Alternate Spots/Taking advantage of kids

But to look at this in a time perspective only manner negates the very reason, the soul as to why, we all chose to become a family member of whatever corps we marched with; and that reason, that soul, is to 'perform in uniform' with those we call family due to the insane sacrifice and grind we went through during auditions, camps, on tour, on the bus, little sleep with no rest, busted lips, bleeding knuckles, et al. The 'time' you refer to only as deep meaningful experience if the end result is performing with your family instead of cheering them on from the sidelines, not because you are hurt, but because you are an alternate.

So are you proposing that alternates be prohibited, or that alternates aren't as much a part of a corps as everyone else? The whole point is that they may get a spot. I'm inclined to side with your feelings on this issue. It's better NOT to be an alternate, but I also see the value in them, and maybe I'm being a little "Pollyanna", but I don't want to dismiss those who may be in this un-ideal position.

Check the Cavaliers Facebook page and you will see that they are looking for a trumpet player.2 originally contracted members have left spring training.

. I posted this because I find it disrespectful to the contracted and psid alternates to fill these spots.

Well unless you have some skin in the game ( ie, related to one of the alleged current 5 trumpet alternates in the Cavs) even if this rumor you've thrown out here was accurate ( doubt we have the FULL story on this at the moment ), what biz is it of yours on this to say an alternate is " disrespected " ? Are they upset and contacted YOU to go public here with this alleged " disrespect " on the part of the Cavs ? Again, what skin in the game do you allegedly have with this ? You are not directly involved in this process to know the full story.... or are you ? NOW... having said this... if you ARE directly involved with this with the Cavs, then share with us what capacity you have in this relationship with these 5. If the 5 are feeling disrespected at the moment, are all 5 trumpet alternates leaving the Cavs and demanding their money back, do you know ? If the 5 are as upset as you appear to be ( you came onto DCP principally to tell of this alleged " disrespect" of 5 Cavs ), then its logical to presume that these 5 " disrespected " have left the Cavies Corps by now. Have they ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

So are you proposing ... that alternates aren't as much a part of a corps as everyone else?

No; I am proposing that alternates in DCI do not receive the same experience that all other performing members do; they do not get the experience of actually 'performing' which is the very reason to pay that $3,000 per year and sacrifice all of that time and physical commitment. This is not football where a second string player is absolutely necessary because a football team cannot function at all with an empty spot at quarterback; WC DCI corps have actually won the Gold with holes in their Finals show!!!

So are you proposing that alternates be prohibited,...

I am not against an alternate system in DCI per se as long as it is implemented in a manner which gives the person a financial break to be an alternate. Here is an example from the world of advertising that indicates what I deem to be acceptable: A thirty-second commercial during the Super Bowl costs millions of dollars; however some companies take the risk of being 'alternates' in-so-much as they pay far less money to run their commercials only during an overtime situation. If there is no overtime, they do not get their commercials ran, but if there is an overtime they get to 'perform' just like the others but at less cost. To me the same philosophy should apply to alternates in DCI; they should pay less than those who actually get to perform in uniform every show because they are taking the same type of risk that the 'alternate' advertisers take; the risk that no holes will open up for them to perform.

No; I am proposing that alternates in DCI do not receive the same experience that all other performing members do; they do not get the experience of actually 'performing' which is the very reason to pay that $3,000 per year and sacrifice all of that time and physical commitment. This is not football where a second string player is absolutely necessary because a football team cannot function at all with an empty spot at quarterback; WC DCI corps have actually won the Gold with holes in their Finals show!!!

I am not against an alternate system in DCI per se as long as it is implemented in a manner which gives the person a financial break to be an alternate. Here is an example from the world of advertising that indicates what I deem to be acceptable: A thirty-second commercial during the Super Bowl costs millions of dollars; however some companies take the risk of being 'alternates' in-so-much as they pay far less money to run their commercials only during an overtime situation. If there is no overtime, they do not get their commercials ran, but if there is an overtime they get to 'perform' just like the others but at less cost. To me the same philosophy should apply to alternates in DCI; they should pay less than those who actually get to perform in uniform every show because they are taking the same type of risk that the 'alternate' advertisers take; the risk that no holes will open up for them to perform.

Interesting regarding your advertising example. I don't necessarily agree with that comparison, but that's okay with me. No harm intended towards you. Right now I'm just thinking this post isn't totally legit, so I'm less inclined to argue a point.

I don't know about all corps' policy, but at least one Finalist corps states in their form financial contract that if an alternate does not receive a full position prior to the first show, then (s)he gets a 50% refund of the tour fees, so long as (s)he continues on for the full tour, even if later on (s)he actually gets a chance to march for them.

• Like 1

I don't know about all corps' policy, but at least one Finalist corps states in their form financial contract that if an alternate does not receive a full position prior to the first show, then (s)he gets a 50% refund of the tour fees, so long as (s)he continues on for the full tour, even if later on (s)he actually gets a chance to march for them.

If that is the case that sounds very reasonable and fair to me.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill and insulting other DCP commenters' intelligence at the same time by suggesting we cannot judge for ourselves what is believable and not believable. Let's set aside the theatrics, no one is obligated to post up their real name online.

Also, I do think we can judge for ourselves what merits a response and what doesn't. It's fine to be skeptical of his post, but there's a more tactful way of doing it.

illegal use of logic. George created DCP so of course he knows all

:tounge2:

• Like 2

Another Finalist corps charges a lower fee up front (~59% of regular fees), and if the player gets bumped up to full performer by June 1, their total increases to ~83% of regular fees

Just curious what the consensus is on alternate sports.Would you take an alternate spot and pay full fees?

For example, the Cavaliers have 5 trumpet alternates this season.They had two spots open up, but instead of pulling from the five alternates, they advertised for trumpet players on facebook. If you were one of the alternates who paid full price would you be ok with that? What is their responsibility to the alternates who thought they had a chance to march?

Not knowing the real "inside scoop", one could speculate (in a scenario as such) that a certain skill level may be required that the alternates have not yet attained for said particular open position.

In short, it may be akin to a starting quarterback going down before the season begins and the football club seeks a similar seasoned and/or skilled player from the outside to fill the position, all the while the club may have back-up quarterbacks on their roster.

A comment and 2 questions:

I realize they don't pay a fee,but I know that a number of college marching bands have alternates.

Is an alternate considered a "full" member of a corps ?

Do alternates participate in corps functions such as parades ?

i know that in some colleges the alternates march with the band,they just don't perform on the field.