Cadets 2016

Tobias

I still think the design problem was very early in the process when they changed from a "fantasy" about statues coming alive to something about inner struggles to live an authentic life (or whatever). From something that could have been "fun", they tried to do something "serious". Now "serious" is OK, but it's very hard to do serious things in 11 minutes. But "fun things" can be communicated much more easily and everyone (or most everyone) can "get it". But the story that GH wanted to tell was not clear from the beginning. But that was not evident to him until after the first show. I remember seeing a video of GH walking in a stadium after the first or second show mentioning that "we should have known that would not work" or something similar. And what they had at that point was about 2 points or so behind BC.

But they had just spent 5 weeks learning the show. Didn't someone see this during the process?

The Cadets MM and Staff have worked hard, extremely hard. My last viewing of the show "made sense" (to me), but it was a long time coming. I'm wishing that they can max out the show this coming week.

• Like 1

Yea, I completely agree with you, 2k.

Given the staff and design changes, I think a few people (alumni and fans) probably had unrealistic expectations going into the season. Major changes in design direction take *years* to gel...and the fact that Cadets are where they are is a testament to the members and technical staff.

I like to look at 2016 as Year One of a rebuild...a rebuild that the Cadets are able to conduct on the fly.

I don't think for one second that the design team "was asleep all winter". If anything, the design team's vision and Hopkins' vision weren't aligned, and that's why they've been making the changes they've made (for good or ill).

Should the current design team be in place next year (who knows if they will or not), they should be able to craft a show that will propel the corps forward.

Again, I'll only say, putting this on the design STAFF is unfair. They have basically designed two, and probably closer to four, shows worth of world class design this season, for a concept that was not well conceived...and not by them.

Give these guys and gals a great concept, and they'll win medals. But there isn't another design staff in DCI that could do what these folks did this year. Making them the scapegoat is BS.

• Like 1

That, however, is my frustration with the Cadets this year. Killer kids, killer horn line, killer drum line, killer colorguard...whose adults dropped the ball on their design.

We always see these posts at the end of the season where the corps and marching members realize that design is the very last and most important criteria to be judged. Design is the lynchpin at the end of the season when all the corps are executing at about the same level. All the captions are about at par, and the design rules all.

lost in the shuffle was this riot of a moment at East during the live feed

13876426_10206193310223264_2329977225558

Wow has he been working out through the summer? He looks huge now

• Like 1

Wow has he been working out through the summer? He looks huge now

Didn't he say he spent his days practicing his French Horn?

Playing a French Horn may become more popular if the results are the same.

• Like 1

Didn't he say he spent his days practicing his French Horn?

Playing a French Horn may become more popular if the results are the same.

Time to learn French horn

• Like 2