Suncoast Sound 1988

If you'd bothered to pay attention to what I wrote, you'd see that I was clearly referring to the CORPS MEMBERS feelings on the show -- which John Adcock confirmed -- NOT to the audience reaction.

I inderstood right from the first reading of your initial comments above that you were referring to the corps members in your remarks. I never questioned nor doubted your assessment of this in any of my remarks either. I never even brought up the MM's sense of the show.. until you brought it up in your reply to me. In my initial remarks ( still up top ) my entire first initial reply comment to you was about my response to the show, and my assessment of those around me in the audience to that '87 show ( very positive response to it ). You had a choice with my reply at that point then to focus on the audience aspect of this... which you then did in the reply to me that followed, ie " the audience ".. So thats the correct chronology so far on the discussion on this between us. Moving forward, to be honest with you, when I purchase a ticket to a show, I really don't care what the MM's think of their own Corps show given to them by the adults there. .If a Corps MM's like or dislike their own show is of no concern of mind. This is why I never brought up the aspect of the MM's feelings to their shows in my initial reply comments to you on both the '87 and '88 Suncoast Sound show productions.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes.... I'm glad that poster George Dixon here( who was also at the Finals there in '93 ) has also confirmed yesterday in his post ( as I did ) that there was no visible, nor audible booing of the Star of Indiana after they finished their Finals performance in '93. Its an urban myth ( booing of Star at Finals in '93 ) that unfortunately took on a life of its own. Having said this, there might have been booing of them in other regions that year, if so, I could not say, as I only saw and heard Star twice that year ( both at Championships) where there was no booing of them after their Prelims & Finals performances.

No. they were well received there. The show (earlier and mid season) was booed in the midwest. Regiment had the loudest response at finals, then Cadets, then probably Star.

In terms of 1988 reactions, after the dust settled and the PBS commentators were talking, the caption awards were announced--and barely heard under the chatter. There's a very clear moment when Best Color Guard was announced. The camera was fixated on a Madison guard member---a really big black guy with a huge face. When Phantom was announced, his jaw dropped and he stood there in a frozen expression. Priceless. (I really wonder how secret all the semifinal stuff was, as the Scouts did win guard on Friday night.)

No. they were well received there. The show (earlier and mid season) was booed in the midwest. Regiment had the loudest response at finals, then Cadets, then probably Star.

this again?

Saw them a few times in the midwest, early season show that no other big corps was at then DCM which I recall was raining so half the crowd bailed then saw them right after that, no booing.... heard they got booed at Ypsilanti by Cadet fans, they tied in prelims and then put almost 2 points on Cadets so they got booed. then I saw them at finals and yes, don't recall them being in the midwest a lot of the season.... Regiment got the best response at fianls, it was that sort of show. Cadets and Star were very boring shows, most people that didn't follow either Star or Cadets were pretty indifferent as to who would win.... they were both a few points out in front of everyone....they were ' cerebral' bando shows that failed to engage a lot of the crowd. I know I didn't care who won... 12-3 were pretty solid then it was nap time

also, some Star fans were very aggressive, chip on their shoulder that year, I'd go as far as saying they were rude, recall some of that at DCM

Edited by cowtown

Just read the except from the Bill Cook book that tesmusic provided . . . I was in the stands all three nights in Jacksonville the following year. I do remember some people near me making fun of the body movement, which I did not like. However, the spectacular Medea finish resulted in a rousing cheer from the crowd. I was mid-field on the 50 pretty high up, so I think I got a good impression. I have the DVD, and that confirms it for me as well. For the record, I liked Star 1993, but the Cadets that year were not chopped liver. In conclusion, yes, Star was unpopular in the early 90's, but not as universally booed and hated as the Cook book implies, as far as I can remember.

I wasn't following corps closely at the time (not sure how I would have done even had I been inclined; it was a couple more years before I ever saw DCI Finals on PBS), but a couple members of my college marching band were in corps, and a number of others were fans, and I do remember them saying, as people filtered into our rehearsal camp (which overlapped the final week of DCI), that they thought Star should have won. It wasn't until some years later that I first caught a glimpse of the show on the "Brass Roots" video that DCI sold, in which participants in a roundtable described it as controversial, a word I hadn't heard at the time.

In the early 1960s, Bob Dylan was a major figure in the folk music (and jazz) scene in the US. He played a folk guitar. His large audience were attracted to that music, that guitar playing. However, at the tail end of the 60's, in the legendary Newport Rhode Island annual Jazz Concert there, he came on stage without the unplugged folk guitar, and instead utilized a Gibson, plugged in, electric rock guitar. That particular audience was not impressed. He lost that audience. For good.

1965. Not the tail end of the decade, but right in the middle.

Regarding Suncoast '88, are the black and grey flags at the top of the mushroom-cloud form out of order on the right side?

this again?

Saw them a few times in the midwest, early season show that no other big corps was at then DCM which I recall was raining so half the crowd bailed then saw them right after that, no booing.... heard they got booed at Ypsilanti by Cadet fans, they tied in prelims and then put almost 2 points on Cadets so they got booed. then I saw them at finals and yes, don't recall them being in the midwest a lot of the season.... Regiment got the best response at fianls, it was that sort of show. Cadets and Star were very boring shows, most people that didn't follow either Star or Cadets were pretty indifferent as to who would win.... they were both a few points out in front of everyone....they were ' cerebral' bando shows that failed to engage a lot of the crowd. I know I didn't care who won... 12-3 were pretty solid then it was nap time

also, some Star fans were very aggressive, chip on their shoulder that year, I'd go as far as saying they were rude, recall some of that at DCM

And in Yippy, Star won all captions (3-way drum tie) including guard. As unpopular as that was, there was absolutely no announcement. Bad decision, DCI. Regardless of what anybody on this or any other planet counters, that 1993 show was a delightful SCREW YOU, DCI/FANS design, and nobody will ever change my mind:) But the Jackson 2nd place crowd reaction wasn't as boisterous as 1992's 3rd place fall.