Cadets 2016

Tobias

Every single corps would tell you there are a lot more benefits to being in, and running, their corps than winning.

But you will never convice me that winning isn't very high on the list of goals for BD, Cadets, Crown and Bluecoats. Very, very high. Wanting, and playing, to win is not mutually exclusive to the other benefits, though, and in many aspects it's that competitive drive that brings the other benefits.

If a kid lacks the competitive drive, and many very talented kids do, they shouldn't march with one of the elite corps.

I'll just leave you with this quote I that was told to us at the very first camp in the 1999 season:

"If you came here for a ring, you better go to another corps."

George Hopkins.

• Like 4

I'll just leave you with this quote I that was told to us at the very first camp in the 1999 season:

"If you came here for a ring, you better go to another corps."

George Hopkins.

Go, Big Apple!

• Like 2

Eh. All the years I've been around cadets I've never gotten that sense.

For example they put in a ton of changes thursday night and the stuff is filthy. Sunday they took the kids to Disney and did laundry. A corps with win at any cost would have practiced. Jmo.

Maybe in 83, 84 that mentality was there. But after winning a few times, winning becomes less important quickly

Having marched 83-85, I can you tell you there was no drive to win. It was a drive to do the "new" as well as we possibly could. Had we been all about winning, we never could have recovered from tying BD for second at semi-finals in Miami. Our motto was "It just doesn't matter!" Especially with regard to scores and contest outcomes. It was all about the rehearsal process and execution of increasingly mastered performances. We were fortunate to win, but we were driven t excel!

• Like 2

I can't believe they changed their uniform colors... Just doesn't feel like the Cadets. In the pursuit of happiness, I feel like they should change back to their old maroon jackets and cream pants. This I believe will change some things for them. I know that looking at each uniform side by side, maroon jacket and cream pants seems like a better choice to me.

I see what you did there.

Having marched 83-85, I can you tell you there was no drive to win. It was a drive to do the "new" as well as we possibly could. Had we been all about winning, we never could have recovered from tying BD for second at semi-finals in Miami. Our motto was "It just doesn't matter!" Especially with regard to scores and contest outcomes. It was all about the rehearsal process and execution of increasingly mastered performances. We were fortunate to win, but we were driven t excel!

Hopefully that has carried on and continues. I know some members don't even ask about scores after. They just try to have a better day from the day before. But I think that carries across many groups, not just at Cadets.

:worthy: Haha! Nice buddy. Thanks. I can't help but notice there's nothing about a stone figure or rising up in the morning :-(

The show isn't quite doing it for me.. yet. I can tell a lot of changes are still coming so I'm sitting quietly and waiting to see how things develop! :smile:

• Like 1

The show isn't quite doing it for me.. yet. I can tell a lot of changes are still coming so I'm sitting quietly and waiting to see how things develop! :smile:

They are not the most popular this year (sans this 612 page thread). At this time, there appears to be 3 (maybe 4) other corps with a better-performed and better-constructed show. But I'm not giving up on Cadets yet. We still have a month in the season left.

GO CADETS!

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1