New Mercedes Benz (ATL) Stadium

Georgia State University bought Turner Field and just finished phase one of converting it to a football stadium with brand new FieldTurf. For a drum corps show, this stadium could easily hold 12-15k in good viewing locations for the front of the field.

Listed phase one capacity is 25k but that doesn't include the upper deck seats. Actual physical capacity right now is in the neighborhood of 35k, 40k if you include the "orphaned" upper and mid deck seats behind the visitors sideline. The picture below shows the lower and middle bowls.

The stadium has nearly 50 premium suites (about half of which would be ideal for a drum corps show) and a premium hospitality space in the north endzone. A video/tv booth has been constructed in the suite level right on the 50 yard line.

GSU's marching band annually has a sizable contingent of members marching in DCI/DCA. The marching band director was a soloist with the Cadets in the late 90s and regularly judges DCI shows across the country.

This stadium hosted the 1996 Olympic Games and countless baseball games between 1997-2016. Not to mention over 6,000 parking spaces in the immediate vicinity with excellent vehicle access...

lQMY1HK.jpg

georgia-state-stadium-petit-field_150221

P2VbVaC.png

Edited by Jothcra
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2015 at 2:40 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

DCI will have a venue, if they choose to use it. Ga Tech will take any event if you're willing to give them some money. The problem will be logistics... there is NOT enough room down there for all the buses and trucks.

Pretty sure that Atlanta's new soccer team, which tied up Grant Field this year and pushed the DCI show to McEachern High School, will be in the new Mercedes Benz stadium next summer. If so, I hope Georgia Tech does get the show. I like outdoor shows better anyway ( unless of course it's raining). 

55 minutes ago, Jothcra said:

Georgia State University bought Turner Field and just finished phase one of converting it to a football stadium with brand new FieldTurf. For a drum corps show, this stadium could easily hold 12-15k in good viewing locations for the front of the field.

Listed phase one capacity is 25k but that doesn't include the upper deck seats. Actual physical capacity right now is in the neighborhood of 35k, 40k if you include the "orphaned" upper and mid deck seats behind the visitors sideline. The picture below shows the lower and middle bowls.

The stadium has nearly 50 premium suites (about half of which would be ideal for a drum corps show) and a premium hospitality space in the north endzone. A video/tv booth has been constructed in the suite level right on the 50 yard line.

GSU's marching band annually has a sizable contingent of members marching in DCI/DCA. The marching band director was a soloist with the Cadets in the late 90s and regularly judges DCI shows across the country.

This stadium hosted the 1996 Olympic Games and countless baseball games between 1997-2016. Not to mention over 6,000 parking spaces in the immediate vicinity with excellent vehicle access...

lQMY1HK.jpg

P2VbVaC.png

While that's a nice stadium, I'll miss being able to book a room at the Omni and walk to the Dome for the Regional.  And not having a long, late night drive home.

The new Mercedes Benz stadium is very very nice and will be used for the BOA Atlanta Super Regional. We'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a real shame that Georgia State's new/old stadium wasn't ready a couple of months earlier because it would have been a great alternative to the Georgia Dome since the new Mercedes Benz stadium wasn't nearly ready in late July. And it would still make a great alternative in the future if negotiations to use the new MB stadium go south. I think it would be a much better alternative than Georgia Tech, simply because of the lack of parking at Tech and abundance of parking at Georgia State's stadium.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jothcra said:

lQMY1HK.jpg

P2VbVaC.png

Atlanta in late July, outdoors? Many corps would be performing under the hot sun. Spectators sitting through the heat?  Dealing with Mother Nature?

One of the things as a fan I love the most about large shows at a dome is I can plan for the long trip, get my tickets early - all without any chance of poor weather. Nothing better the LOS, 72 degrees, perfect indoor weather!  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

One of the things as a fan I love the most about large shows at a dome is I can plan for the long trip, get my tickets early - all without any chance of poor weather. Nothing better the LOS, 72 degrees, perfect indoor weather!  

Very much agree!  Also want to mention, rain during the day of an event at an outdoor facility has a tendency to discourage curious, new fans from giving us a shot. They'll wait until next year, if that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Atlanta in late July, outdoors? Many corps would be performing under the hot sun. Spectators sitting through the heat?  Dealing with Mother Nature?

Agreed that indoors, while bad for acoustics, is good for taking weather out of the equation. Like I said earlier, the GSU stadium would make a great alternative IF DCI couldn't rent Mercedes Benz Stadium for whatever reason. At least the GSU stadium would have some seats in the shade and lots of  concourse space to get out of the sun.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

Agreed that indoors, while bad for acoustics, is good for taking weather out of the equation. Like I said earlier, the GSU stadium would make a great alternative IF DCI couldn't rent Mercedes Benz Stadium for whatever reason. At least the GSU stadium would have some seats in the shade and lots of  concourse space to get out of the sun.

Around 5-6pm in mid summer, the majority of the home side is shaded. The 400 level is very tall and casts a big shadow over the rest of the stands.

The field truly is brutal mid-afternoon though. Definitely wouldn't be a great place for an all day contest but a smaller one starting around 5 or 6 would be great.