Audition Numbers

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forums so I'm not sure what kinds of responses to yield from this.

I plan auditioning for a trumpet spot in a world class corps this year. I have an idea as to who I'm auditioning for; but that doesn't pertain to this question. I will be a rookie this season so I'm new to this aspect of the DCI world. My question is; what are some typical numbers of how many people audition for a trumpet line. I know that the numbers vary significantly between corps, so specifically, I am interested in the trumpet audition numbers for Bluecoats, Bluestars, and Madison Scouts.

I would imagine an exact number is going to be pretty hard , but even a rough estimate would really help!

I look forward to finally getting this question answered..

Thanks!

If I read your post right...You are asking what are the different numbers from each of the 3 corps above...to gauge where you would have your best chances...

It is not necessarily the numbers you need to be concerned about per se...it is the experience level of the potential candidates that will apply...

Bluecoats is going to be the hardest just by the sure fact they have medaled the last 2 years..while a rookie is not out of the question I'm sure they will be pulling from a pool of candidates with a very high level of experience of marching with either returning vets or other lower tier corps with multiple years of experience... Anything is possible...there are always exceptions to what I've stated above...

Moving down the food chain I would say Madison Scouts will be the next hardest... Reason being they have done a great job rebuilding their brand the last several years and did fairly well competitively this past season...

Third and easiest will be Blue Stars...I think the retention level may be a bit less than the other two...it really has nothing to do with the corps itself...I tend to believe the competitive inertia ideal...you can just do a search about that...

So although I haven't provided you with any specific numbers I hope this insight helps in your application process this fall...and best of luck with whomever you choose and potentially get a call back...If one doesn't work out don't give up...you can always build experience and then transfer in a season or two assuming you haven't waited til almost aging out...I almost waited too long myself...no better time than the present to apply and follow your dreams...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

I don't have numbers for any corps regarding trumpet specifically. I would just say be teachable and adaptable. Be a hard worker and a good listener. Know that veterans in the line may seem very distant at first, even if they make efforts to connect. They are reconnecting with each other after months apart, and they have a very strong bond, but they'll make room for people who are patient, open minded, and work hard.

No matter where you audition, you'll learn some good skills for any future auditions you might encounter. Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out!

Edited by TerriTroop

What Terri said. Honestly, don't sweat the numbers. Be on time, be attentive, retain information, ask questions, and act like you want to learn. If your musical and marching skills are at least in the same ballpark as the others, it's your attitude and willingness to learn that will break any ties in your favor.

Go get 'em.

• Like 2

Madison tends to always have lots audition for the hornline. Bluecoats certainly will being where they placed. So practice your pieces, study how they march, take direction well, and whatever you do, don't accept one of those "alternate" positions. Get a spot, or go to a corps that you can get a spot so you'll march the show, get better, and then come back to audition again.

The numbers can change based on the amount of returning vets. I tried out almost 15 years ago for a top 3 hornline that had 80 baritone players vying for essentially 2 open spots. This is an extreme example though. I'd say there's more turnover today than there used to be.

Either way, it doesn't matter.

Here's a mantra that I always tell auditionees to adopt: don't give the staff a single reason to doubt your skills or work-ethic.

Work with a teacher/instructor/professor whatever on what your strengths and weaknesses are. Get an honest assessment of your skills before auditions, then work on your areas of improvement -- along with the stuff in the audition packet.

Show up prepared and confident, and act like you belong there (without being a dick about it).

• Like 3

Don't be discouraged about auditioning as a rookie for Bluecoats. The son of one of my friends auditioned this season for Bluecoats as a rookie trumpet player (still in High School) and was selected. (Needless to say, he was quite happy in the lot after Finals Retreat.)

So, work hard -- both music- and marching-wise. Come prepared. Soak up everything they teach at the camps. Remember the folks you are auditioning for are teachers -- they are really on your side and want you to succeed. If you don't get picked by one of your "dream" Corps, take the feedback they give, and go audition and march somewhere. You'll gain valuable experience that will serve you well.

All the best!

I'll echo what the others have said, although my kid was never in the horn line. Don't focus on what everyone else is doing, focus on what YOU are doing. Be prepared to play the materials that they provide/request, do a visual audition, and likely have an interview. They are certainly going to be not only looking for capability, but POTENTIAL as well. You need to show them that you have BOTH.

Most of all, be easy-going and show that you are a team player that can get along with others, take direction well, and not question the things that you are told. Keep in mind that if selected, you will be at monthly camps and then spend 60+ days with these folks this summer. It's not like summer band. You live, breathe, eat and sleep alongside everyone else in this corps, so they are definitely looking for people who they know they won't have to chase down to get on the bus, will be out on the field on time, and are cool people that are easy to get along with. I've known of more than one insanely talented kid who either got cut or weren't invited back to a corps over these personal issues.

Good luck! And, the corps that you are auditioning for are certainly not out of reach for a rookie, but they will be more competitive than the others particularly after all these corps just had very successful years. Should it not work out with the corps that would be the pick of your litter, get a spot somewhere and MARCH. You only get to do this activity when you are young, so make sure you do it!

Don't be discouraged about auditioning as a rookie for Bluecoats. The son of one of my friends auditioned this season for Bluecoats as a rookie trumpet player (still in High School) and was selected. (Needless to say, he was quite happy in the lot after Finals Retreat.)

One of the featured soloists was also a rookie.

• Like 1

One should be the very best that one can possibly be. And for most, this will end up being light-years beyond their own belief and perception. No matter how good you may be, or how good others think of you, you can always be at least 1% (or more) better each day. This goes far beyond simply being one as a player, tosser, or drummer...most importantly, it becomes a matter of being better as a student, and as a person. Aim and strive to improve yourself in those areas...and the rest will speak for themselves.

Edited by HornTeacher