Alternate Spots/Taking advantage of kids

Seems to me that a year marching with another corps would give a mm more experience in all aspects of a season on the road.

It's up to the individual. Want general experience or specific experience?

If you do everything except march a spot, is that experience valuable? Not for me to decide.

I've heard "alternate" horror stories from a surprising number of parents while visiting with corps. Anecdotally, I think it's more common than suspected.

That said, it still depends on how much you want to march with a particular corps, I guess, and how clear your expectations are.

If I'd been offered such a spot with my dream corps, I'd have taken it and probably thanked them for it. If it was a different corps, no thanks.

Mike

Please indicate when a post such as this is acceptable. Is it perhaps after a pre-determined number of posts at which the poster will be determined to merit a response once the coffee-clutch DCP regulars think it's ok?

It's just confirming the somewhat elitist attitude this activity has relative to high school and college band. I still continue to get flak for not having actually marched in a corps.

Replies like this make me wish for the old karma system, or at least a Reddit-style up-vote/down-vote system.

ok - so vote me down because I pointed out the OP registered for an anonymous no-name screen name to make an unsubstantiated claim against a long respected youth organization aka drum corps

I find it highly questionable AND unacceptable to do so

It's the internet equivalent of a drive-by shooting

• Like 4

It's just confirming the somewhat elitist attitude this activity has relative to high school and college band. I still continue to get flak for not having actually marched in a corps.

No it's really not

It's wise to point out the fact that someone registers for a no-name account to go on here and post such a unsubstantiated claim against a drum corps

Edited by George Dixon

Please indicate when a post such as this is acceptable. Is it perhaps after a pre-determined number of posts at which the poster will be determined to merit a response once the coffee-clutch DCP regulars think it's ok?

if you're going to go on the internet and post such a disparaging claim USE YOUR DARN NAME!!?!?@@

IMHO

Otherwise it merits zero response and carries the weight of half a feather

if you're going to go on the internet and post such a disparaging claim USE YOUR DARN NAME!!?!?@@

IMHO

Otherwise it merits zero response and carries the weight of half a feather

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill and insulting other DCP commenters' intelligence at the same time by suggesting we cannot judge for ourselves what is believable and not believable. Let's set aside the theatrics, no one is obligated to post up their real name online.

Also, I do think we can judge for ourselves what merits a response and what doesn't. It's fine to be skeptical of his post, but there's a more tactful way of doing it.

• Like 3

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill and insulting other DCP commenters' intelligence at the same time by suggesting we cannot judge for ourselves what is believable and not believable. Let's set aside the theatrics, no one is obligated to post up their real name online.

Also, I do think we can judge for ourselves what merits a response and what doesn't. It's fine to be skeptical of his post, but there's a more tactful way of doing it.

I you judge this OP as "worthy" of a response then by all means, post one. Stop lecturing me.

I do not. It's a classic troll move. And highly suspect. That's what I was pointing out.

You get the same instruction, travel, food, and experience as any other member.

Really? Alternates get the same experience performing in uniform, in front of the screaming paying crowds, especially the experience performing on Finals night, as any other member? Or is it just the same dog-day rehearsal and instructional type experience in which you speak?

• Like 1