Cadets 2016

Tobias

Hopkins on the Ada show:

"... I am not speaking to competition. I speak to your learning, growth, and just the sheer joy of making memories"

And this, boys and girls, is the Truth. It's what is real and genuine and truly valuable about this activity. Scores and placements and medals mean much less than these other rewards.

It doesn't mean we don't aspire to greatness. But it does mean that the journey toward greatness is the reward itself. Perhaps a bit cliche, but there's a reason for that.

To quote GH further: "Happy summer of 2016!!!"

Just watched a video of their performance in Ohio. I'm shocked. They sound like a top tier corps but look like a 6th - 8th place corps. Save a few cool moves this is a poor drill design, guard is a mess, stage doesn't make any sense or add anything to the show. I love the music (although Star did Pines WAY better). If there's a hole for someone to break into the top 5 this year, it's through The Cadets. Disappointed.

This poster is rather new and is entitled to his opinion but he has made these same comments several times...after camp videos and before Spring Training even began. Star of Indiana is his leit motif and I believe he has Stars in his eyes when considering anything other.

• Like 1

Have to wonder if a lot of the posters on reddit are kids. Like band kids. Some the opinions seem very naive. One of the biggest topics was the "guy in his underpants"

• Like 2

Easily my least favorite show this year so far (and possibly ever from The Cadets). The whole "Cadets" identity just seems gone.

The uniforms are hideous on the field. They looked like The Cavaliers Part 2 (colorguard included), which I'm assuming is coincidence, but The Cadets are maroon and gold, ######! Cut the #### with the uniform change and fix it.

Musically, it seemed way too choppy for The Cadets. The Cadets have always been about playing a long intro/movement 1/movement 2 that feels like a whole show because of how much energy they have. That's been their musical identity. Well that's gone and now we have just Generic Drum Corps pacing.

Visually, again, the "Cadets" identity is just gone. I can't see their signature straight leg because of the uniform change and there's some different drill writer who wrote some pretty cool drill moves, but didn't put in a lot of straight lines and blocks and such. Instead, the corps now does body movement/dance. Let that sink in. The Cadets...horns...do body movement/dance. What?

The drums are clean as hell and the horns sound pretty good. The colorguard is still dirty (it was windy, but still).

But the actually show design? The whole idea behind it? Awful! Statues...in an activity known for large amounts of movement. Come on! And the statues were supposed to come alive, which is easy to convey, but then have emotions? I got none of that.

The Cadets need to stop this notion that every show needs to be some emotional journey. They've been on that kick for the last 10 years and took one or two years off (one won a championship!) but stayed the course. Change it up! Bring the fast and loud and exciting for 11+ minutes!

WereYouNotEntertained.jpg

• Like 2

Have to wonder if a lot of the posters on reddit are kids. Like band kids. Some the opinions seem very naive. One of the biggest topics was the "guy in his underpants"

There are quite a few former marchers and even current marchers on that subreddit. When the Bluecoats show title was leaked, it was a current Bluecoats member who told him off for leaking the show title and then later a member of Bluecoats' staff did the same

Reddit is for young stupid people, DCP is for old... experienced (😂) people.

You clearly haven't used Reddit before

I will always be a fan of this corps, but not sure about this show. I'm willing to give it some time to let it grow (and to grow on me) but I do not like the visual (marching) portion of this show. I feel like I'm watching a 10-17th place design (no knock on those corps intended). The music is different but still has that Bocook feel to it - which is a good thing. I don't know if it's the black uniforms that are throwing me off, but the entire production visually is not appealing. The guard is doing good stuff, and that drum line is on fire. Horns will be great as always (+1 for Gino). But man, that visual design, I'm just not a fan.

Edited by Newseditor44

Reddit is for young stupid people, DCP is for old... experienced () people.

You clearly haven't used Reddit before

Good God, we can argue here about the color of grass or sky.

Irving, I appreciate your comments. Mine are mine.

Kristy looks great in UA short-shorts. George looks old and "field-worn". Freddie worked the souvie tent like a pro.

Will they have the cake-zilla colors done by Thursday? Just curious.

Frankly, I think the corps sparkled at the show opening when the bones were on cake-zilla and the sun was glistening off their horns and gold uni sparkles.

I'm still hoping that the "Great Awakening" is a return to M&G in Indy in August.