The State of Drum and Bugle Corps

Here's my concern. And again... I don't want to sound like i'm bashing DCA, but this needs to be said. I think this is why they are having to go younger in recruitment for DCA. After a few years of abusing your body in a Jr corps. I think most age outs don't want to do more of that. They want to move on with their lives. They've already been through the highest level of the marching arts, they can't go up any higher. My concern is that the style of DCA as it currently is, is too close to DCI, and after a few seasons on tour, they don't want to march DCA because it feels like taking a step down. If DCA went back to the "more fun, less art" approach. You might get a few more. Because that's a different style of performance. DCA used to be more about playing and content, than artistic design. No one wants to hear that DCA feels like a step down from DCI, but it is currently. The shows are styled like DCI. There's too much in them to clean, not enough "fun" to hold the DCA crowd's attention, and not enough time to make any of it match the level of what the age outs just came from. They've also just spent $3K+ for each season they marched. But until those corps setting the pace in DCA acknowledge this, and change how they set the pace. Its not going to get better.

therein lies the dilemma...the kids want to do those kinds of shows

I didn't get to see the DCA groups live until a few years ago. But to be honest, i liked the shows from 5 years ago more. They had a good mix of entertainment, and demand. They were cleanable so that come august feet, form, and intonation wasn't still suffering like it is today.

no field judges, no need to clean

I haven't marched DCA, so I'm asking, not making a snarky comment: is it fairly standard practice after roadtrips/shows for the members over 21 to go out for a drink? I know most adult recreational sports teams (eg. your company's softball or soccer team) often consider the game and the post-game imbibing as equally important.

If so, I think that might be one perceived difference between a young kid joining a DCA corps and joining a community wind band (though I suppose the wind band MIGHT do the same thing; somehow, it just doesn't appear as likely).

not nearly like it used to be

• Like 1

So why can't there be one organization governing what the activity does for three "conferences"....World, Open and All Age? All age can still do the weekend thing, as can most Open corps in DCI. Let those smaller junior corps do a small tour at the end of the season leading up to DCI Championships. With one organization, I think, you can still keep the interest up for the "junior" corps members to go into an all age corps after they age out.

• Like 1

When we changed our name back in 2012 we changed many of the policies regarding drinking and the like. Buses are now completely dry when traveling, and there is an 8 hour "bottle to throttle" as pilots would call it, policy in regards to rehearsals and everything else. Members also sign an alcohol policy agreement when offered a contract that states these policies.

Yes, DCA has changed a lot in the last few decades.

Dan

It would not surprise me one bit in the years to come that DCA has dry shows (no beer sales) like they do at HS football games and most college games. I would imagine if you are tying to attract a younger audience filled with mostly parents and young teens you don't want to have a lot of boozed up has been's in the stands drunk. Its for the children (Nancy Reagan)

Edited by camel lips

Any show that is held in a public school stadium is a dry show now. Championships is really the only venue in question at this point as far as alcohol sales goes.

Dan

Basically what I was trying to say to include championships.

Dan is spot on, most DCA contests are held at HS venues now. Do the sales of Alcohol keep kids and families away from Harrisburg Senators Minor League baseball games? No. It's a moot point really. Sales are tightly regulated, etc. at venues where it is served now. It's not like the one show in upstate NY years ago where you walked up in uniform after your performance, made sure your voice was really deep and asked for a beer at some table in a manly way and you got one, no questions asked.....

Any show that is held in a public school stadium is a dry show now. Championships is really the only venue in question at this point as far as alcohol sales goes.

Dan

There are some very iconic exceptions; where stadiums are used by schools and other community organizations. Nothing dry about this historic location, no matter what event.

August 6, 2016---Kiltie Klassic Invitational

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horlick_Field

Kilties

MN Brass

Govies

CHOPS

Erie Thunderbirds

Cincinnati Tradition

Gotta love it!!!

It would not surprise me one bit in the years to come that DCA has dry shows (no beer sales) like they do at HS football games and most college games. I would imagine if you are tying to attract a younger audience filled with mostly parents and young teens you don't want to have a lot of boozed up has been's in the stands drunk. Its for the children (Nancy Reagan)

I loved the Scranton stadium bar as much as the next guy, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if DCA Championships were held in a venue that was alcohol free. Frankly, if the deciding factor for a fan to attend championships is based on alcohol availability, I'm not sure I even care. That clearly isn't the fan DCA is (or should be) marketing to.

Besides, anywhere the event is held will have local bars and restaurants that folks can meet up at post-show, which they'd likely do anyway.

• Like 1