Rocky Point Holiday

Was talking to a friend about Cadets 83' today. We were wondering if Cadets performing Rocky Point Holiday was the first time a DCI corps ever performed a piece of Wind Ensemble literature. and also was Cadets 83' one of the fastest tempos to date that a corps had marched?

I'm pretty sure you can find out the answer to that at www.corpsreps.com

I'm also pretty sure that Holst's suites, either 1 or 2 or both, had been performed before 1983.

• Like 2

Rocky Point Holiday was commissioned by the University of Minnesota band back in the '60s.

I had many friends from that particular year, and later played with them at state band camps. Several of them also marched with the St. Paul Scouts and Minnesota Brass.

Whenever the Cadets perform at DCI Minnesota I always wondered if they know TCF Bank Stadium is just a short walk from the first place Rocky Point was ever performed in the late '60s.

The previously mentioned Holst Suites go back to 1971, and his wind band piece, Moorside, also goes back to the '70s.

Emperata Overture was first performed by a number of corps in the early '70s.

John Barnes Chance pieces were also played in the '70s.

Guardsmen first introduced John Zdechlik's Chorale & Shaker Dance to the field in 76.

• Like 2

Cadets 72 opener was Clifton Williams' "The Sinfonians" concert band piece. The drumline did "Song of the Blacksmith" as the drum solo in 72, from the Holst Suite in F.

We also played the "Chaconne" from the Holst Eb Suite in 1971.

• Like 1

Doing a little research year by year on corpsreps, and excluding marches, as many were not originally written as "wind ensemble" literature, it appears the first time would be Glenn Osser's "Beguine for Band." This is a piece that was written specifically for concert band, or wind ensemble as some like to use.

I'm sure there were other pieces used earlier, but corpsreps only has so much information, and much of the history of the activity pre-DCI isn't as easy to research.

Doing a little research year by year on corpsreps, and excluding marches, as many were not originally written as "wind ensemble" literature, it appears the first time would be Glenn Osser's "Beguine for Band." This is a piece that was written specifically for concert band, or wind ensemble as some like to use.

I'm sure there were other pieces used earlier, but corpsreps only has so much information, and much of the history of the activity pre-DCI isn't as easy to research.

The (Garfield) Cadets played Beguine for Band in 1963.

• Like 1

The (Garfield) Cadets played Beguine for Band in 1963.

Mea culpa for not listing who played it, I apologize for being so offensive by simply listing the piece.

Edited by tesmusic

Thank you all so very much for the historical perspective. I appreciate the research and scholarship involved in your undertaking, and I most assuredly can (and WILL) use these nuggets as "teachable moments" with my groups -- especially in relating the concert and marching genres for my kids. Thanks, all.

• Like 1

Rocky Point Holiday to this day is one of my favorite Cadets music they have done. I mentioned a few years ago why they don't do this piece again and I think someone said it's because of Leonard Bernstein copyright issues.