2016 DCI Live!

DCA hit this last year regarding not being able to watch after the show was over. Could hit the rewind/pause/etc functions during the show but once the show was over.... the show WAS over and no way to go back. First year they did it (Prelims only) the whole thing was kept on line for a few days. Now it's all the weekend events but only chance to watch is basically live.

So it ain't just DCI....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Some people are very perfervid about blaming DCI. Where is the vitriol to the corps? I mean, the corps directorship could actually change the whole state of things themselves if they all just raised their hands and agreed to only play music they could attain permissions for.

that seems unlikely and limiting. But it'd solve things a lot faster than navigating the channels of law.

just very strange that people will get their hackles up towards the people who are working the hardest and have the most skin in the game yet leave the people who Actually Have the Power to Fix Things unscathed from their criticism. gee whiz, be equal opportunity angry, if you're going to insist on being angry.

• Like 1

Some people are very perfervid about blaming DCI. Where is the vitriol to the corps? I mean, the corps directorship could actually change the whole state of things themselves if they all just raised their hands and agreed to only play music they could attain permissions for.

that seems unlikely and limiting. But it'd solve things a lot faster than navigating the channels of law.

just very strange that people will get their hackles up towards the people who are working the hardest and have the most skin in the game yet leave the people who Actually Have the Power to Fix Things unscathed from their criticism. gee whiz, be equal opportunity angry, if you're going to insist on being angry.

Except that DCI has in the past only asked the corps to obtain the arrangement/performance licenses, which they do every year. The sync licenses for streaming and DVD have always been obtained by DCI directly, usually after the corps are already well down the road into their season. The individual corps' only way of controlling the issue would be to utilize only music within the public domain.

so you're saying the corps Could resolve the whole thing themselves if they all play original compositions and PD music? great, done!
we'd not only have A/V products, but they'd probably be significantly cheaper than usual!

this post and that last one are largely tongue in cheek. just the repeated instance of anti-management rhetoric is tiresome and pretty downright crass.

so you're saying the corps Could resolve the whole thing themselves if they all play original compositions and PD music?

Yes, but only if ALL the corps did it. As long as one corps doesn't, it affects the ability to stream/DVD the event, unless they black-out the offending corps.

Edited by Eleran

then those corps who don't opt into the 'play nice repertoire pact of 2016' can be repeatedly lambasted online until they change their evil greedy ways!

that'll learn 'em!

Except that DCI has in the past only asked the corps to obtain the arrangement/performance licenses, which they do every year. The sync licenses for streaming and DVD have always been obtained by DCI directly, usually after the corps are already well down the road into their season. The individual corps' only way of controlling the issue would be to utilize only music within the public domain.

Or an original commissioned piece.

Or an original commissioned piece.

Correct - sorry for that omission (probably just my bias towards hearing the works that have stood the test of time, though there certainly are a handful of living composers I wish would write original compositions for drum corps).

DCI is the corps. Its the corps directors who lead it and made those changes every year in the rules and bylaws. But if you're asking them to restrict their own creativity so you can purchase a DVD i think that's a pretty tall order. Their mission isn't to sell product.

• Like 1

[to Brian saying he can't watch the streamed shows live]

No, but you can record the stream yourself. I did just that several times last year.

Brian can't easily do that unless he wants to be up at 1:30 in the morning because he lives in Europe. There's probably a way to advance-schedule a recording with some video recording software, but somebody's gotta click Play on DCI Live for this workaround.

Brian I sympathize with your situation, I agree with your position, but is all this new to you? I'd have been astounded if DCI said they would allow delayed playback on DCI LIve in 2016 at this point. We don't have recordings of the 2015 shows. Fan Network with streamed video recordings of older shows is gone.

They can't do it. DCA can't do it. BOA can't do it. It's obviously out of their hands at the moment. Maybe they work out in the future, but there's little reason to be optimistic about it right now.

EDIT 8 HOURS LATER: OK, DCI issued a statement this afternoon... they're still working on web playback of recorded performances but have no information as to when they'll decide. I know, Brian, I know, painfully slow progress or lack thereof, but again, this situation is not just affecting DCI. As Jeff Ream says later in the thread, you can fault DCI for poor communication but not for lack of effort to get fans what they want; that blame lies with the other party with which DCI has to negotiate: Tresona. If Tresona won't allow it or won't allow it at any price DCI can agree to, it can't be done. DCI's statement today which addresses towards the bottom delayed playback of video performances:

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210577718&DB_OEM_ID=33500&mid=195538669&ml=31165464

Edited by Peel Paint