DCI Suggestion Box

brichtimp, on 10 Aug 2015 - 6:19 PM, said:snapback.png

"Pulsing"can look really false to me and detract from the unbelievable mallet work going on in the pit (IMHO). And, I think excessive Duts are also a crutch to some degree. I don't want to hear it....the composer did not pen Duts into the score.

Absolutely agree.

Spot on.

I agree 100%.

Edited by FlamMan

Here are my ideas...

1. Fire Neulion. Evidently they haven't got a clue. Video presentation platform is trash. Doesn't work on iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android anything... and its 2015? I still can't believe that the 2015 DCI Awards Ceremony on YouTube doesn't work, sure it has 60+ thousand hits but I'd wager 90+% of them were unsuccessful.

2. Gotta get the archives back online. And must make it possible to see last night's show, not just while its going on. Maybe DCI could apply for a grant from some musical history association for the arts or even the feds to fund the corps efforts to secure extended copyrighted material usage rights.

3. Something should be done with the scoring system to get the fans that have paid to be present at a show involved. It would be great to see a corps score well because they were a huge crown pleaser even though their execution might not have been as perfect as another corp's. Maybe something could be done to allow the fans to text an address with the corps number of their choice as the corps they most enjoyed... only announce the address in the stadium and only allow texts to be counted if they come in within a 5 minute period. The technology exists, its 2015 and lots of fans have texting capability. Do a field test making it a component of the score, maybe call it "General Effect-Human".

Thanks for listening.

I actually found that viewing the webcasts through my iPad using the DCI.org app (you DID have to use the actual DCI.org app and then go to the "Live" section) worked better than watching it on my Macbook Air. I was streaming from my iPad mini to my Apple TV to my 55" and had rather good results. Macbook Air was a little jittery going to Apple TV for some reason. But in short - the live streaming DID work on both iPad and iPhone. Can't speak for Android.

Edited by JCMusic251
  • Like 2

oh no swami, it can come from heads too. watch a bettery some time...you can see it there too.

Of course, And I don't suggest they be completely stoic, either. But I have first-hand knowledge of a top-6 corps whose center snare was bobbing his head so much that the judge's comment was both a comment on the distraction and a concern that his hat may fly off.

Said head-bobbing stopped by the next show.

To watch him in the lot there was no doubt that he was "grooving" but, on the field, it was a complete distraction. Why is it acceptable in the pit if not on the field?

Swami. Heh.

:sarcasm:

If we were to demand a removal of "excessive head-bobbing in mock emotion" from pit members...are we also ready to demand a removal of the sudden body-swaying, horn-angle changing, outward physical demand of "HEY!!! LOOK AT US!!! LOOK AT JUST HOW MUCH WE'RE INTO THE MUSIC" motions from the horn lines common during park-and-bark high points in the music??? To me, at least, the two share very similar realities...and sometimes, rather false expression.

Oh I'm with you on this one! Huge pelvic thrusts and bending backwards are not needed to play louder and higher. In fact, if it's not just for show but actually needed, then its a sign you're using pressure to get higher which is poor technique.

Bring back America the Beautiful all corps finale!!! And don't tell me someone is going to be "offended."

• Like 1

Oh I'm with you on this one! Huge pelvic thrusts and bending backwards are not needed to play louder and higher. In fact, if it's not just for show but actually needed, then its a sign you're using pressure to get higher which is poor technique.

We'll save the pelvic thrusts for the third installment of Phantom's Parisian Tryptich, "Last Tango In Paris."

They should have a "Fan Favorite" award! Starting on preliminaries they should have fans be able to vote for their favorite show through some type of social media app and add up all the votes from preliminaries, semis and finals.

Fantastic idea and it wouldn't be difficult or expensive to implement. It would be fun for the fans.

A drum major that conducts while moving around on the field on a roving platform (as a part of the show with the members)...outside the box, innovative. A fluid drum major.

The only problem i see with this is people have more biased favorites because their children march that corps and things of that nature. Mostof the people that attend these shows arent fanatics like we are. And some just dont have a clue.

I don't see a bunch of parents skewing the results of something like this though - because every corps has parents of marchers. The fan favorite would still come through. You fanatics who thumb your nose at those who "don't have a clue" can still decide the fan favorite.

• Like 1

Fantastic idea and it wouldn't be difficult or expensive to implement. It would be fun for the fans.

It wasn't that long ago that they had a "Spirit of Disney" award or something like that, which is tantamount to your suggestion. Whatever happened to that?