DVD/CD ?

Any word on the status of DCA DVD and CD's that were ordered. Just curious as the holidays are approaching fast.

I stumbled across something on DCI's website regarding the fact that they have audio CD's now available and it had some info. on THEIR dvd's/blu rays...they are "hopeful" that they will be able to ship in a late January time frame. As indicated above, it is due to licensing considerations. I am puzzled as to why rights are taking so much longer to secure this year as opposed to any other year, when rights were secured and the final product has historically shipped around Thanksgiving or shortly after.

Perhaps DCI should only allow public domain music in the future so we can avoid the issue. :sarcasm:

with corps adding samples of other works, playing tunes from all walks of life, the rights to distribute for sale linked to video are tougher to track down for everything in a show.

I am puzzled as to why rights are taking so much longer to secure this year as opposed to any other year, when rights were secured and the final product has historically shipped around Thanksgiving or shortly after.

What Mike D says. The licensing companies, or at least one big one, had their lawyers come up with a new legal position that makes rights acquisition much more onerous for organizations like DCI and DCA. In DCI, that has resulted in no video at all being available of non-Finalist corps, as well as the delays you mention.

in fact, its affected BOA, USBands, TOB, and all the rest of the marching circuits who used to sell DVDs

It's going to get worse before it gets better. Would not surprise me at all if DCI DVDs are a thing of the past within ten years, and video will only be available on a corp-by-corps basis from year to year.