Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

In honor of this kooky thread title -- which I love -- after seven years, I have changed the official tagline of my Blog.

Every time I log on DCA forums now, I chuckle. It's the coolest most unbelievable thing. Your activity is dying, many fans and corps have walked away, the historical record of Buccaneers winning the DCA Championship is unprecedented in modern competitive "anything", other than maybe hot-dog eating. Which by the way, became competitive again when they threw out the #1 Japanese guy for not signing a contract. Kinda ironic.

But, here we are. All of that is going on in DCA right front of you -- and my blog is causing the downfall of Western civilization.

That's awesome.

You keep repeating the same things and not actually engaging with the people who are responding to your comments.

Here's one more question you can ignore: how do you know that most of the audience is there for the competition rather than to be entertained by a bunch of performances? At lots of drum corps shows I attend, a good chunk of the audience leaves before scores are announced. If they're not there for the competition, then the (supposed) lack of it won't hurt attendance.

(As regards this thread's title, I'm surprised no one has yet replied, "Thank goodness blog posts aren't killing the Reading Buccaneers!")

• Like 3

Not what you were referring to of course, but other lines from that scene:

Oh, I seriously, seriously, really, really, do so love that scene from Throne of Blood. :laugh: Right up there with the start/first lap of the race, then the wonderful Michael Legrand music kicks in from the Steve McQueen movie LeMans.

That's up there with the first 30 seconds of the 1991 Crossmen program and the last 3 and a half of Tilt. :wub:

And any time Roger Grupp plays.

• Like 1

Here's one more question you can ignore: how do you know that most of the audience is there for the competition rather than to be entertained by a bunch of performances? At lots of drum corps shows I attend, a good chunk of the audience leaves before scores are announced. If they're not there for the competition, then the (supposed) lack of it won't hurt attendance.

THIS is essential to me. Part of it for me if I scoot early is because I don't wish to get caught in the exit rush. Part of it simply is One can look online when they get home and see. Part of it is I'm starved and want to get to the Glider or Six Brothers after the contest.

But yah know, there are many, many shows I enjoy that in the back of my mind, I think, yeah, it's not gonna win or it didn't win or in certain cases place well because of x, y, or z- so what? 1990 and 1991 Crossmen, Tilt, a lot of Phantom Regiment's shows over the last 40 years... Or... one of those West Coast DCA corps that used to swing by. :exclamation: I really enjoyed Bush and Sky this year. They didn't make finals. So? I still very much enjoyed their performances every time I saw them. It's a very scary area to skate into when you let scores and results shape you own personal tastes.

"I really liked that show, but... hmm, it must not have been good if they were sixth. So, I shouldn't like it as much as I did, maybe..." Man, that's dangerous ground to be mentally walking on and I know some people do and will. Herd mentality, group-think. It's okay to like something that wasn't at the top or to not be as fond of the winner as a fan. It's not a frick-frakkin' crime!

This is a point I see argued repeatedly as nauseum on the DCI side of the board. "Well, it won. Therefore, you should really like that show because it came in first place you know, get with the program, you must be an idiot!" seems to be the side of thinking from some people there.

There are some winning shows I respect and appreciate greatly over the years, but does it mean I necessarily really, really "like" them? No. Being a champion means you best met the rubrics and challenges designed into the judging system from the overall consensus of the adjudication panel at that given contest. It may not be the personal favorite of any of the panel, but that's not what they are paid and assigned to do. You might get into that issue in effect and especially in the communication sub-caption in DCA, however.

Hey, I really liked the 2011 Bucs show a lot. I think I may be one of a very few people living in that forest and have discussed that with some very thoughtful folks, but I haven't railed about it nor demanded anyone think like me on the topic. God help us all if everyone thought like me. No one would get out of bed most of the week if they did! :satisfied:

I have a suggestion.

When the Buccaneers win the 2016 DCA Championship, which they will - and 350 fewer fans and two fewer corps show up to DCA, I hereby propose that we simply cut and paste this thread.

I'll do the same with my blog, that will save everyone a lot of time, which we can all spend watching competitive sports on television.

why don't you offer your expertise to a corps that can challenge the Bucs?

