Cadets 2016

Tobias

The drill was actually really clean. If I were to analyze, I would say the problem was the black uniforms neutralized how clean the feet were (black hides dirt, but hides clean too) and the guard was so integrated with the drill, they didn't stand out. But that is my opinion, and you are free to disagree.

I was very excited to see them in all black. But I also think the drill looked MUCH better in the traditional uniforms. I like to think they would have done much better placement-wise at finals had they not changed the uniforms. But I guess we'll never know.

I was very excited to see them in all black. But I also think the drill looked MUCH better in the traditional uniforms. I like to think they would have done much better placement-wise at finals had they not changed the uniforms. But I guess we'll never know.

Completely agree^^^^

I don't know about placement, but making changes to the Cadets look should be a crime. The cream/maroon scheme is too perfect to change.

Smearing a layer of cheap cheese over Shostakovich’s 10th symphony was their biggest liability, so I’m inclined to blame the theme if we want to pretend it was merely a design issue but it was due to performance, live at finals week, it wasn’t there, it wasn't clean enough

so 2016, can we can the cheese or is it now part of the Cadets DNA?

Edited by cowtown

Smearing a layer of cheap cheese over Shostakovichs 10th symphony was their biggest liability, so Im inclined to blame the theme if we want to pretend it was merely a design issue but it was due to performance, live at finals week, it wasnt there, it wasn't clean enough

And that's the last anyone ever saw or heard of cowtown. A memorial statue of a cow would later be erected near the shores of the treacherous waters that border Cadetland.

Yeah, I'm with you. Although I honestly didn't follow DCI much this summer as far as live streams and what not, I was excited for the all black, dug the look in pictures, but the videos of the corps performing in all black feel underwhelming to me. I agree that video earlier in the season with their traditional uniforms look sharper.

We'll never know about 2015 Finals placement w/traditional uniforms. Looking at late July shows in TX, Cadets were trending higher (1st in San Antonio, 1st in Houston TOC) but they seemed to also be trending downward BEFORE switching to all black uniforms. I'm not 100% sure of when exactly they changed, but in Atlanta they were 3rd overall, with a solid .55 spread behind 2nd place in GE overall, and 4th in Vis. Their guard was 4th in TX with 2nd in Vis. overall, so their guard didn't seem to change either way with the corps proper uniform color. It would be unfair to BD, Crown & Bluecoats to try and jump to the conclusion "Cadets were scored lower in black" vs a potentially more likely "BD, Crown, and Bluecoats figured out their design issues + cleaned vis quicker and better than Cadets did down the stretch."

We won't ever know, like you say. It seems at the very best Cadets might've placed 3rd, but trend-wise Bluecoats were catching up to Cadets late in the season & might've still beaten them regardless of Cadets' uniform.

Oh well; I will ALWAYS applaud a corps for going for a risky innovation/change rather than playing it safe. Credit to Cadets for coming up with a cool concept and really going for it, even if others were "warning" them it might negatively impact placement! I hope the disappointment in placement doesn't hinder the Cadets' design imagination in 2016 & they continue to 'go for it'

Nice picks of section leaders announced today (cf. site)

Speaks well of the depths of vets returning...

The legacy of Cadet member leadership continues from River Hill H.S., Clarksville/Ellicott City in M.D.

From that one school has come in the past decade of '06-'16 one Cadet D.M., a horn sgt., a few baritone section leaders, a few mellophone section leaders, and a pit leader from that same town..

Great things going on in Howard County evidently.

Almost seems like a local corps.

Edited by xandandl

Smearing a layer of cheap cheese over Shostakovichs 10th symphony was their biggest liability, so Im inclined to blame the theme if we want to pretend it was merely a design issue but it was due to performance, live at finals week, it wasnt there, it wasn't clean enough

Well given the competitiveness of 2015's top tier and the fact that Cadets were very clean at finals where I saw them live, I would have to say it was a design that lacked the depth to continue adding nuances to the show that would have bolstered their GE scores at the end of the season.