Luca Oil Stadium - Stroller advice

Is anyone going to address what it would like to be the person sitting next to the person bringing an1 yr old to finals? At the risk of sounding crotchety, I wouldn't want to be that one.

Although my 1st show was at 9 months old ( crazy I know ) I also was waiting to see if someone would say this...lol..It's bad enough with the continuous yacking by some, and of course the critiquing on every level..during a show.lol., a crying baby would be worse..lol

How fair to the baby also, I guess at least it's inside.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Although my 1st show was at 9 months old ( crazy I know ) I also was waiting to see if someone would say this...lol..It's bad enough with the continuous yacking by some, and of course the critiquing on every level..during a show.lol., a crying baby would be worse..lol

especially if that kid is one of the incessant texters!!! You wonder why they even buy a ticket.

• Like 2

Or, you know, maybe the baby enjoys live music and wouldn't be a problem? Oddly enough every single human baby (at all ages) are wildly different and what you might've experienced could vary with different children.

My wife and I are both public school music teachers, and we had a baby July 2014: he was born on a Thursday, and the following Friday he was at a concert I was conducting (the first time he and my wife had left the house for substantial time, or for anything other than groceries and doctor appointments). The concert started with a trashcan percussion ensemble piece I had put together, and it literally lulled the baby to sleep! The little guy was very peaceful and laid back during the concert, and only got a little cranky when the music stopped after the concert ended! He has been a staple at several of our concerts over the last 14+ months, and assuming he's napped, well-fed, etc. he's very laid back at the concerts.

Obviously not all kids are like that, and some are flat-out nightmares in public (which according to my parents I was as a baby). I've known plenty of parents who's children grew up in drum corps, starting as an infant.

• Like 1

Or, you know, maybe the baby enjoys live music and wouldn't be a problem? Oddly enough every single human baby (at all ages) are wildly different and what you might've experienced could vary with different children.

My wife and I are both public school music teachers, and we had a baby July 2014: he was born on a Thursday, and the following Friday he was at a concert I was conducting (the first time he and my wife had left the house for substantial time, or for anything other than groceries and doctor appointments). The concert started with a trashcan percussion ensemble piece I had put together, and it literally lulled the baby to sleep! The little guy was very peaceful and laid back during the concert, and only got a little cranky when the music stopped after the concert ended! He has been a staple at several of our concerts over the last 14+ months, and assuming he's napped, well-fed, etc. he's very laid back at the concerts.

Obviously not all kids are like that, and some are flat-out nightmares in public (which according to my parents I was as a baby). I've known plenty of parents who's children grew up in drum corps, starting as an infant.

I was one of those kids growing up in drum corps BUT I will say if it's a restaurant, or a drum corps show, there is nothing worse than a screaming baby. i just say know your kid, IF there is a remote chance ) and a show is way more than an hour at a restaurant ), be mindful of others and how much they spent to be there, This can also go for yakie adults..lol

Your point that little ones don't always behave the same is of course correct.

BUT... the baby may not have been lulled to sleep but rather powered down in the face of high stimulation. I've seen that many times in many little ones. When they're overwhelmed, they just go to sleep... as infants anyway. Fireworks show... noisy restaurant... they often go to sleep.

Also many infants will handle something like a crowded indoor drum corps show (off-the-charts stimulation level) better than many toddlers. Things get worse, err, more challenging for them as they age a bit, before they get better. (Notice I'm potentially awarding credit for challenge as opposed to ticking mistakes!)

I can see taking a little one to a drum corps show. We did it with our six-month-old at DeKalb prelims, where we could sit up high and easily move away from the few other people around if she couldn't handle it, and she turned out to become a huge drum corps fan /heh. (Melting down as an infant turned out not to be an issue for her... but then we skipped a bunch of years before we resumed taking her. Until she was begging to go... age seven maybe.)

To take a little one to finals in Indy between, say, the 20-yard-lines, though, is not fair to other patrons or performers IMO. Because if the kid melts down mid-show, you can't extract her/him without disturbing a lot of other people, even if you're sitting on the aisle, and especially if you're in the middle of a row.

Edited by Peel Paint

Your point that little ones don't always behave the same is of course correct.

BUT... the baby may not have been lulled to sleep but rather powered down in the face of high stimulation. I've seen that many times in many little ones. When they're overwhelmed, they just go to sleep... as infants anyway. Fireworks show... noisy restaurant... they often go to sleep.

Also many infants will handle something like a crowded indoor drum corps show (off-the-charts stimulation level) better than many toddlers. Things get worse, err, more challenging for them as they age a bit, before they get better. (Notice I'm potentially awarding credit for challenge as opposed to ticking mistakes!)

I can see taking a little one to a drum corps show. We did it with our six-month-old at DeKalb prelims, where we could sit up high and easily move away from the few other people around if she couldn't handle it, and she turned out to become a huge drum corps fan /heh. (Melting down as an infant turned out not to be an issue for her... but then we skipped a bunch of years before we resumed taking her. Until she was begging to go... age seven maybe.)

To take a little one to finals in Indy between, say, the 20-yard-lines, though, is not fair to other patrons or performers IMO. Because if the kid melts down mid-show, you can't extract her/him without disturbing a lot of other people, even if you're sitting on the aisle, and especially if you're in the middle of a row.

I've seen plenty of adults who should know better melt down at shows too, so...

• Like 1