Cadets 2016

Tobias

Is that a question or an editorialized statement?

If nothing else it smacks of a sore-loser type of nuance: we lost because the judges are biased. That sir has never been a Cadets philosophy in fact or deed.

Except when it was true, said this alum. :ninja::augen51:

Rebranding might explain the reason for the change of an 80 year uniform's colors. Its really hard to know for certain however. But if rebranding is primarily the reason for the change, then it just opens up more questions it would seem to me. I see no upside to a change of colors in a uniform. Corps have done well with all colors of the rainbow, as well as failed with all the colors of the rainbow. So the colors don't make the Corps... but the colors do help with the identification of THIS particular Corps, imo, because this Corps has singularly utilized the cream and yellow for 80 years. If the Cadets traditional uniform colors were a hindrance to them in competition than a change in colors makes sense on that basis, ie the need for a rebranding, with the scraping of the colors part and parcel of the rebranding.

However, does anybody here think that the uniform colors that the Cadets have utilized in both their Championship years, as well as in their lean years, were in any way, shape, or form contributing to that end result in any of these years ? If your answer is " no ". then you are as perplexed as many others are right now as to why GH has decided to throw his Corps 80 year iconic, traditional corps colors, overboard. If the Cadets uniform colors has neither helped nor hurt them in their last 80 years of competitions, then this dark color they have selected for themselves will likely not effect their scores and placements either. But if thats the case, then the change of their Corps 80 year indentification colors only seems even more perplexing to people, it would seem to me.

Edited by BRASSO

Not sure the breakdown of the numbers, but remember that they intend to have 1 trumpet soloist locked into position the entire show on one of their tower props (if I recall correctly)

I believe that trumpet soloist who stood in front on Sunday will be on the platform the entire show, along with the hoped-for violin soloist.

I like them and I marched 84-85

• Like 3

However, does anybody here think that the uniform colors that the Cadets have utilized in both their Championship years, as well as in their lean years, were in any way, shape, or form contributing to that end result in any of these years ? If your answer is " no ". then you are as perplexed as many others are right now as to why GH has decided to throw his Corps 80 year iconic, traditional corps colors, overboard. If the Cadets uniform colors has neither helped nor hurt them in their last 80 years of competitions, then this dark color they have selected for themselves will likely not effect their scores and placements either. But if thats the case, then the change of their Corps 80 year indentification colors only seems even more perplexing to people, it would seem to me.

Who's to say? They structured an entire show around the traditional uniform in 2010 and came in 5th. A year later, they shook things up a bit and ended up taking home a ring.

I get the desire to stay true to a perceived history, but.... they're colors. Could "Awakenings" be done in Maroon and Gold... sure. Does it HAVE to be done in Maroon and Gold... nope!

Alumni fighting these types of changes are forcing the current corps to pay the price for simply being successful for 80 years. "Because The Cadets (which used to be The Cadets of Bergen County which used to be the Garfield Cadets...) have worn maroon and gold from way back in the day, so it must always be." To me... that doesn't make any sense. No other corps is beholden to that cross.

Rebranding might explain the reason for the change of an 80 year uniform's colors. Its really hard to know for certain however. But if rebranding is primarily the reason for the change, then it just opens up more questions it would seem to me. I see no upside to a change of colors in a uniform. Corps have done well with all colors of the rainbow, as well as failed with all the colors of the rainbow. So the colors don't make the Corps... but the colors do help with the identification of THIS particular Corps, imo, because this Corps has singularly utilized the cream and yellow for 80 years. If the Cadets traditional uniform colors were a hindrance to them in competition than a change in colors makes sense on that basis, ie the need for a rebranding, with the scraping of the colors part and parcel of the rebranding.

Well, they DID explain how the colors are supposed to fit into the show. Besides, there has been nothing put out to say Cadets are forever ditching the maroon and gold, just like nothing was stated to that effect in 2012, nor was it stated they would permanently ditch the traditional-looking uniform when they switched in 2003. In each case, they eventually went back to the traditional uniform. I don't think it's that big of a deal just as other corps change their uniform styles and they're still relatively successful.

• Like 1

. Could "Awakenings" be done in Maroon and Gold... sure. Does it HAVE to be done in Maroon and Gold... nope!

Exactly. I wish I had a dime for every time a Corps with bright color uniforms did a dark theme that season. Or, a Corps with dark uniform colors that season, did a show theme with bright moods, happy themes. So to that extent, MOST corps uniforms that the brass and percussionists wear these days are out of sync most of the time with the theme. Lets be honest about that here. Heck, even the styles of uniforms and headgear does not match the themes most years, most corps. Raise your hand here if you believe ( for just one example of dozens ) that the headgear utilized by the Bluecoats matched the themes they had on the field the last couple of seasons ? It did ? really ? hmnnnn... no, I don't think so. This headgear does not match the themes at all, imo. But the Bluecoats are no different than BD's uniform attire for their " Club Voltaire " themed year either. Nobody really believes that the uniforms and the headgear that the BD brass and percussionists wore that DCI winning season would ever be something we'd ever see on the Club Voltaire stage in Zurich, Switzerland in the early 1920's. ( haha!) So this idea that colors, uniforms need to be " modern" is sort of funny, imo. Heck, the Dadists were the very embodiment of the philosophy to shun the very notion of going " Modern " in their attire, for heavens sake. So MOST ALL Corps have been out of sync with their unforms, + colors, as it relates to their chosen themes for that season. So it sure isn't just The Cadets that each and every season have unis, headgear, colors, etc that really don't match the theme selected that season in many cases in the least. But... we learn to look beyond the incongruity, ie the out of sync attire, nonetheless. Thats why when the " modernists " tell me and others that we need to change the traditional unis and styles, the " new, modern, avant garde " change in unis we see generally doesn't do very much in the least to lessen the out of sync attire with the themes many of these Corps choose for themselves each season. ,... not to this old dog's eyes anyway.

Edited by BRASSO