Finals Week...what do you do?

As has somewhat become a sort of tradition over the past years, my friends and I that go to Finals week have a schedule of events/things to do or see. We do the entire marathon of prelims on Thursday, watching each and every show. Friday we generally pick a corps (possibly 2 or 3), and go watch them rehearse during the day. Later on Friday, we spend the evening in the warm-up area, and take in the groups there, and as most of us are part of the same staff, we even spend time watching elements "outside of our section." Then Saturday we do the Soundpsort and Drumline Battle events (since they have been introduced), and enjoy the Finals night festivities, including staying for the encore each year. There are the obligatory stops at certain restaurants, etc., figured into our plans as well. Just curious as to what other different things people may do during Finals week.

Edited by ibexpercussion

I always fly in on Wednesday. Several years ago, I took the guided tour of Lucas Oil Stadium. It took several hours but was very interesting. You go from the lowest point to the highest. Tour suites and private club areas as well as the press box. Also the Colts locker room. During the tour the corps were setting up their double booths. We also go to enter the field from the tunnel the corps use. It was cool to see that vantage point. I'm going to do it again this year.

We do a lot of the above. Last year, I added the Street Beat 5K. It's a nice run -- from Military Park along the walking paths near the river and it ends in the parking lot behind Lucas Oil.

It depends on the year and my vacation. I like to begin with Allentown. I sometimes hit a few shows between Allentown and Indy, or sometimes I head toward DC to visit friends. This year my plan is to arrive Tuesday night, hit the Indiana State Fair for Wednesday and be in my seat as soon as prelims begin on Thursday.

We do a lot of the above. Last year, I added the Street Beat 5K. It's a nice run -- from Military Park along the walking paths near the river and it ends in the parking lot behind Lucas Oil.

I did the 5K last year as well. Has not become a tradition so to speak for me yet, and definitely will not be (as far as the actual participation in) for my friends.

This will be our first year at Indy ... the last two years I knew my boy wasn't getting to Finals night (or even semifinals, as it turned out), so we saved the money and saw a lot of shows closer to home instead.

Probably arriving Monday evening, and no concrete plans for Tuesday/Wednesday, but thought we might: (a) driving down to Bloomington to check out Indiana U. as a possibility for me son, and (b) driving up to Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Interested in other options - the wife and daughters will not be joining me at the stadium Thursday or Friday - hope they don't find something expensive to do.

Quarterfinals - go the the DCI Live cinemacast.

Semis/Finals - go up to northern WI to hang out in my relatives' cabin ... where there is no internet/cell reception for 15ish miles. Ignore all traces of drum corps and focus on the summer-fun-activities that I sacrifice every year because of my involvement with marching band/drum corps: 4-wheeling, river tubing, playing with left-over fireworks from July 4 (hoping to avoid the same fate as Jason Pierre-Paul), and living on a diet of nothing but Old Milwaukee and grilled pork loin. Return home Sunday, remember than Finals happened, and thumb through recaps and people's angry/elated reactions.

I've done this for a couple of years, and will keep doing it until they move finals out of Indy.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

If you have a lot of spare $$$, some corps will let you come on to the field with them or rather, with their corps staff.

PR have done this in the past.

If could afford to do it, I would.

• Like 1