Cadets 2016

Tobias

I get the appeal of the stage - Crossmen seemed to get some love last season from featuring the brass on the tarp in front of the pit.

My question has always been - if the pit is going to be on microphones anyway, why not just put them on the back sideline instead, or in the end-zones, and get them out of the way visually?

Sound delay and imagine being a horn line member that has to march in front of crashing cymbals and loud synths lol

My question has always been - if the pit is going to be on microphones anyway, why not just put them on the back sideline instead, or in the end-zones, and get them out of the way visually?

That would be beyond difficult from an overall ensemble perspective. There would be constant phasing.

• Like 1

That would be beyond difficult from an overall ensemble perspective. There would be constant phasing.

We've had the pit for about 4 decades now in DCI competition and with some corps trying variations at times. I believe that there is a collective wisdom about it's current siting based on the cumulative experience of all these corps performances over 40 years.

But isn't Bluecoats doing something similar this year, pushing them out wide, and giving them all earpieces to keep in time?

We've had the pit for about 4 decades now in DCI competition and with some corps trying variations at times. I believe that there is a collective wisdom about it's current siting based on the cumulative experience of all these corps performances over 40 years.

Yes, but they've only been on microphone for how long? And the prevalence of wireless microphones have only been utilized for how long? I think the first 3+ decades' experience can be tossed out as dictated by requirements which are no longer present (i.e. - if you don't have them down front, they'll never be heard at all).

Yes, but they've only been on microphone for how long? And the prevalence of wireless microphones have only been utilized for how long? I think the first 3+ decades' experience can be tossed out as dictated by requirements which are no longer present (i.e. - if you don't have them down front, they'll never be heard at all).

I think you aren't considering the overall soundscape here.

If on the back sideline, the sound of concert bass, cymbals, etc would travel from the backside line as well as from a speaker (I'm assuming is on the front sideline). This would cause phasing as the sound from that instrument(s) would not sync up once it gets to the audience. The unmicrophoned sound would be heard after the microphoned sound. That's just physics of sound.