Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

It is very clear that one of the residual benefits of seeking to reinvent the idea of a DCI show is that you have to plan things out way in advance. You just cannot throw 160 kids out there and even think you could execute an idea like this unless you have been working on every single detail for many many months. Listen to the pre-show commentary, it is very clear they have been working on this specific idea for a full year.

That may well be a luxury most corps cannot afford. But it sure sets the bar fantastically high!

For me, this is the most exciting part of what is happening. If corps MUST plan this far out, work this hard, scheme effects this thoroughly, and are rewarded for it in scores, financial support, and merch sales, we are on the verge of an entirely new age of show production.

160? Was there a rule change?

I thought the max was 150. Did I miss something?

I think that their show is innovative in the fact that they are synthesizing recent ideas and bringing many things together into a total package. Many of the classical composers that we consider the greats (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and so on) did this same thing. There were others before them that introduced theories and ideas into music, then these greats took those ideas, added their own tweaks, and built them into something amazing that changed mainstream music. On a pop music level, the Beatles were kind of the same way.

This is what Bluecoats have done the last few years with show design.

Wow. Comparing 'Coats to Bach, Mozart [friggin' Mozart? Really?], and Beethoven?

Dem's some big words, right there.

"New ideas about how something can be done".

Considering that WHAT is being done is the same (entertaining and competing using musical performance on a football field), is that something being done using "new ideas"? Well, sure, but don't we get that every year in this activity?

CAN there be anything in this activity that is truly INNOVATIVE? Or is it simply "different" from what we've seen before?

Has anyone clapped the corps onto the field? No. That's new so would qualify as innovative.

Does spreading the pit quality as innovative? I don't think so; lots of variations of pit placement have preceded 'Coats' version

Do the half-pipes qualify as innovative? I would say no; ironically, no because, primarily, because of their ramps from two years ago!

Is their spread across the field innovative. Definitely no.

Does their music book, or even their articulation of it, represent new or innovative? Definitely no.

Their drum book? No, it's not even close to what Cadets are playing.

How do I define "innovative"? Simple. have I seen it before or not?

Admittedly, that's a high bar if only because I've been watching drum corps for 40 years. But I listened and watched very closely last night in the theater (I admit I may feel differently watching the show live) and I saw some very cool stuff. But was it "innovative"? No by Webster's definition, and not by mine.

Waaaah......waaaaah.....waaaah.