No Live Coverage of DCA this year

The entire entertainment media is running so freaking scared they are making stupid decisions...

Trying to make up lost revenue from record sales (sorry CD) from high schools, colleges and drum corps is a crime... eventually, they will #### off enough voters (bando parents) that congress will step in...but that will take a long time... and we all know how much anyone wants to get involved in politics right now... next year, maybe some rich influential high school band parent will pick up the cause... the industry screwing the kids and the non profits is throwing the baby out with the bath water... but Hollywood is running so ###### scared they have no freaking idea what they're doing...

Tom hits the nail on the head- ever since downloading, the recording industry stopped making massive profits, and have tried every attempt to find money to maintain their lifestyles. Performing artists now can't make money off recordings- it explains why so many old-time groups are out there touring now. That's where they get paid now.

Will things get reasonable again? Unfortunately, I doubt it.

On that subject, you have China pretty much ignoring all of this and flipping off the rest of the world in terms of intellectual property rights, which does cost the recording industry dearly. The Chinese have even more of the attitude that everything off the internet is for free, especially music. My thoughts on it is that their government wants to do damage to performing artists/keep a tight lid on them. Freedom to express one's self isn't smiled upon there.

What I do see is a cycle where to avoid all of these issues, there is one legal solution:

Everyone will have to design and create shows with all-original music so that there is no need to deal with intellectual property right holders in this way.

I know a lot of folks are shivering in their boots over that one- but the right individuals do compose solid original works for this activity, and their services would be at a premium.

Did they break even last year?

That is to say: would a DCA live stream be a money loser under any circumstances, or is it only due to the recently emerged licensing fee issues?

i dont honestly think they did. the key is will whoever is the new media company willing to eat some of the loss?

not attempting to sound snippy, but..... why would they?? just to promote their name?

don't ask me. i feel bad for the last media team...they got a bad rap in 14 for the stadium issues that caused most of the prelims feed to suck

Yeah I can feel that pain in my IT job..... Only as good as the stuff you use and if it ain't your stuff...

And lot of times you don't know how fast/slow/sucky things are going to be until you go live....

Might have been one of the few people who felt sorry for them instead of POed

don't ask me. i feel bad for the last media team...they got a bad rap in 14 for the stadium issues that caused most of the prelims feed to suck

Tell me about it. I had essentially front row seats to Mike and his team fighting the good fight during Prelims.

• Like 2

What would be nice. If no broadcast of any kind of full show.

A full account here on DCP of Kevin. and maybe one camera (from Press Box) at Prelims and finals showing One Music piece done.

At lest, one Photo of each Corps competing, AND Kevin's usual great post's !!!! ( for those of us that can not make it due to Health or Cost of going.

I usually have at least one photo per corps during my coverage, plus we usually have Charlie Groh doing his magic at DCA (haven't asked him if he's in this year). I MIGHT be able to do a short video of each corps on Instagram and link it to the thread, but I don't want to cause more trouble for DCA than its worth under the circumstances.

• Like 1

i'm not happy about it, but i get the whys and why nots. it'll suck, my wife will be irritated with me as i keep checking various places for updates, but it is what it is. the first time in my life in one way or another i wont be watching DCA prelims and finals.

and i'll wake up monday morning, the world will go on, and in the long run, i'll be glad i didnt have to drive up there either alone, or with a 4 year old