The issue with fewer corps competing and attendance has nothing to do with Reading's success. It's like that quack British Doctor claiming years ago that vaccines caused Autism. Period. No connection. None. No real research nor proof. All retracted later for a lack of any real underpinning of well-researched facts.

Sounds more like someone's bitter for several reasons and needs to periodically scream at the clouds because they occasionally rain on them, they like the attention and they also consider it part of their particular style of performance art. A style that was never fully embraced as much as they thought it should have been in terms of scoring, in terms of what they felt should have been thought of as utterly superior, game-changing, and the best solution to the challenge. It's a risk one takes when one goes counter to the Meta. When one does things like this, one should realize it may not be likely to win, it may not change the game as much as they hoped, it may not be the superior solution to the problem nor the only solution in what is an arena of ideas.

Obviously, one organization has figured out how to come up with the best solution for some time. How? They adapted when the rubrics and system have been changed, in some ways ostensibly to be moved specifically against them. They constantly improve the quality of what they present. They developed an organizational infrastructure and culture that enables them to be successful. I sense more a snide and smug "I know what's best for everyone, just ask me" envy emanating than any legit discussion of real solutions- mainly because there's no real connection between the problem at hand and the supposed cause of said problem.

More Macbeth, Act Five, Scene Five at hand.

historically speaking, you still have more corps competing than you did until around say 2005.

DCA that I remember broke 20 corps at prelims maybe twice before 2005. It's been 20 or above for the most part for the past decade.

No Lee some of us chuckle when we see your latest missive.... You try to come across as being the only one who knows how to do something and you do make some good points. But then you slam anyone who doesn't totally agree with you. And for those of us with long memories there were threads that make some of us leery of what you write now. Starting RAMD threads to try to rile up someone you had problems with (and had problems herself) and then complaining that you were only defending yourself when people called you on it. (How is it defending when you start the thread.)

Edit: Removed second point as found a statement from Lee clearing things up....

Wasn't going to reply but tired of the arrogance. If you want to discuss then discuss, this posting your ideas and then sitting back and waiting to flat out INSULT anyone who disagrees does not help. Do you really want a discussion or just looking for attention?

welcome to Lee.You're with him or against him and he'll ban you on facebook any chance he can.

if you think he's bad here, you should see what he did to RAMD in 1997 after the DCW meeting

OOH, let's all make ASSumptions.

I predict that in 2016, Lee will still think he is the savior to DCA and think that his fuzzy math theory is still correct.

I also predict that in 2016, every corps not called Reading will be doing all they can in the off-season and regular season to dethrone Bucs. Which means Bucs are helping the circuit improve.

Lastly, I predict that in 2016 that less people will be at Championships because no one actually wants to drive up to Rochester AGAIN, BUT that the number of DCA fan network subscriptions will be higher than this year.

• Like 1

a great point Kyle......with fans being down on Rochester, can't travel for a variety of reasons.....fan network numbers can improve. $70 for the weekend. Not bad considering DCI is $99 for the season..that money after expenses goes to the corps.

better to get some money from those that won't go then none at all.

and if DCA could figure out a way to show some shows during the summer, that may HELP live attendance

• Like 4

Making things more competitive..... thinking Cadets2 being runner up with Hopkins and Templin. GH was new to DCA scene as far as running things more. RT NOT new to DCA but new to Cadets organization. Keep it together for 2016 and they have a years experience under their belts (cue evil laugh)...

OOH, let's all make ASSumptions.

I predict that in 2016, Lee will still think he is the savior to DCA and think that his fuzzy math theory is still correct.

I also predict that in 2016, every corps not called Reading will be doing all they can in the off-season and regular season to dethrone Bucs. Which means Bucs are helping the circuit improve.

Lastly, I predict that in 2016 that less people will be at Championships because no one actually wants to drive up to Rochester AGAIN, BUT that the number of DCA fan network subscriptions will be higher than this year.

I also predict that if those Red Osier sandwiches are still being served at the Rochester stadium, the Red Osier stand will remain my first stop as soon as I enter the place. :tongue: