Cadets 2016

Tobias

Great stuff but wish GH would vid more than half the corps at one time! I saw this from another vid and the field coverage is vast!

I know. It's hard in the stadium they are in right now to get the sense of field coverage. Even filming from the top row or the box

The entire field is used. Folks are being moved to great effect and moved efficiently. Right after this segment the corps does a whole field scatter "chaos" effect leading into the ballad push to the front line. The opener also stretches end zone to end zone and the guard is booking. I'm not sure what they are feeding these kids, but the drill is really open and effective

Anyway - great stuff!

I know. It's hard in the stadium they are in right now to get the sense of field coverage. Even filming from the top row or the box

The entire field is used. Folks are being moved to great effect and moved efficiently. Right after this segment the corps does a whole field scatter "chaos" effect leading into the ballad push to the front line. The opener also stretches end zone to end zone and the guard is booking. I'm not sure what they are feeding these kids, but the drill is really open and effective

Anyway - great stuff!

Yes and the vids I saw and can't share because they know who has them are just great. Ballad is haunting, raw, emotional and the staging is so not Cadets yet you know it IS Cadets yet they put some typical Cadet stuff like this in here and there. Really excited and once you see ballad, you'll understand WHY they couldn't wear the traditional unis Edited by Tobias

I have to say, normally I don't really enjoy the cadets visuals. I certainly respect the difficulty of their drill, but it never had much of an effect on me. Matter of taste.

BUT, this year, from the snippets I've seen, I am really looking forward to their visual program!

• Like 3

cadets with a little blurb of a video with the final seconds of the second number which set up the "ballad"

this was an early attempt through it - so rough as it is, as low quality of a video as it is...

they still know how to run and gun:

https://www.facebook.com/george.hopkins.yea/videos/10153626835576911/

And I thought last year's waltz section was fast...
  • Like 1

I have to say, normally I don't really enjoy the cadets visuals. I certainly respect the difficulty of their drill, but it never had much of an effect on me. Matter of taste.

BUT, this year, from the snippets I've seen, I am really looking forward to their visual program!

I've really liked Cadets visuals - but the past couple years have been a little flat (for me). Like you I'm also really looking forward to the visual aspect this year. I don't think anyone doubts or disputes how great their music captions have been 13-14-15, this year (so far) it seems their guard and visual component will also be very very strong

And I thought last year's waltz section was fast...

Seriously. That was nuts last year and I think this is even faster. Thanks god they attract that kind of talent. I would not be able to move like that let alone play what their playing

cadets with a little blurb of a video with the final seconds of the second number which set up the "ballad"

this was an early attempt through it - so rough as it is, as low quality of a video as it is...

Well well well. I can't wait to see and hear THAT clean. Holy smokes.

Perhaps there is hope for this show yet.

When Cadets announced a change in direction I was afraid of copy-cat cookie cutters mimicking BD and Crown and I dreamed that Cadets would innovate a new and different direction from what others are already doing. I am still waiting to see if that happens.

So far it appears like pick one from column A, one from column B, 2 sides and a dessert (which will hopefully be the closer.)

I do find the pre-show too long for this twitter generation and audience filled withe ADD students and parents. I understand the contrast of emotional horizons the corps is attempting with setting the opener and razing the tempo for the end of part 2. For those with a depressive streak who like dark shows, the Blackheads have definitely given us a heavy dose in the opener and later Mackey, but so far it hits me as if it is Black Crown. Music is great. Last year's problem internally was that music staff chose kids with limited marching experience or skills and the limited design and internal visual stress (the Black unis were imposed, not a consensus) hampered development. This year's style seems more accessible in many ways, doesn't have the same demands, but the demands that are there are still vulnerable and need a full summer of cleaning. I am confident that an on-sight live viewing may reveal other strengths, but what is seen on the field isn't always visible in the box.

For all the homering for the change in guard, vids and live streams I have seen from several sources, (some public, mostly private) I don't yet see a World Class guard akin to BD or CC. Flag work seems high schoolish and not very musical, more impact oriented like the guards back in the 1970's. Weapons seem to invite a greater complexity rather than merely throwing 20's like the top 4 guards. (Yeah, sarcasm button on.) It is very different from the Lagola/Flanagan H.S. approaches of previous guards but is yet to be as complex as the Twiggs and Gilligan guards who earned the right to call themselves CBCCG. For those functioning as the cheerleading squad for the color guard caption, don't get your bloomers in a tiff. It's a long season with still twelve weeks to develop, re-write, clean, and execute to perfection. I see 3 major re-writes already needed, and I am certain there will be others even with a "drill" that shows few transitions for the first six minutes.. Kids' attitudes on the vids seem realistic and hopeful.

Edited by xandandl

Perhaps there is hope for this show yet.

When Cadets announced a change in direction I was afraid of copy-cat cookie cutters mimicking BD and Crown and I dreamed that Cadets would innovate a new and different direction from what others are already doing. I am still waiting to see if that happens.

So far it appears like pick one from column A, one from column B, 2 sides and a dessert (which will hopefully be the closer.)

I do find the pre-show too long for this twitter generation and audience filled withe ADD students and parents. I understand the contrast of emotional horizons the corps is attempting with setting the opener and razing the tempo for the end of part 2. For those with a depressive streak who like dark shows, the Blackheads have definitely given us a heavy dose in the opener and later Mackey, but so far it hits me as if it is Black Crown. Music is great. Last year's problem internally was that music staff chose kids with limited marching experience or skills and the limited design and internal visual stress (the Black unis were imposed, not a consensus) hampered development. This year's style seems more accessible in many ways, doesn't have the same demands, but the demands that are there are still vulnerable and need a full summer of cleaning. I am confident that an on-sight live viewing may reveal other strengths, but what is seen on the field isn't always visible in the box.

For all the homering for the change in guard, vids and live streams I have seen from several sources, (some public, mostly private) I don't yet see a World Class guard akin to BD or CC. Flag work seems high schoolish and not very musical, more impact oriented like the guards back in the 1970's. Weapons seem to invite a greater complexity rather than merely throwing 20's like the top 4 guards. (Yeah, sarcasm button on.) It is very different from the Lagola/Flanagan H.S. approaches of previous guards but is yet to be as complex as the Twiggs and Gilligan guards who earned the right to call themselves CBCCG. For those functioning as the cheerleading squad for the color guard caption, don't get your bloomers in a tiff. It's a long season with still twelve weeks to develop, re-write, clean, and execute to perfection. I see 3 major re-writes already needed, and I am certain there will be others even with a "drill" that shows few transitions for the first six minutes.. Kids' attitudes on the vids seem realistic and hopeful.

Well this is a great critique from you! Cadets opening themselves up 2 weeks into ST do expect these critiques but I love the intensity I'm seeing from the show despite the "raw" condition it's in. As far as guard, I won't judge work 2 weeks into ST while they're running to spots while doing just learned work but your adoration of "Lagola" although great success in past haven't really put out a stellar Cadet guard in some time so....
  • Like 1