Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

I'd like for someone to try to make the case that Mandarin could very well be the language of..."money and finance" in the future (and isn't "in the future" rather open-ended to be a compelling argument?). This belief is undoubtedly based on the rumor/speculation (equally flawed IMO) that China's currency will supplant the dollar as the world's reserve currency. So long as the dollar is the world's reserve currency I suspect the English language will be the world's money and finance "reserve language".

And please define "...forward looking , progressive schools..." and provide an example of what you call the same.

agreed. It's so far fetched.

Well, if the data the U.S. public schools are sending out are purposely lied about, thats a lesson in itself that parents, children are receiving, no ?. If the numbers are cooked, its the highest level of criminality, child abuse, & neglect, fraud upon the very students, parents, taxpayers that have given the Government ( the public schools ) their trust, their money, their time. Thats not " good ", and we CAN make a value judgment on THAT anyway, and come to universal agreement on it, it would seem to me

Correct. As is the Chinese data. Statistics often are "adjusted" to support a given hypothesis our desired outcome. See NOAA and global temp data.

Well, I think this goes back to my initial responses to this thread: the "clarity" of a good BoA show (for those who agree with George D. and others that Broken Arrow and its ilk are indeed better designed than, e.g., Phantom Regiment) conflicts with the difficulty required of a good DCI show. If Phantom performed Broken Arrow's show as written (allowing for instrumentation changes), they'd be creamed by the judges for the material being too easy. But when you make the material more difficult, you are likely to make it less beautiful.

But that's not a "design flaw" - the designers are having to write with the members ability in mind. It is probably harder to make effective as a design than the DCI talent level membership where nearly anything is possible...

It's not executed at the same level, of course, but design isn't execution. Something very simple can be more beautiful than something very difficult.

Agreed. Well said!

OMEA is inconsistent on this subject, that's all. Probably because the organization comprises hundreds of members with different points of view. Last year's chair of OMEA's "marching band affairs", i.e., the person who directly oversees the ratings-only state finals, is the director of a band whose webpage touts the number of times they've been named "grand champion" at local competitions (quite rightly, I'd say). This year's marching band affairs chair is the director of a band that has regularly competed in BoA for years. For a counter-example, see the very disparity you describe: local events are competitive but state finals are not. for another: while all bands in the local competitions receive scores, those numbers are never made public.

By the way, while your general description of a number of Ohio bands competing under the auspices of more than one adjudicating body (OMEA, MSBA, BoA) is quite correct, I don't know of any Ohio bands that participated in a US Bands competition this year or last. If you do, please tell me, as I have tried to compile a full record!

And your last point is spot-on, in my view. There are about 800 high schools in Ohio. Probably at least two-thirds of those have bands, but only 240 compete.

800 high schools?? Wow!

That's all very interesting.

Probably.

That band I consider to be the best on the OMEA circuit, Grove City, has appeared at and received a Superior rating at every single State Finals since that event was inaugurated in 1980 . . . except 2009, because a school levy failed that year and all extracurricular activity was cut.

Tax payer money? Sure, that helps. But so does the "brick and mortar" nature of schools - institutions - vs. corps, many of which don't even have an actual office and "live" out of a storage unit hahaha

Statistics often are "adjusted" to support a given hypothesis our desired outcome. See NOAA and global temp data.

Edit: not worth going off topic, even with a subject as important as this. Carry on.

Lift our suburban school data (such as it is) out of the U.S. mix and we suddenly rank in the top 1 or top 3 in the world by subject or measure.

Edit: ditto.

Thinking about the worst-educated students, it occurs to me that there may be some faint connection here to the fact that drum corps no longer has any presence in urban areas where once, among other places, it flourished.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 3

while all bands in the local competitions receive scores, those numbers are never made public.

I have always found that behavior curious. Ohio is not the only state where this has occurred (take neighboring Indiana and ISSMA, for example). The rationale often given is that marching band scores are somehow akin to grades, and therefore should be kept as private as the report cards of individual students. Considering that:

- no one is keeping scholastic football scores private

- students are not performing their course work in front of a paying audience

- the grade level of each band (i.e. "excellent" vs. "superior", or I/II/III in some systems) is still made public

... it seems like another instance where the administrative philosophy is not entirely consistent.

local events are competitive but state finals are not. for another: while all bands in the local competitions receive scores, those numbers are never made public.

DCI Corps go into public secrecy mode in the offseason, perhaps they'll go secret on the DCI local competition scores in time. ' Might as well copy what these Bands are doing outside DCI in this area as well. Besides, how real can a Drum & Bugle Corps competition scores be anyway without a Drum judge ?.... or a Brass judge ?.... or a Guard judge ?.... or any combination lack thereof ? So what the heck, might as well keep the DCI early season Corps local show scores non public as well, imo. Fans of DCI might not like it at first. But they could get used to it in time. Especially if the other circuits in Band are currently doing this, and the fans there don't seem to mind not getting the shows scores.

Edited by BRASSO