Stanford Band at it again...

My issue with the Stanford band is their obviously putrid playing....irregardless of their attempts at humor.

There's a LOT of what I call "Droney-Baloney" coming out of the large College marching bands.

GoonchaGooncha Boomchuckaluck Drooooonedrone drooone.....

That wears on me. Kind of as if one was spoken to by someone who yelled and never varied the intensity of their yelling for 10 minutes. Or.... the band was trained to play the show on Vuvuzelas. :satisfied:

There's a LOT of what I call "Droney-Baloney" coming out of the large College marching bands.

GoonchaGooncha Boomchuckaluck Drooooonedrone drooone.....

That wears on me. Kind of as if one was spoken to by someone who yelled and never varied the intensity of their yelling for 10 minutes. Or.... the band was trained to play the show on Vuvuzelas. :satisfied:

Yep, but there are middle school bands that, in terms of simple musical proficiency, would leave Stanford in the dust.

• Like 1

I for one admire the Stanford band. You don't see to many bands doing what they do. They are so out there, and so original.

Rice University's Marching Owl Band (MOB) in Houston does a similar style, but honestly, to me a little less edgy and a bit funnier.

Mike

You mean funny doesn't always come from making fun of others?

Remembering the Stanford tribute to (IIRC) WV that included toxic gas releases... funny as Hell to people from Bhopal, India (2000+ killed from one).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

While I am no fan of Stanford's band, I do kind of dig what they represent: anti-authority, anti-tradition, "comedy," etc. What I do not dig at all is what they also represent: anti-achievement, anti-basic proficiency, etc. I don't mind that they're controversial, take cheap shots at opposition (the Iowa thing, jabs they've taken to Notre Dame over the years, USC and Cal jabs, etc) or do stuff to have fun. I wish they backed their psuedo-anarchic demeanor by performing better.

I wonder what Stanford students/alum think of the band: fun, embarrassing, somewhere in between?

• Like 2

While I am no fan of Stanford's band, I do kind of dig what they represent: anti-authority, anti-tradition, "comedy," etc. What I do not dig at all is what they also represent: anti-achievement, anti-basic proficiency, etc. I don't mind that they're controversial, take cheap shots at opposition (the Iowa thing, jabs they've taken to Notre Dame over the years, USC and Cal jabs, etc) or do stuff to have fun. I wish they backed their psuedo-anarchic demeanor by performing better.

I wonder what Stanford students/alum think of the band: fun, embarrassing, somewhere in between?

For those of us who dug the irreverent humor of Firesign Theater, the Stanford schtick would be a lot more palatable if they could play their buns off; but Stanford lacks any cred on the musical front....... Just poseurs, imho.

For those of us who dug the irreverent humor of Firesign Theater, the Stanford schtick would be a lot more palatable if they could play their buns off; but Stanford lacks any cred on the musical front....... Just poseurs, imho.

Similar approaches at Yale and Princeton have also led to suspensions from each university and in two cases from the NCAA as well as violations of their "sportsmanship" component of their collegiate athletics.

While one is known for their Classical Music school and the other for their choir school nearby, football half times don't seem to be their favorite things.