DCA “Parade of Champions” Show in Scranton on August 15th

Well, I predicted all scores too high. Everyone's rate of improvement slowed down from earlier in the season, apparently, but especially the White Sabers, who had seen their scores improve by an average of 3.2 points per week from June 27 to Aug. 1. From the latter show, their score last night was only up by 0.75. Probably that was affected by there being no stronger corps than them at the Aug. 1 show, though it makes me wonder if Sunrisers and Excelsior had also been over-scored at that contest.

Well this makes Clifton even better since most if not all the big eastern corps will be going at it .We'll get to see a much better picture of how DCA will unfold .

• Like 1

Well, I predicted all scores too high. Everyone's rate of improvement slowed down from earlier in the season, apparently, but especially the White Sabers, who had seen their scores improve by an average of 3.2 points per week from June 27 to Aug. 1. From the latter show, their score last night was only up by 0.75. Probably that was affected by there being no stronger corps than them at the Aug. 1 show, though it makes me wonder if Sunrisers and Excelsior had also been over-scored at that contest.

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. :)

• Like 1

Awesome show last night, as usual in Scranton. Crowd was fantastic, and the rain delay was no big deal (it barely sprinkled, but could have been worse).

I hear ya, John... the radar looked ugly for a while, then it all went away. Great night!!!

Keep in mind that there's a law of diminishing returns as scores increase. Every tenth is harder earned as your score increases. From observation with the DCA system somewhere around Eight-Eight to Nine-Oh, it gets tough, from Nine-Oh up, it becomes glacial.

• Like 1

Cadets 2 score was lower because they performed 2nd. I didn't understand the placement for this show. Had they performed closure to the Cabs or Bucs I believe there score would have been closure to both.

DCA uses equal advantage scoring. Performance order has no impact on numbers.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Cadets 2 score was lower because they performed 2nd. I didn't understand the placement for this show. Had they performed closure to the Cabs or Bucs I believe there score would have been closure to both.

here's what you don't get:

the judges can go back and adjust scores if need be. They won the visual sheets, were right there in drums, not that far out in effect....so really, as the brass works to get better, you'll see the brass and ME scores come up, as well as GE music. 1.55 out at this stage is not insurmountable.

They key issue for me looking over the numbers for the top 3 is the spread between book and performer, and in some cases, performer over the book.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2