Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

Mike just saying I don't see how having a Class A and an Open Class nearby would hurt recruiting any more than 2 Opens within commuting distance. In fact having one of each would be better IMO as more of a choice in what is done. Yeah I was busy and vague in my post....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Well, if there's a way that there can be a compromise and a competition corps be spun off, then the alumni could go and support the competing corps. I know this is a very touchy issue, but the Bucs and Cabs both have active competition and alumni corps... If it would be possible to branch that out and have more corps do that, you have options for everyone who wants to be involved.

sure. and in this day and age, who is willing to put his financial ### on the line?

I'd love to bring Westshore back. But i'm not taking out a second mortgage to do it, because i'd be divorced and have no house

• Like 1

Come out to the Pullo Center in York next Spring. It's going to be all Alumni corps.

Class A plays to an empty stadium. The early Open Class corps play to a nearly empty stadium. The headliner groups (top 5 or so) are the ones fill the seats.

These are all issues that DCA needs to look at. How do you pull it all together? People have said here and other threads that a different ticket packages could help. The alumni show kicks off at 10am... well, 10am is too close to drunk:30 for some on that Sunday morning... I understand putting them on a little later isn't helping due to the heat of the day, but that 10am start time doesn't help.

shows have always had a thinner crowd when "lesser" corps are on before the big guns in the eyes of the world. this is no new phenomenon.

I remember in the jumble lineup days of prelims, you'd see say Cabs go on early and people would flock in....then disappear for the next 2/3 corps til say Sky came in.

it's like a concert....how many people stay out and tailgate while the opening act is on? tons

• Like 1

shows have always had a thinner crowd when "lesser" corps are on before the big guns in the eyes of the world. this is no new phenomenon.

I remember in the jumble lineup days of prelims, you'd see say Cabs go on early and people would flock in....then disappear for the next 2/3 corps til say Sky came in.

it's like a concert....how many people stay out and tailgate while the opening act is on? tons

As long as they're paying full price for the ticket, it's their money to waste, in effect. :satisfied:

I have followed DCP for a while, but not always posted. In fact, I have typed replies to posts that I ultimately deleted because I felt it was only contributing to the "argument". This thread has been the most positive (in general) dialogue between DCP'ers I think I have ever read. In fact, I am writing in ErieSopMike for President!!!!

I know, Jeff. Understanding is half the battle. (other half red and blue lasers) I really don't know much about the DCA admin structure other than it's very lean and mean (in a good way), and the people they have had involved are really kind and good folks. Available time is their enemy, I guess. It's an uphill battle there in this day and age.

I think, though, the product has really improved and is very watchable at all levels. The 35 member minimum I think has helped, many other very subtle things in the DCA rules/structure as well. I know this problem is also with DCI as well- that whole "if it's not the very best or winning, I can't be bothered to watch it" attitude.

The top 10- I think easily the strongest top 10 top to bottom this season in DCA. Every Open class when compared at any previous top 13-- easily the same I believe. All very watchable.

sure. and in this day and age, who is willing to put his financial ### on the line?

I'd love to bring Westshore back. But i'm not taking out a second mortgage to do it, because i'd be divorced and have no house

The financial end is part of the journey. I know it's not easy with finances being tight everywhere. That's why I suggested starting with something that already has a base, do some minicorps and get back out in the public eye and see where it goes. Yes, there's more to it than that, I'm aware, but starting small is something.

I have followed DCP for a while, but not always posted. In fact, I have typed replies to posts that I ultimately deleted because I felt it was only contributing to the "argument". This thread has been the most positive (in general) dialogue between DCP'ers I think I have ever read. In fact, I am writing in ErieSopMike for President!!!!

Thanks? LOL.

I'll be one to put things out there. I know resurrecting or starting a new group isn't easy, and there's a ton of stuff that isn't seen, but you have to have a few crazy ones in the bunch that have to be willing to get together and try. I'd rather put time and effort in and have it fail than to say that I sat back, waited, and nothing ever changed.

As I've said before, performers and staff are out there. A lot of them don't want to be the ones to open up and take the heat, but would rather just come and perform/teach, so there's gotta be those few that get the talks going, get the wheels greased and moving again.

I'll be more than happy to continue talking with anyone about this in more detail via PM.

Mike hits on one of the real issues at hand when starting up or maintaining a corps.

I can teach. I can play. Put a dollar sign on it and I'm in trouble. Many of us in the activity are. Too many examples of folks like me figuring the money will flow like spice on Arrakis and will take care of itself, and the corps folds through their ignorance. I know better about myself and what I cannot do well. :satisfied:

Growing a team is the way to go. Many models and paths are available to do it. But most importantly the business end of things underpinning the team has to grow and be sustainable, and people like me need people they can trust to make sure that happens. Thank God Westshore had Larry, Craig, and Chuck BITD doing exactly that for us. Whether Larry Hershman meant to do this, he did really impress on me from a young age that the business end of the corps had to be spot on, well-run, transparent, and sustainable for anything worthwhile to take place. The problem is that I don't know beans about how exactly to do that. :satisfied: