Conducting DM camps for better leaders?

The least qualifying personal attribute to be an effective DM is the ability to flap one's arms to the correct beat on a podium. Lots of marchers can probably be taught that at a DM camp.

Actually, adding the caveat "...in time", conducting is the *most* qualifying attribute in a DCI drum major. The idea of exceptional leadership skills being primary isn't nearly as important as many people seem to believe. Every corps in DCI is filled to the brim with excellent leaders.

Actually, adding the caveat "...in time", conducting is the *most* qualifying attribute in a DCI drum major. The idea of exceptional leadership skills being primary isn't nearly as important as many people seem to believe. Every corps in DCI is filled to the brim with excellent leaders.

Some corps in DCI utilize the DM "merely" as the human metronome. Others deem them the responsibilities akin to an assistant director of the corps. A third approach is to give the member the same latitude to interpret the musical piece in terms of tempos and dynamics more similar to a Conductor of a symphony. Probably most DCI corps have a combination of all these approaches.

Off the field leadership is one skill set some corps need or emphasize. Others have the podium person bear almost no administrative tasks or responsibilities. In DCi, a discussion of what a drum major or conductor needs to be has to have these clarifications of preliminary expectations or presumptions otherwise the conversation becomes a chicken talking to a duck, both fowl but not the same.

I agree with John that the membership of DCI includes phenomenal persons with many talents and leadership abilities in their sections and in their non-DCI lives. Quite a few have been DMs/Conductors for their scholastic and university ensembles elsewhere.

Leftover baguette and brie show props?

only for 2005 and 2015.

But of course, we're going on supposed evidence that one person told another who told... In 50 plus years of the activity, I've never seen a Regiment member drop from malnutrition.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Are DCI drum majors still corps leaders who are merely human metronomes on the podium?

Depends on the corps, and depends on the capabilities of the person chosen as DM/Conductor. Sometimes the title of Drum Major vs the title of Conductor as far as how a corps refers to that position will give you an answer. For example, Phantom Regiment calls all three "conductors", whereas other corps call them "Drum Majors" only, whereas some other corps have one or two "Drum Majors" and one or two "Conductors" where their responsibilities differ; long story short, it all depends on the corps and their situation (especially when it comes to drill and how many sets of hands they need so the members can see while they have crazy drill in every direction) as well as what is expected of them traditionally.

The Bluecoats "Blue Way" camp, June 4-5, includes a track for drum majors. More information can be found on the 'Coats web site.

The current Bluecoats Drum Majors also participate in the instruction.

Interactive Clinic for Drum Majors

Led by former Bluecoats Drum Major and current Jeffersontown High School (KY) Director of Bands Charles Stewart, students attending the 2016 Interactive Clinic for Drum Majors will cover the following key areas to help them prepare for their role as Drum Major for their high school or college:

•Student Leadership Training & Development

•Effective Audition Preparation

•Conducting fundamentals

•Expressive & Non-verbal communication

•Conducting a “Live” Ensemble

•Verbal Commands & Salutes

I liked the George N. Parks DM camps, myself ('83-'84)

My daughter went three years to the Vivace leadership camp at West Chester U in PA, the first as a bass drum section leader with Tom Float as her teacher and the second two as DM under George Parks. She loved all three years.

My daughter went three years to the Vivace leadership camp at West Chester U in PA, the first as a bass drum section leader with Tom Float as her teacher and the second two as DM under George Parks. She loved all three years.

It's actually called the George N Parks Drum Major Academy now, and they have camps all over the country every summer. I've sent my drum majors there for years (also to WCU). It's a great camp run by really great people.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Huh? I'm confused. What does "in time" mean?

It's actually called the George N Parks Drum Major Academy now, and they have camps all over the country every summer. I've sent my drum majors there for years (also to WCU). It's a great camp run by really great people.

WCU and Kutztown are registered through Vivace, led by John Vilella of WCU fame, looking at your link. I think the Parks DM camp is integrated into the larger Vivace "thing" at WCU and KU. Not a big deal...the whole camp is wonderful. We ALWAYS send our DMs to one of the Parks camps.