Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

The 70s and 80s with MOST corps were a realm of experiences that, I have heard, were not for the faint of heart. This is a stigma that has taken a long time to get over. I know that we still fight that to some degree but it is getting better. Just gotta keep doing things the right way and eventually people come around.

Dan

The 70s and 80s with MOST corps were a realm of experiences that, I have heard, were not for the faint of heart. This is a stigma that has taken a long time to get over. I know that we still fight that to some degree but it is getting better. Just gotta keep doing things the right way and eventually people come around.

Dan

Good point, Dan.

If I "un-retired" and marched in a competition corps today.... I'd be the guy telling the younger people not to do stuff which would get them in trouble. LOL. Times have changed... for the better, IMO.

FYI..... the "un-retirement" part is not happening anytime in this milennium. :tongue:

all you heathen 'city' corps from the East were definitely bad influences and terrible examples for the rest of us "DCA West" upstarts.

Okay, I almost typed that whole sentence while keeping a straight face...... :tounge2:

all you heathen 'city' corps from the East were definitely bad influences and terrible examples for the rest of us "DCA West" upstarts.

Okay, I almost typed that whole sentence while keeping a straight face...... :tounge2:

LOL I heard some Pittsburgh Rockets stories from before our times John.....

"Ham and Eggs" IIRC Steel City was Ham and forget which local brew was eggs..... "You want Ham or Eggs?"

Then the classic detour one bus took to pick up a member at a street corner in the 'Burgh. Guy gets on and someone says "Thought your wife wasn't going to let you go." Response: "bleep her, she thinks I'm going to get a loaf of bread."

Edit: Heard some good Westshoremen stories from before my time. One of the reasons why staff was scared crapless when a bunch of us High Schoolers joined in 74... :wow:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Yup, Corps would mix it up on occasions, that was all part of the game. Today, with the creampuffs that society is creating that would never happen. But, you know what, Drum Corps were able to fill the stands most weekends. YEAH, YEAH, YEAH , I KNOW, wake up and join the real world. Nah, I will take the OLD DAYS !!!!!

Yup, Corps would mix it up on occasions, that was all part of the game. Today, with the creampuffs that society is creating that would never happen. But, you know what, Drum Corps were able to fill the stands most weekends. YEAH, YEAH, YEAH , I KNOW, wake up and join the real world. Nah, I will take the OLD DAYS !!!!!

OK... not quite sure how "corps and corps members causing trouble" equates to attendance at shows. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

And we're talking almost 20 years ago Jeff. Has the disconnect gotten worse?

a lot of it depends on the organization. Westshore folded, people floated away. A few went to Bucs, a small handful to Cabs. some like me had been around it since birth.

even the number attending DCI events has dropped. And with no local show, they had no reason to come around

• Like 2

Everyone looks back at the 70/80's I think with a touch too much nostalgia. I had a great time, but there were things that happened that P****ed me off back then with problem drinking and drug use. Certain folks were excised from Westshore for that, some at the instigation of other corps members. One friend, I can think of by their parents. For the record, yes, I did some goofy stuff, but after watching several corps-mates get out of control and make total a-double-esses of themselves early on, I didn't think it was the smart thing to do nor the right thing.

The one thing Dan can say is this to anyone who starts going in that negative direction about CV:

You can't be a top 5 DCA corps anymore pulling that kind of crap. Truthfully, you do that now- you won't beat anyone in Open Class, period. You'd also be a pretty big joke and not respected by everyone else. You couldn't do this activity blazed or wasted in 1979 to 1984 when I marched (Sorry, won't hear arguments you could, prolly because I beat your corps :tounge2: ...) you definitely can't do that now.

Ironically, the one area of the activity that does have these problems in spades is the aspect that the "common folks" so love... the Collegiate end of this. You're not seeing anyone in DCA or DCI beating their Drum Majors to death in a hazing incident or getting 2 dozen page reports written up about endemic issues within the organization with hazing/sexual harassment/soonandsoforth that the Tidbitters at OSU ended up with and then tried to do a lame spin and damage control campaign on DCP after it happened, totally to my disgust. I haven't gone there with the usual drinking spates that accompany most of the bands when they go to bowl games or on road trips. But, I guess that's okay since it's associated with everyone's fave sport and college teams and everyone likes the dancers, loud drony, blatty pop tunes, and drill with a guy kicking a football.

This rant brought to you by the Letter K for Kappa Kappa Psi, which I wish more of my brothers would speak up more about this kind of crap in their college bands... the letter B for Beer, which I did learn to drink in corps but also learned to drink in moderation and not make a bigger idiot out of myself than I already was when sober :satisfied: .... and the letter N for nostalgia, which is a nice thing when not overrated. :satisfied:

More later. Work calls, I just felt this mini-rant coming for 2 days... :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1