Show Concept Rankings - 2016

I vaguely remember an argument about the true meaning of propaganda occurring earlier this year. May someone correct me if I'm wrong?

• Like 1

What we define as propoganda may just be in the eye of the beholder.

In fact, after the speech, the FBI deemed King a major enemy of the United States. As quoted below from a report.

Both the Right, and the Left engage in " Propaganda ". Hoover was in charge of the FBI during MLK times. The Left engaged in " Propaganda " on Hoover too. The Left put out the storyline that Hoover was a Cross Dresser. Its false however, and debunked by just about all Historians as a complete myth and untrue. ( The person that cooked that up, later went to jail for convicted crimes... including perjury convictions ). But yes, there was Right Wing " Propaganda " put out against MLK that were also agenda driven that also had no basis in truth, as it turned out. Advertisers sell us products that are full of " propaganda " on their sales pitch for their products too. But alas, even the US " gummint " knowingly puts out propaganda to sell us ITS products too ( Obamacare pitch :.. " the average US Family will save $2500 per year in premiums when its implemented "......." you'll get to keep your current plan, if you want."...... " you'll get to keep your current Doctor ":. etc.... and yada, yada, yada. )

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah, Tilt and Kinetic Noise did so awfully on Finals Night. Better step it up, Coats.

the shade though XD

• Like 3

I think the term "propaganda" has come to take on a much more negative connotation then it's definition traditionally allows for. From Mirriam-Webster:

Full Definition of propaganda
  1. 1capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions

2. 2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

3. 3: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

It is by no means an inherently "bad thing", and to claim the Cavaliers are promoting a fascist interpretation of King is a huge stretch.

The problem with responding to Channel3 is that everyone does it based on reality and not Channel3's personally constructed code of analysis. When you step outside of Channel3's manufactured rulebook you will always be wrong ... Princess.

There is another option as well. You will be ignored. And if that is the case, at least you wont be called names.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 4

CH. 3 does provide some thought provoking commentary and insights that I do find intriguing, if somewhat a bit over the top, and sometimes to the extreme and/ or head scratching at times. That said, I do encourage him to continue, as it makes me think of things I had perhaps not thought of before... and even if at the conclusion of which, I might conclude the trip with him down Concepts Lane, was not worth it in the end, the mere thought of looking at something new and fresh from posters like CH.3 is a good thing for the daily exercise of the tiny cells found inside my cerebellum.

I agree! the whole purpose of this forum is to discuss various view points and ideas. It's an interesting look at things, and also a subtle reminder of how much the design / concept aspect really rules the success/failure (competitively speaking) these days in DCI land

never change Channel3, never change. :augen51:

all jokes aside, it's an interesting discussion worth having

probably a little soon, maybe a month from now we can really discuss how well the show concepts "Rank" in terms of effectiveness and meaning... even "importance" in our small little world of drum corps

I would agree. One thing that we don't get, are well prescribed show descriptions. Even Michael Boo wrote in another thread that he'll get a detailed synopsis from some, but not all, corps. For the rest of us, we're kind of left to figure it out from sometimes very encryptic show "announcements". I've said it before and I'll say it again, corps could do a much better job of truly describing what it is they're going to be putting out on the field. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we need to have everything spelled out for us - it's part of the fun. But for some of the more complex presentations? Yep, sure would be nice. Edited by drumcorpsfever

I swore I would never do this but here goes nothing. The Blue Knights show is an interpretation of Leonard Cohen's "The Great Event" and it revolves around the idea of the Human Condition. The theme is very apparent if you bother to read the show description that they made readily available

That's not what the show announcement page says:

http://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-announce-2016-show-the-great-event/

The Great Event

Denver CO

"The 2016 Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps is pleased to present, "The Great Event". Our creative mission at the Blue Knights continues to be a commitment to curiosity, experimentation, innovation and fun. Once again we are challenging ourselves to take inspiration from the world around us and create a brand new story. Our 2016 production ponders time, existence and the courage to stay open in the face of change. The ancient philosopher Heraclitus is credited with the quote "The only constant in the universe is change." Change is sometimes wonderful and welcome. Other times it shatters our illusion of safety and strength. It is human to wish for change when there is suffering and many show great courage in this endeavor. Through music, color, imagery and motion the 2016 Blue Knights want to bear witness to the human condition and celebrate how rare and beautiful it truly is that we exist. It may be the end of the story or it may just be the beginning of a great adventure."

- -

No mention of Cohen's experimental piece as the central focal point or thematic essence. His song is listed among several other songs in the lineup.

- - -

Here's what it does NOT say:

Leonard Cohen's 1997 experimental piece "The Great Event" is the creative impetus for our 2016 show where The Blue Knights will explore the theme of the end of the world, and working backward, like Cohen's mention of the Moonlight Sonata played backwards, helps us reverse time, build the courage to change the world, and value our experience here on earth.

THE GREAT EVENT

Song and Lyrics by Leonard Cohen

Its going to happen very soon

The great event, which will end the horror

Which will end the sorrow

Next Tuesday when the sun goes down

I will play the Moonlight Sonata backwards

This will reverse the effects of the worlds mad plunge

Into suffering, for the last 200 million years

What a lovely night that would be

What a sigh of relief, as the senile robins

Become bright red again, and the retired nightingales

Pick up their dusty tails, and assert the Majesty of Creation

- - -

See the difference, Princess? Pay Cohen his royalty fee and refer to the lyrics directly. Otherwise, we're lost.

Edited by Channel3

I vaguely remember an argument about the true meaning of propaganda occurring earlier this year. May someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Change the video or the news item will say, "Local drum corps labels MLK a propagandist."

Change the video or the news item will say, "Local drum corps labels MLK a propagandist."

I love that!