Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

Freakin' IE version I typed the below by hand so hope no typos.... it's Ron Allards RCA championship page.... happy reading....

diceman-radio.com/SrCorps/rcas.htm

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Creating more doesnt mean creating better\ imo. There mare many shows during the season that many spectators think there are way to many alumni as it is. Many say i didnt come here to see this I came to see a contest not a stroll down memory lane. A while is fine some shows its longer than the contest. Creating more also means thinning out. do you think thats good? There are also many corps DCI as well as DCA that do not encourage I&A saying, THIS is you focuse , the team , not the individual. I know many who feel this way.

I'm for creating more competing corps. Creating doesn't mean thinning out. There's a lot of people that don't have options. Rochester had 2 corps, now they have none. You'd have to go to White Sabers. If you're worried about thinning out the big corps by creating new ones, then that's where your staffing, recruiting, etc comes into play. There are areas where there is plenty of interest, but no corps to play in nearby. So by not creating, you drive more people away... That doesn't help to expand the activity.

Each corps can set their own rules as far as I&E. That's on them. I know the Bucs don't do anything with I&E but the CorpsVets do.

IMO Class A would be a whole different feel than Open Class full size corps. Would be a nice choice if both were in the commuting area.

IMO Class A would be a whole different feel than Open Class full size corps. Would be a nice choice if both were in the commuting area.

So are you saying having the Buccaneers as the Open Class in the area and another group as a Class A group in the (relatively) same area. Is this what I'm gathering?

I'm for creating more competing corps. Creating doesn't mean thinning out. There's a lot of people that don't have options. Rochester had 2 corps, now they have none. You'd have to go to White Sabers. If you're worried about thinning out the big corps by creating new ones, then that's where your staffing, recruiting, etc comes into play. There are areas where there is plenty of interest, but no corps to play in nearby. So by not creating, you drive more people away... That doesn't help to expand the activity.

Each corps can set their own rules as far as I&E. That's on them. I know the Bucs don't do anything with I&E but the CorpsVets do.

Im all for more corps. If there in fact is more interest you have to ask then why hasnt one started, because it's nearly impossible today for dozens of reasons. we have to be careful not to cut off our nose to spite our face imo

About alumni again. Other than those participating and a audience at a regular competition how many actually support it? A question which should be asked. It's the same with Open class in DCI. YES it's a needed division BUT how many actually support it. Those poor kids play to empty stadiums.

You mentioned rochester. Now ask yourself WHY are they not around today. Many reasons for sure and many beyond their control I'm also sure.

Edited by GUARDLING

Im all for more corps. If there in fact is more interest you have to ask then why hasnt one started, because it's nearly impossible today for dozens of reasons. we have to be careful not to cut off our nose to spite our face imo

About alumni again. Other than those participating and a audience at a regular competition how many actually support it? A question which should be asked. It's the same with Open class in DCI. YES it's a needed division BUT how many actually support it. Those poor kids play to empty stadiums.

Come out to the Pullo Center in York next Spring. It's going to be all Alumni corps.

Class A plays to an empty stadium. The early Open Class corps play to a nearly empty stadium. The headliner groups (top 5 or so) are the ones fill the seats.

These are all issues that DCA needs to look at. How do you pull it all together? People have said here and other threads that a different ticket packages could help. The alumni show kicks off at 10am... well, 10am is too close to drunk:30 for some on that Sunday morning... I understand putting them on a little later isn't helping due to the heat of the day, but that 10am start time doesn't help.

• Like 1

Come out to the Pullo Center in York next Spring. It's going to be all Alumni corps.

Class A plays to an empty stadium. The early Open Class corps play to a nearly empty stadium. The headliner groups (top 5 or so) are the ones fill the seats.

These are all issues that DCA needs to look at. How do you pull it all together? People have said here and other threads that a different ticket packages could help. The alumni show kicks off at 10am... well, 10am is too close to drunk:30 for some on that Sunday morning... I understand putting them on a little later isn't helping due to the heat of the day, but that 10am start time doesn't help.

Youre right about all those things and it has been like that forever. Can it be fixed? I sure hope so BUT I have also seen over the decades all the good intentions of people with big hearts and a desire to want more and often it ends in disaster . Very often, why? because of a business plan, not a desire to just have more. So many corps folded DCI and DCA mainly because of bad management and unfortunately a well intended heart. who does this hurt? everyone. Many kids have had very bad experiences getting on tour just to cut it short due to money issues and dues not being paid and poor management, by very well intended people.

Filling a void is great, more can be great ,doing it for the sake of just doing it because some think it's needed often ends in disaster. I sound very down on it, i'm really not, I just dont believe more is better. How about fix what we have first.

Edited by GUARDLING

Youre right about all those things and it has been like that forever. Can it be fixed? I sure hope so BUT I have also seen over the decades all the good intentions of people with big hearts and a desire to want more and often it ends in disaster . Very often, why? because of a business plan, not a desire to just have more. So many corps folded DCI and DCA mainly because of bad management and unfortunately a well intended heart. who does this hurt? everyone. Many kids have had very bad experiences getting on tour just to cut it short due to money issues and dues not being paid and poor management, by very well intended people.

Filling a void is great, more can be great ,doing it for the sake of just doing it because some think it's needed often ends in disaster. I sound very down on it, i'm really not, I just dont believe more is better. How about fix what we have first.

I'll agree the business end is where it fails. You have to have the right people in the right places and it has to be solid well in advance.

• Like 1

I'll agree the business end is where it fails. You have to have the right people in the right places and it has to be solid well in advance.

we agree..lol..great conversation by the way. Iv'e seen alot over the years and still do in both DCI and DCA. it's to bad that it werent the so called good ole days or at least what we thought it was but fact of the matter is , it isn't and maybe never was..lol

we agree..lol..great conversation by the way. Iv'e seen alot over the years and still do in both DCI and DCA. it's to bad that it werent the so called good ole days or at least what we thought it was but fact of the matter is , it isn't and maybe never was..lol

I think there's plenty of greatness that lies ahead, it just might be a matter of people knowing when it's time to pass the baton and let someone new take the reigns. The new generation of performers/techs/directors aren't out to change the past, but they are out to make their own place in the history of the activity and be able to pass that on in the future.

Finding the sustainability to keep corps around and keeping the sanctioning body in the black, that's going to be a key component.