, there have been a number of Canadian corps in Finals, I believe, as well as one from the UK and one from Japan.)

“Subjectivity measures nothing consistently.”
Toba Beta, My Ancestor Was an Ancient Astronaut

“It's not objective. It's subjective.” Katya hooks her bra behind her back. “It's just what you think, not the truth.”
E. Lockhart, Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything

Sounds like you may not understand what it takes to make that stuff happen.

I'm sure that's true. I just don't like what is happening. Sometimes there is no sound coming off the field other than electronics controlled by someone who isn't even on the field: some educated audio pro who knows how to make things happen. At what point do we stop the charade that there is an age limit for the "performers?"