Cadets 2016

Tobias

Just watched a video of it. Very impressed musically, except halfway through it sounded very odd but I'm assuming that was a DCI Live issue. Visually, it's June! I didn't expect them to be super clean. I see the ideas though, and I'm very excited to see it develop throughout the season!

This start this year reminds me of Crown 2015. Crown was a hot mess in June. I didn't think that show would ever work, but by August, it was great.

• Like 1

Tilt had almost a nonexistent theme but placed 2nd, why would it be any different for this show?

Well, for me it's different because two of the stakeholders just went on camera to describe a narrative concerning statues coming to life. If that's what the show is about, fine.

In 2014 nobody from Canton went into a grand oration about the "deeper" meaning(s) of "tilt".

What I'm getting at is that it's okay - for me, anyway - if a show doesn't have a traditional narrative. But if it IS intended to tell a story, then that story should be well-told.

Obviously in June no one is there yet. I get that, too. Hopefully we will get to see these shows grow and develop over the next several weeks.

Okay, I've watched it a couple of times now. Here's my early take.

Guard is going to definitely be a step up this year. I love the flag work, and once it's polished, it will pop better.

I like the Mackey part of the show better than the Respighi. Weird!

The body work is overdone for my taste, but that's the nature of the beast now. The complaints about dirt are justified. I'm seeing some changes in the future. I don't like the drill in the "anti-ballad." I would surmise we'll see some tarps on the field, in the background with some sort of draping on the stage.

There are some dynamite drill segments; I especially like the one about 5 minutes into the show. It's nice!

I'm unsure about the characterizations so far. Will need to be up close to see that. I like to watch from a high vantage point; however, I may need to change that strategy this year to get the full effect of the "story."

It's a better musical book than Crown or BD.

So, I guess we will have to take a wait and see attitude with this new approach. Hoping for the best!

Agree with most of this

Well, for me it's different because two of the stakeholders just went on camera to describe a narrative concerning statues coming to life. If that's what the show is about, fine.

In 2014 nobody from Canton went into a grand oration about the "deeper" meaning(s) of "tilt".

What I'm getting at is that it's okay - for me, anyway - if a show doesn't have a traditional narrative. But if it IS intended to tell a story, then that story should be well-told.

Obviously in June no one is there yet. I get that, too. Hopefully we will get to see these shows grow and develop over the next several weeks.

Maybe people aren't getting the "deeper" meaning just yet. It's sloppy and incomplete. Edited by Tobias

It's only state of the art because it ends up producing a completely different type of show every year. Seriously, the only similarity in the BD shows from 2008-2015 is the following: white props and screaming trumpet solos. Every show has been wonderfully distinct and innovative either musically or visually via guard work/props.

This year however seems to be sticking a little too close to 2015's show, and I'm afraid it will end up coming off as stale. Hopefully I'm wrong though! (sorry for the BD tangent on a Cadets thread)

Don't worry - I'm sure we'll be having this argument again soon over on the BD thread!

I can't say I'm surprised at some of the comments I've read about the Cadets in this thread. This is what I'll say about the Cadets 2016 and I have been on tour with them and not just making comments based off some clips you may have seen. The corps is good, very good in my opinion. Darryl has written a great drill and the design is fresh and new for the Cadets and it kind of feels like the 2011 show, Angels and Demons. I don't have to dish our competitors to realize that the Cadets will be just fine this summer. For all you worry hogs about the Cadet guard....STOP!! If you have been around this activity you'll know that Kristy and Joe will have this Cadet guard back in the thick of things when it comes to the color guard caption. Speaking of captions; it would be hard for me to really point out a weak caption with the Cadets. It's June folks. Now that everyone has had the pleasure of arm chair designing we'll all know the truth come Thursday when the little men in green chime in with their opinions. Something tells me it won't be anything to what some of you have predicted. It is going to be a great year of drum corps for everyone because I've heard some good things coming out of other's camps. Let's enjoy it for a change. Only one corps at the end of the summer will be announced the winner.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 3

Because people like holding cadets to a different standard. Even the judges.

Now, now... let's do be careful here. Cadets have been one of the most successful drum corps of the last 35 years. Of course people hold them to a high standard. If you are a Cadet, or a Cadet supporter, you shouldn't want it any other way.

• Like 1