Cadets 2016

Tobias

Bizarre. Good word.

Was there in the stands tonight. OMG. I have such mixed emotions.

Sloppy as crap. I'm sorry George, I lost count of cracks, pops, blown attacks, missed notes, sloppy drums, sloppy mello runs, weak trombones and low brass... Good points: french horns, though sloppy, were a great touch - better than the bones, IMO, especially bringing them down front onto the stage.

It's an amazing, and amazingly bizarre, show. The statue-dude will score well with Marie, I guess. Is he a statue come to life? Or a human turning back into a statue? Hard to tell. And I didn't get all the emotions that Hop described the guard would go through.

Drums on the cake-zilla were cool. Soloist on the cupcake-zilla was cool. Drums - down to 3 basses. Well THAT didn't work.

I know it's June, and I said to my guests that it will be sparkly by August (I hope.)

I think I'm more in love with the music than the show design.

Crowd was good and receptive. And pretty sizable. Great to see.

I bought a Stoned hat and t-shirt just because.

No rain. Beautiful, cool night actually. Will enjoy them more in the Can on Thursday having seen it already.

Don't hate me - I'm a honk. It was definitely worth the 90 minute drive to see live.

• Like 1

The year he marched or taught. (Cadets have the most brutal alumni and ex staffers)..

Eh, it's OK to be frustrated. I don't know the other poster, but I understand. One of my years, we actually had a shirt that was a Hunter S. Thompson quote: "Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." It was a point of pride -- we do more than anyone else on the field, and we do it just as well or better and that's what we do. The limits of what is physically possible don't matter.

It's a little tough to watch the corps get kind of contorted into "WGI on grass" for competitive reasons, and it's an emotional thing. I get it.

• Like 2

Bizarre. Good word.

Was there in the stands tonight. OMG. I have such mixed emotions.

Sloppy as crap. I'm sorry George, I lost count of cracks, pops, blown attacks, missed notes, sloppy drums, sloppy mello runs, weak trombones and low brass... Good points: french horns, though sloppy, were a great touch - better than the bones, IMO, especially bringing them down front onto the stage.

It's an amazing, and amazingly bizarre, show. The statue-dude will score well with Marie, I guess. Is he a statue come to life? Or a human turning back into a statue? Hard to tell. And I didn't get all the emotions that Hop described the guard would go through.

Drums on the cake-zilla were cool. Soloist on the cupcake-zilla was cool. Drums - down to 3 basses. Well THAT didn't work.

I know it's June, and I said to my guests that it will be sparkly by August (I hope.)

I think I'm more in love with the music than the show design.

Crowd was good and receptive. And pretty sizable. Great to see.

I bought a Stoned hat and t-shirt just because.

No rain. Beautiful, cool night actually. Will enjoy them more in the Can on Thursday having seen it already.

Don't hate me - I'm a honk. It was definitely worth the 90 minute drive to see live.

Love it. I almost prefer to hear this in spring training than how powerful, impressive and clean they were. I do agree with everything you said too. They are a mess. Sloppiest June since god knows when but the most intriguing too.

They need a new drill writer. I was optimistic, now I'm sad. Guess I'll get a beer at finals before retreat.

• Like 1

Eh, it's OK to be frustrated. I don't know the other poster, but I understand. One of my years, we actually had a shirt that was a Hunter S. Thompson quote: "Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." It was a point of pride -- we do more than anyone else on the field, and we do it just as well or better and that's what we do. The limits of what is physically possible don't matter.

It's a little tough to watch the corps get kind of contorted into "WGI on grass" for competitive reasons, and it's an emotional thing. I get it.

I marched too and understand what you say but last year they did all of that and slide from #1 in the beginning of the season to #4 two points out of first. I guess you make a decision. Do things that won in 1993 or modernize. BD made this change in 2008. We're doing it in 2016. A little late to the game but better late then never.

I was going to give my thoughts, but I will wait to do so until Thursday when the audio quality ​won't be terrible

Kinda feels good to hear a guard person chime in here.

Thanks. I've tried to keep quiet because I wanted to see how it looked in uniform and with show flags and I do believe that people are entitled to an opinion. I was getting frustrated with some of the comments on the guard but tried to take them in stride. I teach a world class guard so I do have some knowledge (lol). I get why everyone is hesitant with the guard, I do. My daughter was in that show and I loved it but I knew. The kids were great but the design not so much. But this year it's different. My daughter tells me all the time it's "special" and the kids are loving performing it!! You have to try to look past the dirt and look at the intent. Will it be effective? Will is generate moments WHEN it's clean? That is what matters. The dirty will disappear day by day. The key, IMO, to this show is going to be the characterization and performance of the members, especially the guard. They will need to bring it to life, and I have absolutely no doubt they will. Kristy is BRILLIANT when it comes to that. Believe me, I have competed against her for years.......

Edited by flag girl
  • Like 4

I marched too and understand what you say but last year they did all of that and slide from #1 in the beginning of the season to #4 two points out of first.

Who cares? It's marching band, judged by people hired by those marching bands to give opinions about the marching bands, on a rubric created by the marching bands.

I say: Go do something cool and come in 7th place.

• Like 2