DCI Minnesota--Change of Plans

i hope they get a signed document.

Very likely, but it might have been different if this didn't involve a new coach, an interim AD, and an athletic department that's in shambles (as evidenced by the BS-artist former AD resigning in disgrace, an uphill battle for fundraising a massive athletic facility, donors vocally pulling their support for aforementioned project, constant scandals among the athletes ... not to mention underachieving revenue sports ... and these combined aren't even the tip of the iceberg of how inept this athletic department is).

I'm not saying DCI is blameless -- Dan A. even acknowledged it in the article -- but this isn't the action of a university athletic department that has its #### together.

I totally agree with this. I read an article about it not long ago and thought to myself "sounds like their athletic department is trying to save face by supporting their new FB coach and by standing strong about the use of their facilities.

Then I thought to myself, those facilities do NOT belong to athletics. They belong to the University and are only built with lots of cash coming from alumni and donors world wide. Athletics gets to use them, but often when these things are built, like FB stadiums, there are incentives and requirements for allowing other organizations to use those facilities. It helps to bring in more money. DCI would bring in way more money, as noted in the article, than this coach's football camp. It's just a stupid power play by a new coach who is trying to make a bold statement and a splash with the community and potential football recruits. He likely walked into his new job and thought that he owns the stadium and that it was ONLY built for him and his team. No doubt it's primary purpose is football, but I think UM would like to use it for many other reasons, and contract or no contract, shame on them (UM Admin) for not stepping in and setting their coach straight about a few things.

Big income will trump PR for athletics every time

I'll concede that any negative PR this athletic department gets is a drop in the bucket. But I don't see how a recruiting meet-and-greet equates to big income (maybe in the ultra-long term, but it's not like the coach was meeting with major donors).

I totally agree with this. I read an article about it not long ago and thought to myself "sounds like their athletic department is trying to save face by supporting their new FB coach and by standing strong about the use of their facilities.

Then I thought to myself, those facilities do NOT belong to athletics. They belong to the University and are only built with lots of cash coming from alumni and donors world wide. Athletics gets to use them, but often when these things are built, like FB stadiums, there are incentives and requirements for allowing other organizations to use those facilities. It helps to bring in more money. DCI would bring in way more money, as noted in the article, than this coach's football camp. It's just a stupid power play by a new coach who is trying to make a bold statement and a splash with the community and potential football recruits. He likely walked into his new job and thought that he owns the stadium and that it was ONLY built for him and his team. No doubt it's primary purpose is football, but I think UM would like to use it for many other reasons, and contract or no contract, shame on them (UM Admin) for not stepping in and setting their coach straight about a few things.

Exactly. It should also be noted that 48% of the stadium's financing comes directly from the state.

Again: DCI is not above criticism, but this whole situation stemmed from an amateurishly operated athletic department and a green coach on a power trip.

Strib article on the reversal:

http://www.startribune.com/drum-corps-show-will-go-on-university-of-minnesota-says/378348331/

This happened ONCE in DCA.

A really Big show in Both FAN ATTENDANCE and QUALITY of Corps was to be in Hershey PA. a very large stadium with lots of parking. It was the same reason. Kicked them ("DCA") out just months before the show. For some Rock Band concert. It was a Senior show. (At Hershey Park an Amusement Park). I believe they even had Junior Corps some years (5 an 5 each).

The big difference is DCA NEVER went back. That was back in the '70s. People to this day ask why Hersey is NOT even considered for the DCA World Championships. BUT THEY do NOT TRUST going there. Now you know.

(Please, if I got something wrong. Correct me. It was a Long Time ago.)

A really Big show in Both FAN ATTENDANCE and QUALITY of Corps was to be in Hershey PA. a very large stadium with lots of parking. It was the same reason. Kicked them ("DCA") out just months before the show. For some Rock Band concert. It was a Senior show. (At Hershey Park an Amusement Park). I believe they even had Junior Corps some years (5 an 5 each).

