Jersey Surf 2016

To say last year was a return to fun makes it sound like it had been years when in fact 2012 and 2013 were based on fun. 2014 was based on the corps motto to share the love. I do not see this year's show as old east coast drum corps at all. It is more cute than in your face.

To say last year was a return to fun makes it sound like it had been years when in fact 2012 and 2013 were based on fun. 2014 was based on the corps motto to share the love. I do not see this year's show as old east coast drum corps at all. It is more cute than in your face.

I'll agree that Surf is not the equivalent of 27th, Bridgemen, North Star, pre DCI finalists BAC, Muchachos, early Crossmen, or Garfield Cadets prior to 1983 in terms of in your face. I don't think Surf claims to be either. However, I do think that Bob Jacobs and crew tries to recreate the experiences of these corps, particularly the Bridgemen, a corps he knows well as a former marching member. Lots of folks who marched with these corps claim he's doing just that, including people who have marched with North Star alumni, Crusaders Senior, and Bridgemen alumni which has members from all the greats of the East Coast, and a few of his Bridgemen friends have told Bob to tell the kids not to be afraid of blowing their horns.

Surf seems happy bring Surf. I would like to see them more competitive, and having a more serious minded show this year could do that. Last year the show seemed to come apart after they had too much fun. This year they have a ballad I believe has great potential and I look forward to seeing it in Allentown. Crowds loved it at East Coast Classic. I'm also thinking that if Academy makes finals this year, which seems likely, we may see the traditional 13-22 more competitive next year. The first new corps to make finals since 2002 will cause quite a stir, one I'm anxious to see though hopefully not at the expense of two of my favorite corps.

I'll agree that Surf is not the equivalent of 27th, Bridgemen, North Star, pre DCI finalists BAC, Muchachos, early Crossmen, or Garfield Cadets prior to 1983 in terms of in your face. I don't think Surf claims to be either. However, I do think that Bob Jacobs and crew tries to recreate the experiences of these corps, particularly the Bridgemen, a corps he knows well as a former marching member. Lots of folks who marched with these corps claim he's doing just that, including people who have marched with North Star alumni, Crusaders Senior, and Bridgemen alumni which has members from all the greats of the East Coast, and a few of his Bridgemen friends have told Bob to tell the kids not to be afraid of blowing their horns.

Surf seems happy bring Surf. I would like to see them more competitive, and having a more serious minded show this year could do that. Last year the show seemed to come apart after they had too much fun. This year they have a ballad I believe has great potential and I look forward to seeing it in Allentown. Crowds loved it at East Coast Classic. I'm also thinking that if Academy makes finals this year, which seems likely, we may see the traditional 13-22 more competitive next year. The first new corps to make finals since 2002 will cause quite a stir, one I'm anxious to see though hopefully not at the expense of two of my favorite corps.

I can speak from some experience here YES I agree with everything you are saying BUT I think that even those who were involved with a corps like Bridgemen They ( as in staff as well as MMs , although had a very laid back approach), it took a lot of very hard work, dedication, retention, discipline , sweat and some tears to pull off what they did, no short cuts, no mamby pamby kumbaya, just hard work to make it look so effortless. Above all, excellence. What they did, play, and in all sections, was done with a very high level of skill. This and a well written, achievable show.

Sometimes when we look back in time some of us only remember the good ole times without the tough stuff.

Edited by GUARDLING

If Surf can keep kids, and them and the kids grow together, we can see competitive growth

• Like 1