Judging Tapes for Entertainment and Enlightenment

I know you're probably looking for current tapes but here's field percussion tape for star '93:

There were some star brass tapes floating around that I need to track down. I remember hearing the tapes for '90 and just cracking up at the judge's comments...gushing is probably the right word to describe the reactions.

The 87 SCV opening tape from prelims (?) was really good. The drum judge was very clear with his comments, and they made sense...unlike a Cavies drum tape I heard once where the guy spent more time showing off his vocabulary than actually saying anything meaningful

That clip shoots full of holes the argument that the battery can be judged equally well from the booth.

Those who know Prosperie's lingo understand the depth of playing that would be lost if he were forced into the booth.

don't use logic

• Like 1

wouldn't it be good in the long run for the judges to know that their final judgements will be analyzed?

Why would it be "good," what's your train of thought? Do you think the knowledge that "we're watching you" will in some way improve the judging community's accountability, keep them on their toes, so to speak - something like that?

Interesting perhaps, from time to time, an occasional peek into the thought process behind the numbers. But as an expected part of the spectator experience, I think we can do without it. Peace...

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1

I'd love to hear the guard tape on how the heck the judge could have possibly had Crown 2 tenths behind BD. What a crock!

Posts like this are why we don't need every Tom, Dick and Otto to hear the tapes. The volume of hot air would be insufferable. Peace...

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 3

Both GE tapes for the Coats are now up on youtube. It's great to hear the judges appreciate how ground breaking this show is.

Or should I say "hip"

https://youtu.be/5CDNaZCFl5g

https://youtu.be/mr7lTvOZfZo

And now people will hopefully see just how subjective GE is. I liked Turner's tape, not so much Fugett's. Both had some good insight's but I feel like Fugett focused mostly on the musical side of things and spent half the time saying "wow, that's so hip." Turner made sure to comment on everything from the guard, to the brass, to the visual, to the drum line, and front ensemble.

Why would it be "good," what's your train of thought? Do you think the knowledge that "we're watching you" will in some way improve the judging community's accountability, keep them on their toes, so to speak - something like that?

Interesting perhaps, from time to time, an occasional peek into the thought process behind the numbers. But as an expected part of the spectator experience, I think we can do without it. Peace...

Actually after listening to Prosperie's tape I've come around on this. His passion and appreciation for what he is judging are so apparent. So regarding my original point, while it could encourage more accountability, it may come at the expense of self censorship, and I certainly don't want that.

• Like 1

Actually after listening to Prosperie's tape I've come around on this. His passion and appreciation for what he is judging are so apparent. So regarding my original point, while it could encourage more accountability, it may come at the expense of self censorship, and I certainly don't want that.

His passion and appreciation derive from his knowledge and experience. Same goes for the rest of the judging community.

Even beyond that, these guys are serious about what they do, and whether or not you agree with their numbers on a given night, I think it's fair to say that they do their job with a high degree of integrity and respect for the activity. No need to put the tapes out there for the purpose of encouraging "more accountability." That would be an unnecessary, misguided mandate.

Peace, thanks for the dialogue.

Fred O.

• Like 1

Besides the fact that judges know their tapes ARE being analyzed on a regular basis by:

* corps staffers, designers, and directors

* corps members

* DCI judge Caption Heads

Those folks above, who regular review and analyze judge tapes, are FAR more important to the judge than the regular public. Judges know that "pleasing" the above folks (by having a logical, correct tape) is all that matters, and typically get that the average DCI fan has little/no clue about judging and their irate rants are likely do to a misunderstanding of the process

• Like 2