The big difference is DCA NEVER went back. That was back in the '70s. People to this day ask why Hersey is NOT even considered for the DCA World Championships. BUT THEY do NOT TRUST going there. Now you know.

youre mostly right. the articles are in the DCp archives, I even attended the court hearings.

the show was usually DCA/DCI. it had been a handshake arrangement for years, and for the summer of 05, boom a Beyonce date came open and HERco booted the show. no handshake agreement for tops 7k paid will beat what she'd bring i. HERCo tried the public "we'll put her in the arena" PR move, then tried to jack up fees to use the stadium. the show promoters lost in court because there was nothing on paper. It did shed a big spotlight on how HERCO operated, and many groups they did handshakes for soon changed their business practices, bot except for maybe one YEA run show, since 2006 no drum corps shows have been held there.

Funny thing is the guy who dicked over 5 Star Brass became one of the management team for the Rochester stadium the following year. Maybe he's why it's the mess it's been

• Like 2

I believe this happened in the 90's with DCI. I used to go to the Hershey competition every year (combined DCA/DCI shows) and had my tickets purchased. Then, I got a letter in the mail stating that Hershey was using the stadium for a rock concert instead and that I was getting a refund for my tickets. It really ticked me off because this area doesn't have any good drum corps shows nearby any more and Hershey was very convenient as it was close. Not only did DCI/DCA stop having competitions there, I stopped going to Hershey Park since they seem to care more about making money than keeping their commitments.

• Like 1

youre mostly right. the articles are in the DCp archives, I even attended the court hearings.

the show was usually DCA/DCI. it had been a handshake arrangement for years, and for the summer of 05, boom a Beyonce date came open and HERco booted the show. no handshake agreement for tops 7k paid will beat what she'd bring i. HERCo tried the public "we'll put her in the arena" PR move, then tried to jack up fees to use the stadium. the show promoters lost in court because there was nothing on paper. It did shed a big spotlight on how HERCO operated, and many groups they did handshakes for soon changed their business practices, bot except for maybe one YEA run show, since 2006 no drum corps shows have been held there.

Funny thing is the guy who dicked over 5 Star Brass became one of the management team for the Rochester stadium the following year. Maybe he's why it's the mess it's been

THANKS JEFF!!! (Here is another "behind the scenes" note about the Hershey show.)

The last time I marched this show was 1976 with the NYC Skyliners. I worked on the Corps Equipment truck. The jerk on the gate was NOT going to let it into the Stadium area. But Gene Warden the equipment Manager told them in, REAL New York City Language where to go , and how to get there.in some "very colorful language" "That ff he did not. The current ''75 DCA World Champions.. The NYC Skyliners: That if the Equipment truck did Not get in the Skyliners would Not be preforming".. Needless to say, they let us in!.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I believe this happened in the 90's with DCI. I used to go to the Hershey competition every year (combined DCA/DCI shows) and had my tickets purchased. Then, I got a letter in the mail stating that Hershey was using the stadium for a rock concert instead and that I was getting a refund for my tickets. It really ticked me off because this area doesn't have any good drum corps shows nearby any more and Hershey was very convenient as it was close. Not only did DCI/DCA stop having competitions there, I stopped going to Hershey Park since they seem to care more about making money than keeping their commitments.

see above it was 2005

THANKS JEFF!!! (Here is another "behind the scenes" note about the Hershey show.)

The last time I marched this show was 1976 with the NYC Skyliners. I worked on the Corps Equipment truck. The jerk on the gate was NOT going to let it into the Stadium area. But Gene Warden the equipment Manager told them in, REAL New York City Language where to go , and how to get there.in some "very colorful language" "That ff he did not. The current ''75 DCA World Champions.. The NYC Skyliners: That if the Equipment truck did Not get in the Skyliners would Not be preforming".. Needless to say, they let us in!.

well that was before 5 star took over the show. I think lower dauphin HS and the legion ran it