DCI Suggestion Box

It wasn't that long ago that they had a "Spirit of Disney" award or something like that, which is tantamount to your suggestion. Whatever happened to that?

I think this Fan Award is a fantastic idea. It would lessen a lot of the bickering and resentment (between corps, between fans and corps, and between fans and judges), plus make it more enjoyable for the fans knowing they have a voice and buy-in.

A low cost option: Text 2345 to 800-XXX-XXX to vote for Blue Devils. Text 4567 to vote for SCV, and on and on. It would be pretty easy to collect counts for those texts.

Edited by chris7997
  • Like 1

You know how some panels tend to "favor" certain corps? Well, that can lead to skewed finals scores. If you add more judges who are skewed in a different way or not at all, it makes the scores more realistic and not based on bias or bad judging.

It's always the pesky east German judge...

Seriously I think you have a point. In Olympic judged events they have a system that does a pretty good job of eliminating bias, or about as good a job as is possible.

Although the little girl who dreams happily of Sweeney Todd might have some psychological issues to watch out for...

Hey I had a very Sweeney Toddish dream when I was a little girl. Does that mean I have issues?

Some of it can be too much, but I think it's just a way that the members keep themselves "in" the performance and communicate with each other with regards to tempo without having to look at each other (can use peripheral vision). Just my theory though.

Silly me, I thought it was their way to show some swagger.

Hey I had a very Sweeney Toddish dream when I was a little girl. Does that mean I have issues?

Only with hair stylists.

Regarding my earlier suggestion to get the fans involved in the judging with text messages. Pure and simple is a popularity contest, by definition it will be biased, that's what fans do. I don't see a problem with that at all. Here in the age of fan voting on reality shows and talent shows, I think it works, people want to be involved. No, not everyone in the stands at a drum corps show is a drum corps expert, not everyone is going to vote objectively, hardly anyone in the stands is a there for their first-ever drum corps show. Whatever the case, a small bit of the score determined purely by what the fans enjoyed, might keep people from wondering if the judges really saw the same performances that they did.

If you want to talk about what will make drum corps thrive and grow going forward, I'm almost certain that rewarding technical perfection is not going to do the job because most fans don't see the problems/tics that the judges do. People cough up real money to see these shows, they only get to see one DCI show a year first hand, if you entertain them, if you move them and touch their hearts, if you impress them and then engage them in the scoring, they'll be back and they'll bring their friends.

My money's on "General Effect-3" that gives the fans(that paid to be there) a voice. Hmmm maybe the fans that paid to see the show on DCI Live! should be included as well, that'll cover us fanatics.

I think this Fan Award is a fantastic idea. It would lessen a lot of the bickering and resentment (between corps, between fans and corps, and between fans and judges), plus make it more enjoyable for the fans knowing they have a voice and buy-in.

A low cost option: Text 2345 to 800-XXX-XXX to vote for Blue Devils. Text 4567 to vote for SCV, and on and on. It would be pretty easy to collect counts for those texts.

That is what you guys want isn't it? by all means. start a new band tour and air it on TLC or one of those other fine networks that show "real life people". band mommas who wanna see they baybee. Oh this should be good.

popularity contests don't really tell you who won. it just tells you who fans liked.

judging by the reactions Saturday, the fans liked a lot of the corps

And adjudicated contests just tell you who that particular panel of judges liked. Judges bring along all their own personal biases and human weakness. Any system of adjudication in an activity like this is at best poor. Look no further than figure skating for comparison to a similar activity. Edited by HockeyDad

if your favorite show doesn't win, who cares?!?!?

is your own enjoyment of something dependent on how someone else, in this case a group of judges, view it?

Apparently a lot of people care. You're not suggesting they eliminate scoring, are you?