A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

with closely contested years like this one, one rogue judge in a caption could make the difference in total score.

I believe there are two things regard Final placements...

1. Corps have to bring it in all captions every night to be safe

2. Judging needs to be more consistent to avoid that "rogue" number.

Example of both needed...

GE 1 - Judge 1: Crown went from down 0.1 to down 0.4 to BD Semis to Finals

+

GE 1 - Judge 2: Crown went from up 0.2 to down 0.1 to BD Semis to Finals

Equals going from up 0.05 to down 0.25 to BD Semis to Finals

I believe there are two things regard Final placements...

1. Corps have to bring it in all captions every night to be safe

2. Judging needs to be more consistent to avoid that "rogue" number.

Example of both needed...

GE 1 - Judge 1: Crown went from down 0.1 to down 0.4 to BD Semis to Finals

+

GE 1 - Judge 2: Crown went from up 0.2 to down 0.1 to BD Semis to Finals

Equals going from up 0.05 to down 0.25 to BD Semis to Finals

But corps also do not have the same exact performance every night. Many people have said Crown did not have as great a show Saturday night as they did Friday, while BD had a better run Saturday. If that's true (and I did't see either performance so I'm only going on what I've heard/read) then I would expect BD to move up in captions Saturday.

But corps also do not have the same exact performance every night. Many people have said Crown did not have as great a show Saturday night as they did Friday, while BD had a better run Saturday. If that's true (and I did't see either performance so I'm only going on what I've heard/read) then I would expect BD to move up in captions Saturday.

Exactly, they don't always have the same performance level, BUT they should. This is an activity based on repetition and sustained achievement.

Find me any activity in the world, including performance, sports, etc. where you'll find the type of consistency people are looking for, and then there's a point.

I went to Vegas and saw Ka a few years back, and right in the middle the hydraulic on their stage malfunctioned, the show stopped for 30 minutes, and then resumed.

Put that onto the Broadway stage, and things go wrong often enough that people talk about it.

Then put it into the hands of members of DCI corps, that are between 14-22 years old, and you're NEVER going to have that type of consistency.

For god's sake, a great hitter in baseball has an average of .300.

It's nice to say that groups SHOULD have that consistency, but that isn't possible and expecting that is absurd, so you will see fluctuation in numbers simply because these performers are human, and there will be errors in performance.

It's nice to say that groups SHOULD have that consistency, but that isn't possible and expecting that is absurd, so you will see fluctuation in numbers simply because these performers are human, and there will be errors in performance.

I agree, they obviously aren't robots, but people shouldn't complain about Crown not winning if they were consistent through Finals.

I agree, they obviously aren't robots, but people shouldn't complain about Crown not winning if they were consistent through Finals.

Totally agree.

This certainly was my impression. I was at quarters, semis, and finals, and full disclosure, I wanted Crown to win. That said, I felt that Crown's best show was at semis (the quality difference in the fluglehorn solo was very noticeable for one thing -- the mike failure really hurt the effect). Meanwhile, BD was clearly getting better each night, and peeked at finals. In my opinion, at finals, BD was the better corps, and they deserved the title.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1