Judging Panels/ Full?Partial? Good/Bad/Fair?Unfair?

I know this topic was discussed in the beginning of the season .Now that the season is over, maybe a serious discussion is needed to see how we all feel about this and what can be done to fix the situation. My opinion is that it is unfair to the corps that have to settle for judges missing from panels because of the cost of flying them all over while other corps get full panels more times than not. Imagine going to a baseball game and seeing no home plate umpire because MLB couldn't afford to fly one in. How would the results be affected?. Similar situation?? Fair/unfair to all??

Edited by jonwoody

I know this topic was discussed in the beginning of the season .Now that the season is over, maybe a serious discussion is needed to see how we all feel about this and what can be done to fix the situation. My opinion is that it is unfair to the corps that have to settle for judges missing from panels because of the cost of flying them all over while other corps get full panels more times than not. Imagine going to a baseball game and seeing no home plate umpire because MLB couldn't afford to fly one in. How would the results be affected?. Similar situation?? Fair/unfair to all??

Actually, the home plate umpire analogy is a good one to use in the field judge discussion. Imagine trying to call the pitches from the announcer booth.

But, to your point, I absolutely do not think that a circuit, a group, a cabal on the west coast that finds a way to pay for full panels and requests same from DCI should be penalized and prevented from doing so simply because other corps/groups/cabals choose not to or are unable to do so.

For DCI shows, they choose with approval of the board which shows have full panels and not. I would only object to west coast full panels if they asked the other corps to help pay for those full panels. They are not.

Not enough of the other directors care enough about it to vote to prevent fully-paid-for full panels, so should we care?

• Like 2

Remember...it is the corps that make up DCI. The corps directors have agreed that they would rather have the funds that might be used on full panels go to other NEEDS for some of the shows early on. If the outcry for full panels came from the directors...there would be full panels.

And FWIW... I have seen baseball games get by on less than a full compliment of umpires. I would also point out that for major games (such as NCAA Championships) and for MLB Playoff games is when baseball goes to a FULL PANEL of 6 umpires.

• Like 3

My opinion relates to how marching band works. Early season you know what your problems are with people playing. So when you get a tape for brass you pretty much hear about how you need to separate to get feet out of the sound. If you already know what the comments will be it's not necessary to hear them. Later on they will be able to give detailed on what's wrong when you have more blend and dynamics into the show.

Having a Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum Judge.. or without a Brass judge... or without a Guard judge.... lets be honest with ourselves here, is pretty silly and ridiculous when we think about it. But.. we do live in a free country, and people do have the right to do silly and ridiculous things. If, for whatever reasons, Corps and Shows want to get together and have silly and ridiculous halfazz panels, and be the subject of snickering as a result of this mutually agreed to format, they are perfectly entitled to that, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Having a Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum Judge.. or without a Brass judge... or without a Guard judge.... lets be honest with ourselves here, is pretty silly and ridiculous when we think about it. But.. we do live in a free country, and people do have the right to do silly and ridiculous things. If, for whatever reasons, Corps and Shows want to get together and have silly and ridiculous halfazz panels, and be the subject of snickering as a result of this mutually agreed to format, they are perfectly entitled to that, imo.

I guarantee you that 99.991% of fans (and not 99.992%) have no idea of the full/partial panel debate.

The snickering would be so quiet you couldn't hear it through a tissue.

• Like 2

The corps can choose to be evaluated however they like. They've chosen to skip execution judges at most early season shows, so obviously they don't think that's silly or unfair.

As a fan, why do you care whether there is a brass judge or not? Does it somehow limit your enjoyment of the performances if there's no guy in a green shirt writing on a sheet labeled "Brass Performance" in the pressbox?

I guarantee you that 99.991% of fans (and not 99.992%) have no idea of the full/partial panel debate.

99.999% of the country never heard of DCI and have no idea what we are talking about here on DCP on anything at all.... but so what ? I don't care what these people think on the matter either. Nor should you, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

As a fan, why do you care whether there is a brass judge or not? Does it somehow limit your enjoyment of the performances if there's no guy in a green shirt writing on a sheet labeled "Brass Performance" in the pressbox?

I can't can't speak for anyone else here, but my enjoyment levels with a Corps shows has never been predicated on a Corps scores, placements. As an example of this, yesterday I posted my 5 favorite shows for the summer, and one of them did not finish in the top 15 this summer. So its never meant a wit to me if they decided to give the kids a full judging panel or a halfazz size one. I just commented on this OP's new thread question to us here that its pretty ridiculous and silly to have a Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum judge.... or a Brass judge..... or a Guard judge. I think these kids bust their arses with a 100% commitment in their performances, be it June, or August. if Corps and Show Sponsors decide however not to match that 100% commitment and instead assign them less than full panels, then thats their perogative. I think its unfortunate, and silly, and that it never used to be this way either.. But in any event, in reply to your question now, the size of the judging panel has no influence at all on my enjoyment levels with these Corps shows.

Edited by BRASSO

What is unfair is a singular judge with the power to influence placement at finals. Since so little separates the top corps, one out-of-whack caption score can cause undue influence over the proper placement of corps.

I firmly believe that prelims, semis, and finals should have some correlation with each other. It doesn't even have to be an average score. You can give a weighted score to finals. However, prelims and semis should have some impact on the overall score to determine the champion.

• Like 2