DCI Suggestion Box

I'm confused why people are confused about why BD is successful.

Not sure if people are confused or just looking for a way to vent that underlying anger people have for them. Success breeds contempt sometimes and that's what it may be. Jealousy could be another reason. Or "Homerizm" of the highest degree lol. :tounge2:

• Like 1

I'm confused why people are confused about why BD is successful.

As a visually oriented person who appreciates good music, let me take a swing at the bat; perhaps not a homerun error, but at least a foul ball rather than a whoosh.

1. The design which is rewarded is not always without its execution errors, some of them quite noticeable. Thus, for many in the activity there are different standards of what one considers "excellent."

2. The design is clever but often takes execution demands out of the visual program. The design "goes around" the sheet while other units are attempting to perfect the demand of the sheets.

For instance, the excellent executing BD guard is often allowed lee-way in design such as few things show full ensemble simultaneous demand. Subjective interpretations without factual precision are scored highly by subjective judges using nebulous scoring standards. Flags and weapons are tossed to performers individually in syncopatic sequence rather than simultaneously. Tosses of equipment from midfield podium performers go to "general area" rather than exact dot or spot. When each performer has one's turn to retrieve, the show has written around the sheets and judge can't "penalize for tics" (no longer the current judging philosophy.) Marching often is done in pods rather than the files, squads, flanks, or fronts others use. Units which aren't as clever in writing can be resentful.

• Like 1

As a visually oriented person who appreciates good music, let me take a swing at the bat; perhaps not a homerun error, but at least a foul ball rather than a whoosh.

1. The design which is rewarded is not always without its execution errors, some of them quite noticeable. Thus, for many in the activity there are different standards of what one considers "excellent."

2. The design is clever but often takes execution demands out of the visual program. The design "goes around" the sheet while other units are attempting to perfect the demand of the sheets.

For instance, the excellent executing BD guard is often allowed lee-way in design such as few things show full ensemble simultaneous demand. Subjective interpretations without factual precision are scored highly by subjective judges using nebulous scoring standards. Flags and weapons are tossed to performers individually in syncopatic sequence rather than simultaneously. Tosses of equipment from midfield podium performers go to "general area" rather than exact dot or spot. When each performer has one's turn to retrieve, the show has written around the sheets and judge can't "penalize for tics" (no longer the current judging philosophy.) Marching often is done in pods rather than the files, squads, flanks, or fronts others use. Units which aren't as clever in writing can be resentful.

My question is, why don't other corps just do it if they know how successful BD is when designing in that fashion? What is wrong with marching in pods? It is still marching is it not? I may not have marched DCI, but from the few times I've watched BD live, their technique has been impeccable, whether they are marching slowly or jazz running. I'm not really going to go into guard since I myself do not understand guard enough to comment on it.

As for execution issues, all corps have them. The Cadets were not impeccable this year, BD wasn't, and Crown CERTAINLY wasn't from what I saw on their finals run. However, look at some of BD's other shows. In 2014, that show was cleaaannn.

Idk. Maybe I am just blinded by my enjoyment of BD's style, but I don't understand why people are confused about BD's excellence.

May I be allowed to play devil's advocate for a moment? I follow exactly what you're saying...however, are you also saying that while this may be a reality in terms of specific adjudicatory practice as it applies to the Blue Devils, such "lee-way" (MY term, for note) is not extended elsewhere? Or...that many other organizations are held to a higher adjudicatory standard that that applied to BD? Personally, I find it difficult to believe that one corps out of the entity of DCI World Class Drum Corps enjoys, on an almost weekly, not to mention yearly basis, a level of adjudicatory ignorance and malfeasance strictly on it's own, and by its' self. Then again, maybe I'm just naive....

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

May I be allowed to play devil's advocate for a moment? I follow exactly what you're saying...however, are you also saying that while this may be a reality in terms of specific adjudicatory practice as it applies to the Blue Devils, such "lee-way" (MY term, for note) is not extended elsewhere? Or...that many other organizations are held to a higher adjudicatory standard that that applied to BD? Personally, I find it difficult to believe that one corps out of the entity of DCI World Class Drum Corps enjoys, on an almost weekly, not to mention yearly basis, a level of adjudicatory ignorance and malfeasance strictly on it's own, and by its' self. Then again, maybe I'm just naive....

I noticed that wording too and decided not to point it out. I'm glad you did.

My question is, why don't other corps just do it if they know how successful BD is when designing in that fashion? What is wrong with marching in pods? It is still marching is it not? I may not have marched DCI, but from the few times I've watched BD live, their technique has been impeccable, whether they are marching slowly or jazz running. I'm not really going to go into guard since I myself do not understand guard enough to comment on it.

As for execution issues, all corps have them. The Cadets were not impeccable this year, BD wasn't, and Crown CERTAINLY wasn't from what I saw on their finals run. However, look at some of BD's other shows. In 2014, that show was cleaaannn.

Idk. Maybe I am just blinded by my enjoyment of BD's style, but I don't understand why people are confused about BD's excellence.

I agree. But if others marched their style then they all would look the same. It would no longer be BD style. It's bad enough with a lot of corps rolling, jumping.leaping. singing. dancing.

I agree. But if others marched their style then they all would look the same. It would no longer be BD style. It's bad enough with a lot of corps rolling, jumping.leaping. singing. dancing.

I agree with that as well. I like the diversity in styles. I just don't understand the hate for a certain style when people can simply choose to like other styles instead of wasting their time on negativity and vitriol.

I agree with that as well. I like the diversity in styles. I just don't understand the hate for a certain style when people can simply choose to like other styles instead of wasting their time on negativity and vitriol.

It appears to happen to corps when the are successful. BD, Cadets, Cavies,.Plus ...It's the internet !! That's what some people live to do !! lol . We all know the kind who go from forum to forum spouting hate however they can then try to defend it.Is it x-mas yet ??lol.