No Live Coverage of DCA this year

Well Ed if the cost to do the feed costs more than what it takes in then it's a plu$ for DCA not to do it.

Where is our resident insider on this, haven't seen any posts or quite a while....

I don't recall how much the live stream pulled in its first year . The dollar amount or the number of users was announced in here but it was no small number . One would really have to sit down knowing all the facts in terms of cost of production vs paid feeds vs paid attendance to see where they are at financially . How devistating is the loss of paid internet feeds going to be ??? is DCA expecting to make up the loss income from paid internet fees in paid attendance ?? Do they feel that is a realistic goal . ??

I think the idea is that since rochester's attendance is going down, this might be their way of trying to get more butts in seats. OR, the cost of licensing for video broadcast has the potential to be so large, it may have been something that they just had to say no to.

It was offered as part of the DCI Fan Network, which is no longer in service due to licensing fees. It would make sense that this too had to go away if DCA was going to have to cover the costs associated with music rights for live broadcast.

I hope the idea isn't to get more butts in seats as I can't picture people from out of town saying "Gee instead of paying less than $100 and be at home, I'll pay about $500+ for hotel, tickets, eating out and totally bag whatever plans I had for the weekend". And for the local people who might do that... well that's not exactly bringing more $$$ into the Rochester area as they are there anyway.

Jim-

More "butts in the seats" won't really work long term. There aren't enough seats to be had! Whatever seats remaining available are "not so hot " and don't lead to repeat customers. The best example of this factor is right before our eyes. Since the first year of the new Rochester stadium (2006) the attendance has steadily gone down. There was NEVER room to grow there!

I'm am certain, DCA is facing some challenging financial issues. In my mind, building a lucrative DIGITAL audience was critical. Evidently, the funds to make that happen are not available. The broadcast rights matter is most likely the key roadblock. As compared to DCI, DCA is a kitchen table group that tries its best to manage an entertaining product that is very expensive to present.

I won't be attending live, but would have purchased a home viewing. You and I are not alone here.

• Like 4

As an educated outsider looking in... I didn't even ask or hear the figures on the success or lack thereof for the internet feed... here are a couple things I do know

Not doing an internet feed will most likely have no effect on the attendance... people will come... or they won't

If for whatever other reason they don't come, a few of that group might have bought the inet pack BUT

The inet pack would do much better in 17 when Kidsgrove comes back... Drum Corps Europe seems to support that type of thing more... they just need a reason like supporting KS

This issue is way beyond DCA (Or DCI for that matter)

The entire entertainment media is running so freaking scared they are making stupid decisions...

Trying to make up lost revenue from record sales (sorry CD) from high schools, colleges and drum corps is a crime... eventually, they will #### off enough voters (bando parents) that congress will step in...but that will take a long time... and we all know how much anyone wants to get involved in politics right now... next year, maybe some rich influential high school band parent will pick up the cause... the industry screwing the kids and the non profits is throwing the baby out with the bath water... but Hollywood is running so ###### scared they have no freaking idea what they're doing...

All I know is not having INET feed will not kill DCA... there are bigger issues than that

However, having the INET feed at a LOSS reducing the money distributed to the corps - could be devastating

Unlike DCI, the annual revenue from DCA is often the difference between survival and failure...

Would any of you insist on having the INET feed if it meant one or two of the 20 or so corps didn't exist next year???

This all sounds like someone made a wise decision.

• Like 7

As an educated outsider looking in... I didn't even ask or hear the figures on the success or lack thereof for the internet feed... here are a couple things I do know

Not doing an internet feed will most likely have no effect on the attendance... people will come... or they won't

If for whatever other reason they don't come, a few of that group might have bought the inet pack BUT

The inet pack would do much better in 17 when Kidsgrove comes back... Drum Corps Europe seems to support that type of thing more... they just need a reason like supporting KS

This issue is way beyond DCA (Or DCI for that matter)

The entire entertainment media is running so freaking scared they are making stupid decisions...

Trying to make up lost revenue from record sales (sorry CD) from high schools, colleges and drum corps is a crime... eventually, they will #### off enough voters (bando parents) that congress will step in...but that will take a long time... and we all know how much anyone wants to get involved in politics right now... next year, maybe some rich influential high school band parent will pick up the cause... the industry screwing the kids and the non profits is throwing the baby out with the bath water... but Hollywood is running so ###### scared they have no freaking idea what they're doing...

All I know is not having INET feed will not kill DCA... there are bigger issues than that

However, having the INET feed at a LOSS reducing the money distributed to the corps - could be devastating

Unlike DCI, the annual revenue from DCA is often the difference between survival and failure...

Would any of you insist on having the INET feed if it meant one or two of the 20 or so corps didn't exist next year???

This all sounds like someone made a wise decision.

Not sure if others were like me. BUT, when I went to the Championships. (and I was not in Finals), I would go to Prelims. From first Corps on field, to the last Corps. Then leave the next morning. That way I got to see and hear EVERYONE, and save some money and time away from home in Florida, Georgia or New Jersey.

• Like 1

2B when I wasn't marching and DCA was in Allentown my sister and I would drive over for Prelims. And that was all corps as some of the unknown ones were entertaining in their own right. Then back home in time for supper (barely).

And agree totally with Tom on beyond DCA/DCI control. To me it looks like the whole legal bit is not set in stone and everyone is afraid to make a mistake that will bite or kill them. Worse yet they might do something that will look like an illegal move but isn't. And seeing first hand how expensive defending ones self in court even when innocent can kill things just as bad. (Had an extended family member caught up in a sting. Only 2 of the 10 caught up were guilty but many trip$ to court later the "innoncent 8" took a plea bargain for probation before they went broke.)

Not beating on DCA for any move here but a reason for killing the webcast would be nice customer relations. Especially since we can't take the trip even if we wanted to.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Shaking my head over the sports may blackout locally but have their own networks to make $$$.....

That's why you can't see locally anymore.....

On topic: wish I knew what DCA would have to charge to break even but "no need to know"

DCi is $100 for the season. DCA is $100 for a weekend.

do the math

I don't recall how much the live stream pulled in its first year . The dollar amount or the number of users was announced in here but it was no small number . One would really have to sit down knowing all the facts in terms of cost of production vs paid feeds vs paid attendance to see where they are at financially . How devistating is the loss of paid internet feeds going to be ??? is DCA expecting to make up the loss income from paid internet fees in paid attendance ?? Do they feel that is a realistic goal . ??

as it stands, DCA would not come close to breaking even running a feed this year from what I have heard. Thousands short

As it stands, DCA would not come close to breaking even running a feed this year from what I have heard. Thousands short.

Did they break even last year?

That is to say: would a DCA live stream be a money loser under any circumstances, or is it only due to the recently emerged licensing fee issues?