The Balance: "Souless Perfection" vs. "Inspired Attempt&#3

'92 Star is a good example perfect execution but the soul is somehow missing. I also would place '88 BD in that category. Saw them mid-season and WOW, how could anyone top that ! But at finals it seemed like the spark was gone and, although executed to perfection, was mechanical and emotionless.

"Executed to perfection?" By the time BD got to finals week, all they had going was brass. 6th in GE Visual, 5th in drums, 4th in marching. When I saw them in early August, I expected the same DOMINANCE of 1986. I mean, knock off my face, blow it down my throat dominance (in '86, we were 50 yardline about 25 rows up for Finals. Holy Christmas, BD!!!!).

What they did in '88 was change their style. Yes, judging was changing (they figured it out 6 years later), but they were just another jazzy group with a great sound (compared to 1987's horrid hornline). SCV and Madison had soul---and JUST enough execution to beat BD. Heck the Devils were lucky to get out of that in 3rd. Garfield's drums and horns were on fire finals night...but had even less soul than BD.

Over the years I have witnessed the other side of the activity as well. Members being verbally abused, pushed beyond reasonable limits, beat down over the course of a summer for whatever reason. Can't be good for the long term health of the organization or retention and recruitment of members. Counterproductive in the long run. Don't work harder...work smarter.

Dan

Ive seen both work actually and oddly enough seen many gravitate to both sides of that. Some groups can get away with much more than others could. Some can fall apart being to easy and others to hard. A corps has to do what works for them and what brings success ( however one defines success )

but they were just another jazzy group with a great sound (compared to 1987's horrid hornline).

My opinion:

A BD "horrid horn line"... whatever that means, I have no idea... is still better than the vast majority of horn lines ever put on the field.

• Like 4

"Executed to perfection?" By the time BD got to finals week, all they had going was brass. 6th in GE Visual, 5th in drums, 4th in marching. When I saw them in early August, I expected the same DOMINANCE of 1986. I mean, knock off my face, blow it down my throat dominance (in '86, we were 50 yardline about 25 rows up for Finals. Holy Christmas, BD!!!!).

What they did in '88 was change their style. Yes, judging was changing (they figured it out 6 years later), but they were just another jazzy group with a great sound (compared to 1987's horrid hornline). SCV and Madison had soul---and JUST enough execution to beat BD. Heck the Devils were lucky to get out of that in 3rd. Garfield's drums and horns were on fire finals night...but had even less soul than BD.

BD peaked at Allentown...kinda like Crossmen 91,While I still think SCV should have won in 88, you can't deny Madison caught lightning in a bottle and rode it.

88 Cadets....such talent, but yeah, the show was lacking. star 88 even moreso

Edited by Jeff Ream

My opinion:

A BD "horrid horn line"... whatever that means, I have no idea... is still better than the vast majority of horn lines ever put on the field.

Perspective. Listen to 1986...one of the best horn lines in DCI history. 1988: Another "typical" tremendous BD line. 1987: *OBVIOUS* intonation problems throughout that show. My guess is a huge amount of rookies (gee... like 2015). And the ending was an exact repeat of 1986 (terrible decision by designers). They ran out of steam. It was obvious. It's the worst hornline they've fielded since 1974---their first appearance in the top 12 with a TWELFTH place hornline.

More perspective: '87's Brass Ensemble judge, Bill Doyle, gave them a 9.4 (BD went on last as defending champs). SCV, with their own intonation issues (and severe overblowing) got a lofty 9.8. Garfield, a 9.9. That's quite a spread considering BD's history. Oh, Phantom even beat them (9.5) with one of DCI's biggest "meltdown" shows compared to semifinals.

Edited by Tad_MMA

Perspective. Listen to 1986...one of the best horn lines in DCI history. 1988: Another "typical" tremendous BD line. 1987: *OBVIOUS* intonation problems throughout that show. My guess is a huge amount of rookies (gee... like 2015). And the ending was an exact repeat of 1986 (terrible decision by designers). They ran out of steam. It was obvious. It's the worst hornline they've fielded since 1974---their first appearance in the top 12 with a TWELFTH place hornline.

More perspective: '87's Brass Ensemble judge, Bill Doyle, gave them a 9.4 (BD went on last as defending champs). SCV, with their own intonation issues (and severe overblowing) got a lofty 9.8. Garfield, a 9.9. That's quite a spread considering BD's history. Oh, Phantom even beat them (9.5) with one of DCI's biggest "meltdown" shows compared to semifinals.

Not as good, I'll give you. Absolutely correct.

But "horrid"?

Compared to what, the NY Philharmonic... the Chicago Symphony, etc.? All drum corps is "horrid" compared to that. :tongue:

I marched in a local-circuit corps, back in the day. Some very good corps for their level, but also several corps that barely could get out of their own way or know which end of the instruments to blow into. You want "horrid horn lines"... there were plenty of them. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

One cannot respect others if he (or she) cannot first respect themselves. What I am saying is this: Much as Ghost pointed out, a group of adolescents who truly believe that they are being respected and taken care for by their leadership will most likely walk through hell in a gasoline suit for them. Those who feel that they are there simply as a means for the glorification of the staff/leadership will most likely find themselves increasingly "mailing in" their performance. Not sure this answers the original question...but in my (admittedly weird) mind it (kinda') makes sense.

• Like 1

88 Cadets....such talent, but yeah, the show was lacking. star 88 even moreso

Funny, those might be the two shows I find most underrated in drum corps. To me that Star program was miles ahead of '89, at least musically.

Funny, those might be the two shows I find most underrated in drum corps. To me that Star program was miles ahead of '89, at least musically.

Loved cadets 88. Sandwich between 87 Appalachian Spring and the hugely popular 89 Les Miserable program it is overlooked. A great program that probably translated better live than on video.

• Like 2

Not as good, I'll give you. Absolutely correct.

But "horrid"?

Compared to what, the NY Philharmonic... the Chicago Symphony, etc.? All drum corps is "horrid" compared to that. :tongue:

I marched in a local-circuit corps, back in the day. Some very good corps for their level, but also several corps that barely could get out of their own way or know which end of the instruments to blow into. You want "horrid horn lines"... there were plenty of them. LOL.

SCV brass had some intonation issues but dang it was LOUD. My ears are still ringing from their standstill at Allentown that year.

The rolling notes in the opener were magic.

They buzzed with the best of them.

Magical.

Sometimes technically proficient is soooo overrated.

Hence this thread.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1