Cadets 2016

Tobias

Have to wonder if a lot of the posters on reddit are kids. Like band kids. Some the opinions seem very naive. One of the biggest topics was the "guy in his underpants"

...that all the old women around me were fanning themselves over, and all the high school girls around me were giggling at.

Clearly he's a sculptured stud, but I can't figure out if he's a statue come to life or a human turning back to stone.

The girls (and probably some guys clearly didn't care. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

...that all the old women around me were fanning themselves over, and all the high school girls around me were giggling at.

Clearly he's a sculptured stud, but I can't figure out if he's a statue come to life or a human turning back to stone.

The girls (and probably some guys clearly didn't care. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And to think of the upsetment with the "hot pants" look of the guard in the late '70's

Aunt Nell must be spinning in her grave

Edited by xandandl

I will always be a fan of this corps, but not sure about this show. I'm willing to give it some time to let it grow (and to grow on me) but I do not like the visual (marching) portion of this show. I feel like I'm watching a 10-17th place design (no knock on those corps intended). The music is different but still has that Bocook feel to it - which is a good thing. I don't know if it's the black uniforms that are throwing me off, but the entire production visually is not appealing. The guard is doing good stuff, and that drum line is on fire. Horns will be great as always (+1 for Gino). But man, that visual design, I'm just not a fan.

It's ok - we know you're a "Crown honk" (kidding!)

Seriously - I would suggest to give it a few weeks as you mentioned. They do need a few sections of rewrites, but there are also some great moments in there.

I don't think any of the top corps we've seen so far have great drill moments just yet. Guard wise its BD > Crown and Crown is very very great

In a month things will come into focus...

Gosh you try to cater to DCP... I've had a Reddit account for 4 years. I'm one of the young stupid people!

Oh gosh, I don't think anyone meant to call you stupid, let along young :)

I am just sort of surprised by the # of obvious band perspective folks over there - I felt like a lot of the opinions were coming from Indiana / Ohio BOA band members and ex-band members. Doesn't make anyone "stupid" - just an interesting mix of perspectives lol

Honestly, I don't understand all the trepidation here. Cadets have a GREAT vehicle this year, music is engaging, and brass and drums are stellar as always. To me, what more could you ask for at this point in the season? This show has a chance to blow us all away at Finals. Cadets are exactly where they need to be. Don't panic guys.

• Like 3

And this, boys and girls, is the Truth. It's what is real and genuine and truly valuable about this activity. Scores and placements and medals mean much less than these other rewards.

It doesn't mean we don't aspire to greatness. But it does mean that the journey toward greatness is the reward itself. Perhaps a bit cliche, but there's a reason for that.

To quote GH further: "Happy summer of 2016!!!"

In the spirit of DCP argumentation, please refrain from addressing us as boys and girls. It's demeaning and condescending, as if I can't identify the importance of his post without your help.

That said, I agree that, from the kids' perspective, his words are poignant and pertinent. But also from their perspective, and certainly from a fan's, the performance is as much "the truth". Whether the aspect of entertainment or adjudication, "the truth" is as much the performance as it is about "the experience of living the dream".

IMO, of course, young man.

I thought during the "climax" of the show, his slowly walking toward the seat on the right side prop was the coolest thing ever... Obvious his character needs to get developed more during the first half of the program, and he needs to really work out a lot between now and finals.

• Like 1

I will always be a fan of this corps, but not sure about this show. I'm willing to give it some time to let it grow (and to grow on me) but I do not like the visual (marching) portion of this show. I feel like I'm watching a 10-17th place design (no knock on those corps intended). The music is different but still has that Bocook feel to it - which is a good thing. I don't know if it's the black uniforms that are throwing me off, but the entire production visually is not appealing. The guard is doing good stuff, and that drum line is on fire. Horns will be great as always (+1 for Gino). But man, that visual design, I'm just not a fan.

As a long time Cadets fan, I must sadly admit that I didn't like what I saw last night. I know that it is early, but man Cadets looked and sounded pretty rough last night. What is the purpose of the stage and cake looking props? I hate to say that I found myself losing interest the further they went into the show. And they need to add something to the pants to add interest! They look like they're in a uniform from the waist up, and street clothes for the waist down. I honestly felt like I was watching a lower tier corps at times last night. Quite shocking at times to be honest. This corps certainly has some serious work ahead of them this season.

The Cadets messaging with this theme seems rather confusing to me at the moment too. What I gathered ( could be wrong however) is that cold, lifeless, statues become live breathing human beings, encounter all the positive and negative emotions that human beings encounter in their lives, then ultimately conclude ( end of show ) that they'd prefer to return to being heartless, lifeless, cold statues again. If thats the meassge, is sort of a depressing one. However, I would tend to believe that Cadets will tweak this and by finals, we'll all find out that in the end, despite the obstacles, its still better to have a pulse, than to be a lifeless statue. That'd be my guess anyway at the moment,.. but who really knows.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't understand all the trepidation here. Cadets have a GREAT vehicle this year, music is engaging, and brass and drums are stellar as always. To me, what more could you ask for at this point in the season? This show has a chance to blow us all away at Finals. Cadets are exactly where they need to be. Don't panic guys.

Agreed. I actually thought they were further ahead last night than I personally expected. Strong corps!