Next big thing in drum corps shows

I was surprised by how little the lights added to SCV’s show and with so many of them not working, it was a zero sum. The lights at the Oil Dome are too bright for on the field lights to be much more than a super shinny coat of paint and they need to get better…..my eyes went from not-working lights to not working lights

well, by utilize the venue's lighting you mean actually turn it on and off? that's not possible during events in there. those are High Intensity ARC lamps in those fixtures that light the field and stands. They are created to put 100 footcandles on the field, as that is needed for video of high speed events. (its the same amount of light required for surgery at table level). But more so that those lights do not dim. They are on, or off. And once you turn them off, they require several minutes to cool, before you can restrike them, and then they take a few minutes to warm back up to intensity.

concerts that travel turn OFF the venues lights and provide their own. They only have lights on required to give enough ambient light for emergency exit. (1 footcandle average over the length of the pathway) concerts that do not travel bring in a rental package of lighting from a supplier such as PRG, or 4 Wall lighting.

So when a concert gets ready to start, they turn off all the stadium lights, so that they don't interfere with their designed package for the show. When a concert is over, they turn back on the stadium lights so that the stagehands and grounds crew can strike the equipment, staging, floor seating, and mop up all the spilt beer. So a concert or ice show, or whatever, provides in entirety, its own lighting system from fixtures, to controls, cabeling, dimmers if needed, power distribution, and the venue only provides "house" lighting (basic light for people to enter and exit the space) and power to the system that the ensemble brings with them.

The last concert I designed utilized nearly $1.5 million in equipment. I'm not sure drum corps are ready to provide a system of that caliber yet. American DJ would not be acceptable to enhance what the groups are doing on the field.

to be honest i didn't mind the SCV uniform lights. I think it fit the idea, BUT seeing the show from both low and high points, I can tell you that unless you sat down close they didn't impact as well up high. there's just too much light in the dome.

but when i saw it outside, where there wasn't as much extra light bouncing around in the venue. those looked great. again, light bounces around off of surfaces as it dissipates. The field reflects it, the steel reflects it, everything basically does. so inside it wasn't as nice an effect. outside though, those looked great. The same goes for the ones on BDBs Prism pieces. they looked great outside, and not good inside.

SCV did not bring lights into their show this past summer until Championships. Crown did not bring in the closer banner until August either. Lots of Corps over the years have utlized new props on the field only by Championships that year. I see no reason then that other Corps can't do with lights( or some other variation ) what we all here presumably saw SCV just do at Indy a mere 3 months ago. Maybe a Corps gets the Indy stadium staff to do something with creative multi colored lighting for them at Lucus indoor stadium. As far as we know, there is nothing at all in the current DCI rulebook that disallows a Corps to utilize a stadium's lighting to their advantage. Lots of musical groups in traveling tour concerts do things with indoor stadium lighting, they can't do in other venues during their concert tour schedule.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 4

well, by utilize the venue's lighting you mean actually turn it on and off? that's not possible during events in there. those are High Intensity ARC lamps in those fixtures that light the field and stands. They are created to put 100 footcandles on the field, as that is needed for video of high speed events. (its the same amount of light required for surgery at table level). But more so that those lights do not dim. They are on, or off. And once you turn them off, they require several minutes to cool, before you can restrike them, and then they take a few minutes to warm back up to intensity.

concerts that travel turn OFF the venues lights and provide their own. They only have lights on required to give enough ambient light for emergency exit. (1 footcandle average over the length of the pathway) concerts that do not travel bring in a rental package of lighting from a supplier such as PRG, or 4 Wall lighting.

So when a concert gets ready to start, they turn off all the stadium lights, so that they don't interfere with their designed package for the show. When a concert is over, they turn back on the stadium lights so that the stagehands and grounds crew can strike the equipment, staging, floor seating, and mop up all the spilt beer. So a concert or ice show, or whatever, provides in entirety, its own lighting system from fixtures, to controls, cabeling, dimmers if needed, power distribution, and the venue only provides "house" lighting (basic light for people to enter and exit the space) and power to the system that the ensemble brings with them.

The last concert I designed utilized nearly $1.5 million in equipment. I'm not sure drum corps are ready to provide a system of that caliber yet. American DJ would not be acceptable to enhance what the groups are doing on the field.

One of the great things about DCP is that we do have some knowledgeable posters on here that can bring to the table some real world experience and expertise in a particular field it that allows one ( like me ) to reconsider their previously held positions on something. This reply here of yours Chris provided me the necessary new information to alter my thoughts on the practicality of a corps potentially utilizing a large indoor stadiums lighting in their show. I more fully appreciate now the perhaps insurmountable technical difficulties that such an anticipated endeavor would present to a Corps. Thanks for this input, Chris Holland. I was persuaded by your technically informative reply that it prompts me now to alter my preconceived thoughts on this.

Edited by BRASSO

Heh... someday Chris, when we get together for a beer, I'll tell you the story about the 1996 DCA Finals retreat/awards ceremony.

It involves lights... or lack thereof. :tongue:

Thanks bud. I feel like my work in entertainment has spoiled my ability to go to concerts and shows, because there's no magic to it for me. But hey, I can send you my thesis that helped me earn my grad degree in lighting design, its a lot of engineering jargon regarding color temperature and human perception, eye response, and how that influenced design choices in regards to a particular script. But, even for me, it's really great to put you to sleep at night. hahahaahah

• Like 1

to be honest i didn't mind the SCV uniform lights. I think it fit the idea, BUT seeing the show from both low and high points, I can tell you that unless you sat down close they didn't impact as well up high. there's just too much light in the dome.

but when i saw it outside, where there wasn't as much extra light bouncing around in the venue. those looked great. again, light bounces around off of surfaces as it dissipates. The field reflects it, the steel reflects it, everything basically does. so inside it wasn't as nice an effect. outside though, those looked great. The same goes for the ones on BDBs Prism pieces. they looked great outside, and not good inside.

Thanks Chris for the info, the level headed way you present it, and the clarity so that even a luddite like me can understand that it's a complex challenge.

I'm still waiting on the jet pack we've been promised since the 50s.

The day performers soar above the field playing their piccolos is the day I finally feel complete.

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow your rollers there. That's a pretty big jump to make.

Jetpacks are one thing, but piccolos?

• Like 3

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow your rollers there. That's a pretty big jump to make.

Jetpacks are one thing, but piccolos?

Be still my heart!

He must have been referring to one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccolo_trumpet

Didn't SCV use one of them several seasons back?

Everyone knows that woodwinds went out of drum corps back in George Washington's time, except for the Old Guard in D.C.